Morrowind Idiosyncrasies

MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
edited November 2003 in Gaming
Is this game supposed to crash as much as it does. I just bought it from Best Buy for $20 and am displeased at the random crashing that goes on.

I know it was a buggy game when it first came out, but I patched it to the newest version, and thought that these things would have been sorted out by now.

Does everyone here, who plays or has played it, have these problems?

Comments

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I played it extensively and never had crashes ever. What vid card/driver set? Oh, and I'll jump in early and pre-quote prime "http://www.memtest.org" =P
  • MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited November 2003
    Well, maybe I should update my vid drivers. I think I'm running some old Dets on my GF4 TI4600, not at home now, but will check which version later.

May try a memtest later tonight.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    There is a major issue with AMD systems..... I can't remember what the fix was though..... just make sure you have it patched up to start with.

NS
    edited November 2003
    Intel system, and I did first start the game with the most recent patch. I'm thinking it may be a driver issue. Thanks.
    edited November 2003
    Oh sorry. Have sigs turned off and missed where you said you patched it.

I take it you are already running the latest version of whatever video drives, sound card drivers, etc?

Strange. Only other time I have heard about it doing this is on old AMD systems (Thunderbirds, etc).

NS
    edited November 2003
    44.03 on the Nvidia Dets, which are from July of this year, maybe I should try the new 5X series of drivers.

The sound drivers are 5.12.2.252 from creative for my SBLive 5.1.

I guess it couldn't hurt to get the latest Nvidia Dets.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    My game would freeze in the long load times between zones often. But that was with my old system, so I blame the bad capacitors on the motherboard. ;)

Never crashed on me tho...
    edited November 2003
    It has typically been crashing when I do a quickload, or a when new exterior or interior loads.
    edited November 2003
    Mancabus had this to say
    It has typically been crashing when I do a quickload, or a when new exterior or interior loads.

Thats the same problem that the game had with old Athlon systems, so it may be worth looking into that still...

NS
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Keto: the correct url is www.memtest86.com :D
  • edited November 2003
    Its not vid drivers. My game used to crash because of a certain stick of memory i owned. Thus the reason I dropped for 768 mb down to 256.

I'd say to check the memory. Oh Morrowind is kinda picky about operating systems too. It only affect load times for me but it might be causing your problem, unless you are running XP... or 98. basically it didn't like 2000 for me. Just email the company, they've got a great support staff, they helped me figure out it was my memory.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    Try updating all your drivers (chipset, sound, video, etc.) first, and if that doesn't cure it, I'd backup the save game file and re-install the game.

Also run windowsupdate and get windows up to date (I've had this fix a lot of unexplainable problems...)

if none of that works, then I'd run memtest.
    edited November 2003
    I updated to the latest Nvidia Dets and that cured it. I can go through multiple, steal, get caught, quickload romps without it crashing. Only one crash so far since updating.