Overclocking a Presario? (With Vista?)

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Hardware
Hey everyone

I've been trying for ages to figure out my chipset and start the overclocking process on my compaq persario SR170NX...

so I guess my question is it possible to over clock this particular model considering the difficulty of trying to find the right chipset?

If it's not. Would it be possible to overclock that Radeon X1300 Pro I've got in there and what would be the process of doing that?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    You really can't overclock a machine that you didn't build yourself. You need to access overclocking options in the BIOS and major OEMs such as HP/Compaq remove all those features from the BIOS so that people don't blow their computers up and call support asking what went wrong.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    So there is absolutely NOTHING on the machine I can overclock? Including my own seperate video card?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited September 2007
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    So there is absolutely NOTHING on the machine I can overclock? Including my own seperate video card?

That's a different story. Overclocking on video cards is typically handled by software. That, of course, depends on the video card in question.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Your only bet to OCZ (EDIT: hahaha...type that too many times a day) OC the CPU would be Clockgen (get it here: http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php) to overclock the CPU.

For the Video Card, you can overclock with Rivatuner for an Nvidia card and ATI-tool for an ATI card. Being an HP/oem will not affect that as long as the card is installed into a slot on the mobo, the integrated video sometimes does not work with those tools.
    edited September 2007
    I already got clockgen...it's the main reason I tried to figure out what chipset I had lol (with no avail :()

And thanks for the info RyderOCZ :)
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot
    is happy now

got my video card up to almost 100 FPS from 78 :D

w000t!
    Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    is happy now

got my video card up to almost 100 FPS from 78 :D

w000t!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Even if you did find a way to overclock your Presario's CPU, I would highly recommend against doing it. The CPU cooling is most likely not adequate. Additionally, if your overclocking software allowed you to boost voltages, it could destroy the OEM motherboard in the computer.

If you really want to overclock, use your energy to research overclocking-capable components and to start planning for your next computer, which you can build yourself!
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited September 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Your only bet to OCZ (EDIT: hahaha...type that too many times a day) OC the CPU would be Clockgen (get it here: http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php) to overclock the CPU.

For the Video Card, you can overclock with Rivatuner for an Nvidia card and ATI-tool for an ATI card. Being an HP/oem will not affect that as long as the card is installed into a slot on the mobo, the integrated video sometimes does not work with those tools.

I have a dell xps with a quad core q6600, will this make it so I can overclock it using this program because I can not do it through bios.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    No.
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Even if you did find a way to overclock your Presario's CPU, I would highly recommend against doing it. The CPU cooling is most likely not adequate. Additionally, if your overclocking software allowed you to boost voltages, it could destroy the OEM motherboard in the computer.

If you really want to overclock, use your energy to research overclocking-capable components and to start planning for your next computer, which you can build yourself!

I've never noticed a problem with the cooling...It's NEVER gone above 65 (and it's rare to get it close to that). Which is ALOT better then my old CPU that liked to run at 68 degrees idle :-/

Also, I found on compaq's website that the max voltage for the FSB is 4x266 Mhz and it's only currently at 4x199.

Would I need a BIOS hack or could I do it without one?

p.s. Start planning my next computer? Man...this one isn't even 6 months old! It's still under the manufacture's warrenty lol /me hates HP customer support
    edited September 2007
    65 is absolutely on fire for a CPU these days.
    edited September 2007
    lol I figured something like it :P

I ment it's only gone close to there when trying to max the core and memory on my video card...

It's been running for a couple hours now at 48 idle...

/me goes back to the question regarding OCing the CPU.

p.s. here's the specs for the motherboard http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864922&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3340210&lang=en any idea what chipset I have? Can't seem to find it on Clockgen :-(
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited September 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    No.

why
    edited September 2007
    Because it isn't meant to be overclocked. Clockgen is a temporary program used for testing extreme settings, nothing more.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Bone wrote:
    I have a dell xps with a quad core q6600, will this make it so I can overclock it using this program because I can not do it through bios.
    The only way this program will let you OC is if the program finds a supported "clockgen" (Clock Generator) on your motherboard, which I am 90+% sure it will not, but you can do no harm in downloading it and trying.

It just might reboot your PC when you run it though, while it scans.
    edited September 2007
    It's been running for a couple hours now at 48 idle...
    Which confirms exactly what I was thinking - the stock cooling configuration with your computer is not adequate for overclocking. If the computer is already 48*C at idle - no load and no overclock, you've got no thermal 'headroom'. 9 out of ten chances, if you overclocked that CPU with it's currentl cooler, the computer would shut down or 'freeze' within a minute of moving out of idle into any program that required power.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I admit, I've not overclocked anything newer than Presler series Pentiums (Pentium D9XX dual cores). The high temperatures under full load, at 1 to 1.2GHz overclocks is 52-56*C. Idle temps (full load, high overclcock), depending on room temperature are 39-42*C.

Please, if someone with C2D and or Quad OC experience thinks I'm being too conservative with my advice to Mr T, please post.

Mr T, I just don't want to see you seriously damage a nice, new system. Sorry, but off-the-shelf computers are designed to run at a specific level, with very few allowable variables.
    edited September 2007
    48 idle is about 20C warmer than what good cooling can achieve. I'm not even talking about water, or air cooling that's so loud you can't hear your hard drives. It's also 7C away from unsafe levels.
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Which confirms exactly what I was thinking - the stock cooling configuration with your computer is not adequate for overclocking. If the computer is already 48*C at idle - no load and no overclock, you've got no thermal 'headroom'. 9 out of ten chances, if you overclocked that CPU with it's currentl cooler, the computer would shut down or 'freeze' within a minute of moving out of idle into any program that required power.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I admit, I've not overclocked anything newer than Presler series Pentiums (Pentium D9XX dual cores). The high temperatures under full load, at 1 to 1.2GHz overclocks is 52-56*C. Idle temps (full load, high overclcock), depending on room temperature are 39-42*C.

Please, if someone with C2D and or Quad OC experience thinks I'm being too conservative with my advice to Mr T, please post.

Mr T, I just don't want to see you seriously damage a nice, new system. Sorry, but off-the-shelf computers are designed to run at a specific level, with very few allowable variables.

Well I ended up using clockgen and physically opening up my computer to see the max voltage my power supply could take. So what I've come up with is, a 3.6 GHz CPU (600 Mhz higher) and it's running fine. The only other thing I had to do is use ATI-Tool and overclock my video card to 641.25 core with 409.50 memory (regular 596 and 400) as well as override the default fan settings to run at 50% default rather then the pathetic 20%.

No problems since...Although I still want to max it further lol
    edited September 2007
    3.6 GHz CPU (600 Mhz higher)
    On a bone stock Presario. I am impressed!
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2007
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    p.s. Start planning my next computer? Man...this one isn't even 6 months old! It's still under the manufacture's warrenty lol /me hates HP customer support

You warrenty has just been voided. Nice work with the OC but I wouldn't Push it too far coz if it goes bang...