Favourite Retailer

MathsParMathsPar New
edited September 2007 in Hardware
Who's your favourite retailer and why?

I think the way to win loyal customers is great customer service and when I started out building my new PC at the start of the summer all the retailers looked the same to me really. After narrowing down my hardware choices most of the cheapest deals were with Scan Computers. They accounted for 90% of my parts.

Out of around 8 things I bought from them, 1 didn't arrive on time. However they had dispatched it in plenty time, it was the couriers fault. I complained to them about the courier taking ages just to vent some anger but didn't expect a reply. Today I got a 2 page email from Scan apologising about the whole thing and saying they've even passed the details onto the couriers head office cause Scan are one of the couriers biggest contracts. Even if that comes to nothing it still makes me feel valued as a customer.

Also my monitor came with a wrong power cable but I found a spare around the house, Scan gave me £5 off of my next order even though I told them I'd found a spare.

Any other customer service details like adding onto existing orders have all gone smoothly and the people who answer the phones are always pleasant.

Now all Scan have done here is being nice to a customer but now I'm always going to go to Scan first when looking for a new part. Why do some retailers not get this??

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    newegg. Because it's Newegg.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2007
    Newegg, for same reason explained above.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I'm also a fan of NewEgg. I usually check MicroCenter first (since they have a B&M location about 15 min. from my house), then I check NewEgg.

I just recently had a really good experience with NewEgg. I ordered a stick of RAM for my old Notebook, because it wasn't quite keeping up with running Trillian, F@H, BitTorrent, and Civ4 PTBS all at the same time. The stick I got was bad. I wrote to NewEgg to ask for a RMA number. The rep told me that since I was such a good customer, she would just send me a new one without the RMA process. The new one works fine, my laptop is like a new man, and I have a new geeky keychain.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Has anyone mentioned NewEgg yet?

Seriously tho... NewEgg is the first place I look for almost anything because they have several pictures of everything that is included with the item, they process orders faster than anyone I have ever purchased from, and they either have the lowest price or are within 1% of whoever does have the lowest price.

They also have an easy to navigate website without crap that I don't need stabbing me in the eyes so I can pick my criteria and drill down to what I want in a matter of seconds.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    Wow all this talk about retailers and no one mentions Newegg?! Blasphemy! Herac--Oh wait, yeah..Okay.

But yeah. I've had my problems with the egg, but the only reason for that is that god hates me. Granted I don't buy anything from there now merely because I don't have friggin' plastic and they want me to bind plastic to my paypal account... Oh well. Great selection of jargle if the site is a little difficult to navigate sometimes..
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Years ago I would purchase from a variety of online vendors. As Newegg grew bigger and better, I gradually shifted most of my online purchases to them. My online computer tech purchases now are almost exclusively Newegg. Why? Good prices, superb inventory, fast turnaround after the sale, and flexible shipping. 'Fexlible shipping?' Yeah, living in Alaska, I take very particular notice to shipping. Free shipping? Oh, that's just hilarious. Up here? No how, no way. Additionally, shipping for most items starts at about $17. Newegg almost always will ship multiple items with the shipping charge rising only slightly from the $17. In other words, I get a good economy of scale if I order multiple items.

Due to shipping costs, I also frequently shop at our local CompUSA, which is our ONLY physical retail dedicated computer parts store. But anyway, if I only need a single item or something heavy, like an uninterruptable power supply or a computer case, then I purchase at CompUSA. No matter how good Newegg is, when shipping is included, they just can't usually compete with my local store heavy or single items. Now if comes to specialty items, like high performance motherboards or RAM, I usually have to order online no matter what. CompUSA's RAM and motherboard inventory here is really sad.

There's BestBuy also, but I can hardly make myself go in there without wanting to get violent and smash all the blaring stereo equipment. BB also seems to be a magnet for the brain dead who need a place to wander around. There are also mom & pop computer shops in town, but the parts selection is pathetic and prices are crazy high. Understandable - there's just no way the mom & pops can keep million dollar inventories and compete through volume sales.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Umm, hears a new one for ya, Newegg for hardware.

Two main reasons pics and price.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2007
    Being as mathpar is UK based and newegg the spawn of satan don't ship to the UK, I use Aria in the UK and very occasionally overclockers.co.uk
    edited September 2007
    Being as mathpar is UK based and newegg the spawn of satan don't ship to the UK
    Newegg (or another business modeled like them) will make it to the European Union some day, I'm sure, if they can hack through the EU bureaucracy. (US bureaucracy is no picnic either, but it hasn't sunk as far as some other places yet.)

Newegg has taken online order fulfillment to an art form. Here's an excellent Anandtech article on Newegg's California facility. Plenty of pictures too. It's a fascinating read.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I buy from Newegg all the time... usually they send stuff 3 day I always get it next day. It helps to be 2 hours from their wearhouse :) I also like Amazon.com & Buy.com.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited September 2007
    dang, all that crap I got from newegg bsing me to the ground... I now solely go to chiefvalue.com

*statement above may not be 100% accurate

zipzoomfly
    chiefvalue
    newegg

I know there were some other ones that I've used as well, but these three (two) tend to be the best. Newegg has better pictures, zipzoomfly sometimes has more written documentation (like on cpus), and zipzoomfly processes orders in about a day rather than two days, which makes the 2 day saver air mail actually worth advertising.

Physical Stores:
    CompUSA
    MicroCenter
    To a much lesser extent: Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, Office Max

Unfortunately CompUSA left here. Overhead is ridiculous here for retail, especially with Best Buy headquarters stationed like 10 minutes from my house.
  • edited September 2007
    Whoever is cheapest and hasnt managed to piss me off in the past. Don't really beleive in brand or store loyalty, if somebody sells what I want at the price I'm willing to pay thwn I'm happy to buy it but that's as far as it goes.

For hardware the UK sites I use most are Scan and Overclockers.
    edited September 2007
    Before anyone tries a new vendor to help determine their favorite, their first stop should be Resellerratings. That gem of a site can save you a lot of heartache and frustration, seriously cutting in to the sales of sad songs and little violins.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Apple

in all seriousness...

hahahahahahahahahaha

newegg FTW
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited September 2007
    I wish I could use new egg, but I am a canadian so no luck for me.. there are no online vendors I have bought from except dell, they were a really good experience for me and I got my computer a week earlier than estimated ship date so that was awesome/
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2007
    fatcat wrote:
    Apple

in all seriousness...

hahahahahahahahahaha

newegg FTW

I love you, purely for your avatar.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    yagga wrote:
    dang, all that crap I got from newegg bsing me to the ground... I now solely go to chiefvalue.com

chiefvalue = newegg.

"Copyright© 2003-2007 ChiefValue.com, a Newegg Inc. Company. All Rights Reserved"
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2007
    Unfortunately, no newegg in Canada.

IMO, NCIX.com is the newegg of Canada right now. Awesome prices and selection. Very good weekly sales and affordable shipping. Don't have to pay PST in Ontario since they are in British Colombia as well :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Before anyone tries a new vendor to help determine their favorite, their first stop should be Resellerratings. That gem of a site can save you a lot of heartache and frustration, seriously cutting in to the sales of sad songs and little violins.

My company is even listed at Resellerratings :)