Drives

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited September 2007 in Science & Tech
Hey guys,

I had some problems with PC earlier, and had to re-install windows. Windows has now assigned the operating drive as D: My other drive used for just pictures and other spare stuff assigned as C: Now anytime you try and install something it trys and install it on C:, which is not the main drive. How can I switch the drives, eh?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    So the drive with Windows on it is now D:\? If so, here's how to change the drive designations:

Go to Administrator Tools/Computer Management. Inside Computer Management, click on Disk Management. This will open up a graphic representation of the drives in your computer. Right click on the rectangular symbols for the drive the option "Change Drive Letter and Path..." will appear. Select that. You will not be able to (at first change) C to D and D to C because you would then have two drives with the same name. So, as an intermediate step, start with what is currently C and change it to X or Z - that way the 'C' designation is made free and you can then assign it to your operating system drive. Once done, then you can name the drives respectively C and D.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    So the drive with Windows on it is now D:\? If so, here's how to change the drive designations:

Go to Administrator Tools/Computer Management. Inside Computer Management, click on Disk Management. This will open up a graphic representation of the drives in your computer. Right click on the rectangular symbols for the drive the option "Change Drive Letter and Path..." will appear. Select that. You will not be able to (at first change) C to D and D to C because you would then have two drives with the same name. So, as an intermediate step, start with what is currently C and change it to X or Z - that way the 'C' designation is made free and you can then assign it to your operating system drive. Once done, then you can name the drives respectively C and D.

I am pretty sure there is one problem with this though, programs that are already installed on D: for example will once the drive changes be trying to find it's contents on drive D: even though it's on drive C: now. I don't know how to remedy this, but there is a program out there that can scan for and fix these changes. It would make it easier though if it's a fresh install. Though if that were the issue, I'd just reinstall.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited September 2007
    I am still trying to figure out how this happened in the first place. I ran a scan for spyware and it froze. After that the comp just would not boot. I had not done a fresh install for quite awhile so I just said to heck with it and did a new install. For some crazy reason, when windows was finally installed, the two drives were backwards as far as drive letter.

I will try to change it, if it jacks something up I will just wipe and start over.

Thanks for the help guys
    edited September 2007
    Well guys,

I tried to change the drive letters and no luck. It would not let me change them no matter what. It came up with a message saying that Windows would not allow me to change the drive designation for the boot system. So if it causes too much of a problem I will reinstall windows. Downloading EQII is a pain in the arse!!!!!!!

Thanks guys,
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    You have to boot into a disk utility, such as acronis disk director, and flag the proper partition as active and bootable. Once that's done, you'd have to go into the recovery console and type fixboot/fixmbr. Drive letters fixed, but there's a chance of data loss in the process (Very small).
    edited September 2007
    Good deal. I will try.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited September 2007
    It probably happened during install. Some smartcard/removable media card slots get detected as C: Naturall;y the windows installer goes to the next available drive letter.

Is this a Gateway by chance?

I've disconnected the card reader from the motherboard then reconnected after windows boots up for the first time.