Deus Ex 2 Demo --> Here

2»

Comments

• astroworpastroworp Northridge, CA
    edited November 2003
    deus ex is my favorite game, ever. in my opinion, judging from the demo, the second iteration is absolutely nothing like the original... i kind of feel that the original is better, and reading user reviews of the demo at BluesClues, i'm not in the minority. there's even a petition to have the game haulted and made more like the original. apparently it caters too much to xbox users, much to the dismay of pc enthusiasts.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2003
    Whohoo. See ya later guys,
    edited November 2003
    Hmmm, First impressions, The graphics arn't as good as the first on, they're a little jerky and not as clear. We'll see.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I keep getting mangled pixels everywhere (you know when you overclock and on Doom 3 for instance, you can see the missing texels) but they dissapear as I get closer...

And yeah, runs slow on my machine too (AXP 2400+, Radeon 9700 Pro).

NS
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    :shakehead :bawling: :banghead: :(

That is all I have to say.
    edited November 2003
    I think it is a lot like the original. Because if you think about it, you are only playing a demo at the moment and you don't know any of the story line to go along with it. And the rest of it still seems to play the same.

What is it that everyone is finding so different?

NS
    edited November 2003
    I've just read a forum full of complaints about the demo and from the little I've played of it I agree with them.
    Why do game manufacturers do this, they have a brilliant game then bring out a follow up that distroys everything that made the original great? like Tomb raider AOD, I think unless they do some serious reworking Deus x 2 will flop, It's a crying shame.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited November 2003
    It's just a demo. C'mon now...wait until the finished product comes out.

If EIDOS goofed on the presentation of this demo, oh well, but most people who were serious about the first one will get the second one for the story and the rest will be secondary.

Maybe EIDOS is just testing the waters with this one to see the reaction, and it'll adapt and overcome in the end.
  • edited November 2003
    I dunno, I ran it at 1024x768 and it was jerky as heck with 3xaa so I backed it down to 800x600 with 3xaa and it was smooth and I actually enjoyed what I got to play until I got my butt blown off.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, I'm not feeling this game anymore. The demo is awful. I took it off my Christmas list unless something changes :)
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Hated the graphics - any game that's written for console always looks washed out to me. It played just fine, nice n smooth on 9600Pro 3.7 Cats @ 1024 X 768.

The controls remap dropped every time I changed levels - surely this will be fixed in real game. I don't use WASD controls.

The voice acting was brutal compared to DeusEx.

Combat was crappy. No 'hit location' damage.

Several features which made the original so immersive, for example stats points allocation, missing.

Hoo boy, I may be waiting for more reviews before buying now. Gritting my teeth, as the original is one of my all time faves.

There's even a petition to Eidos/IonStorm asking them to stay in development longer on the PC version. I signed, tho I don't believe for a second such petitions have any chance of success.
    edited November 2003
    See, this is exactly why people are getting the wrong idea. Stat points and everything are still going to be in the game, but they arn't in the demo due to it being so cut down and short...

NS
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    No, they're not in the game. Wrong. Go to Gamespy and read the 2 write ups.

There are still biomods (usable and in the demo) and weapon mods but no stats to apply to skills.

Adding to above, the interface is awful (huge fonts) and the inventory management is a drastic negative change. And virtually all NVIDIA graphics card users report very poor/unplayable frame rates, despite the fact that 1) the graphics quality is reduced in the demo to save space and 2) it's supposed to be optimized for NVIDIA, there's even an NVIDIA splash screen as the game loads. I had no problems on a 9600Pro, it was completely smooth tho ugly.

Universal ammo. Weak shock stick. No leaning. No reloading. AI 'advisors' that pop up any time you trigger an event and take up the whole screen, even if you're in the middle of a firefight. Shoot a guard in the face (once) and have him ignore you. 3-4 more headshots to kill him (developers have acknowledged this needs a tweak). Sneak up behind him with a knife out (that's gonna take about 10 hacks to take him down), he'll turn and start shooting when you get close.

The developers are defending themselves by saying it's the story that drives the game, but the critisisms are pretty much universal, even on ION Storm's own forums.

Again, I'd rather be talking about the good things as I loved the original. If the demo is truly representative of gameplay, they've got another Daikatana on their hands, tho the XBox version will probably sell well.
    edited November 2003
    Oh, so I stand corrected. That sucks.

Yeah, the reloading, or lack of seems dodgy, makes it hard to keep count of ammo. Also the universal ammo thing REALLY sucks. Oh look, my guns run out, lets use this shock stick... no wait, that doesn't work either AS IT ALL USES THE SAME AMMO!!

I turned off the AI advisors thing, as that annoyed me.

Yeah, I picked up on the headshots too, it was like "BANG, good he's.... WTF, BANG BANG, now he should be.... BANG BANG BANG ****ING DIE".

NS
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited November 2003
    Anyone noticing a trend with these new sequels? They suck. Lets pray HL2 doesn't. :(