Beowulf cluster

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Folding@Home
After reading Masons thread " Yeah , but does it fold "

I got to wondering about clusters and Folding.
I have questions.
How closely matched does the hardware have to be ? ( Ideally Identical I'm sure )

I have 4 XPM 2500 Bartons 2 are on NF7 boards and 2 are on A7V8X-X boards. would the VIA and Nvidia chipsets be a deal breaker for a 4 node cluster ?
And if so, would a 2 node cluster be enough to run an SMP client ?

Just thinking out loud

Scott

Comments

• Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    Short answer would be no. There are too much info going through each node and a network connection would not be enough...

I found this question better answered here, here, here and here.

Besides I dont think they would fold on time due to the very restricted times these WUs have.

Hope this clears up for you! :D
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Ultra Nexus !!

great links

Just what I needed to know.

Scott
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    I dont see the Panda group supporting a client for a Beowulf cluster client. If you were to put together a 16x C2D cluster like one of the guys in the links mentioned the WU would finish so fast (if the resources were used to its potential) and a large amount of time would be wasted sending/receiving data.

I dont think a cluster could be fully utilized anyway as there would be too much data transfer at which a node would be idle.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    The idea is really cool though :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Short answer would be no.
    Good thing for me, too! Scott and I daily battle it out for Team 93 positions 12 and 13. Yesterday I was ahead, today Scott.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Good thing for me, too! Scott and I daily battle it out for Team 93 positions 12 and 13. Yesterday I was ahead, today Scott.

That's okay. Nexus is coming to pwn you both anyhow :P .
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Short answer would be no.
    Just trying to find a way to make my old hardware do something more than it is.

Leonardo wrote:

Hey Leo, enjoy that 12 spot while you can , maybe even take a screen shot. You won't be seeing it again for a while ! :D

Qeldroma wrote:
    That's okay. Nexus is coming to pwn you both anyhow

Not for a couple of years. ( I hope )

Scott