computer freezes up at startup screen

edited September 2007 in Hardware
earlier today i downloaded 2 moons to try it. after installling it my pagefile usage was all the way up and i was lagging so i restarted to free up memory like i normally do and now my pc keep freezing up at the startup screen right before where you log into windows. i'm able to use my computer by safe mode but can't start it up normally and i don't know why. can anyone help please?

Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Memory:382MB RAM
Graphic Card: ATI RADEON EXPRESS 200 SERIES
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
used memory: 45.7 GB
free memory: 44.0 GB

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    From within Safe Mode, can you delete this "2 moons" stuff? (I assume it's a game.)
  • edited September 2007
    it didn't seem make any uninstall options when i installed it so i tried to delete the folder and remove any traces of it from my registry after that but its saying access is denied and i can't delete it

edit:apparently my account(the main account) doesn't have admins rights in safe mode. i chose the account named admin and it let me delete it.

edit #2 two moons is a game my friend darkwolf plays. i wanted to try it so i downloaded and installed it but after it finsihed installing my page file memory (its the same as ram right?) was full
    so i restarted like i normally do when its full but it froze up at the blue startup screen and didn't resume
  • edited September 2007
    i backed up everything i needed to my external hard drive earlier and deleting some things i don't need getting read to use the restore cds that i made when i first used my pc. also i deleted two moons from my pc and registry(it was a pain because at min resolution fix-it utilities it takes up the whole screen and i had to tab to the next button and sometimes missed cause i couldn't see it and i couldn't drag it past the top of the screen either)
    but i just put the first restore cd and restarted cause i never used them before and i figured i get the option to choose to boot from them or normal bootup at the black screen. it never seemed to give that option but it sent to the startup screen and got passed it this time but i'm not sure if its fixed or i just got lucky.
    used memory: 45.7 GB
    free memory: 44.0 GB
    That is probably the status of the hard drive's storage volume. If you wish to see how much physical memory (RAM) different applications and Windows is using, do Ctr-Alt-Del and click on the Processes tab. Look under the Mem Usage column. (1024K = 1MB)

Stay with us. We'll be glad to help you with any hardware or software problems and help you learn also.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I'm sorry, not quite understanding you, Sir. Is your computer working the way now it was before the game installation?
    page file memory (its the same as ram right?)
    No. Page file is virtual memory, a portion of the hard drive temporarily assigned for memory.

I hate to break it to you, but you already probably know it, but your computer will have precious little physical memory (RAM) available for programs or games after you boot. Just normal functions and Windows itself will take up to half or the majority of your memory. I am surprised you have so little RAM.

Have you considered purchasing more? It would make a huge difference in the performance of your machine, mean huge.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    I've heard the Page File referred to as "Pretend" memory.
  • edited September 2007
    I'm sorry if I'm not clear with what I'm saying. What happened was I heard about a game called 2Moons it seemed cool so I decided to make an account for the game and download it. After downloading and installing it my page file usage was full so i restarted to free it up and that lead to this problem I'm posting about. Right now my pc is running in normal mode but I'm not sure if the problem is fixed or not.