Options

Overclocking E6300 with p35-ds3r

edited September 2007 in Hardware
I had a thread on here but I guess the mods cleaned up the forums a bit.

Before I had the 4300 with my p35-ds3r and now I have the E6300, swapped from our restaurant Dell 9200.

As of now I am only changing the Bus speed to 285. I remember on this board you press ctrl+f1 do get advance access and under that I was told to shut something off, I believe it was to keep my fan running at constant or something?

What are some good sites that have helped you guys understand about OCing?? that you could recommend to me? I know that raising the FSB and the multiplier is what its mainly about, but if you want to go farther, OCing the Ram is another thing to do. SO this means I taking the right steps to OCing the E6300. Other than messing with the voltage, is that about it for OCing CPU?
So here is a SS.
untitledrr2.jpg

Comments

• Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    In Gigabyte´s motherboards, there is an option in the PC Health Menu called: Smart FAN Control Method. If you set this to Disabled, the CPU fan will spin at 12v, therefore at its maximun speed.

Your motherboard supports an FSB of 333. But you always have to check stability in order to "validate" the OCing you are doing...

I recomend you use this version of Prime95. Its multithreaded and will take your cpu (and system for that matter) to its knees.

OCing is about having more for less... but you have to consider not just uping the FSB and voltage indiscriminately. Cooling and memory also takes high importance when overclocking in this platform.

Post you complete hardware specs so we can assist you further. :)
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited September 2007
  • edited September 2007
    Gigabyte p35-DS3r
    Core 2 Duo E6300
    2x1GB Patrio Extreme Performace PC2-8500
    stock cooling from E4300
    Geforce 7300 LE (from Dells Dim. 9200)
    Enermax Liberty 500w
    WD 250GB
    SB Audigy 2ZS

Im planning to get a Tuniq cpu cooler in the future!

I downloaded and installed Prime and read through it briefly, so it's going to stress test my PC, but how do i see the results?

my temp results from core temp say 71*C, why is it saying that? could it really be since its only around 40 under the PC health in the bios.
    edited September 2007
    O.K.
    First you want to run 2 separate instances of prime 95. All you need to do is create another folder called prime95#2 and just copy and paste the contents of the original prime95 folder to it. Then open up the first and then open the second. This will make sure that both cores are being used. Just to let you know 71 celsius is high. That Tuniq you are going to be getting will be worth it. If it reaches anywhere near 80 I would recommend you stop the oc and wait until you get the heatsink.

Prime 95 doesn't really report anything to you unless it fails. Just keep an eye on both windows to make sure it is still crunching away. If it fails it will tell you. Then you want to back off the overclock.

The pc health status in the bios can be adjust according to the thermal output (max temp) of your cpu. I set mine to 70 celcius to set off the alarm to tell me the cpu is toasty. I really suggest backing off a bit and really break in the new cpu when you get the new heatsink. Make sure the new heatsink comes with a 120mm fan and you are set.
  • edited September 2007
    so i just updated my bios like you said in my old thread, and set everything to optimized default. now the temp reads 54*C

how much ram should I use for prime?

what cooling system are you running karma?
    edited September 2007
    Ok. Since you are going for overall system stability I would suggest using the large FFT's setting under torture test. If you think your ram is causing the instability you can always check it by using memtest.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    Bad_Karma wrote:
    O.K.
    First you want to run 2 separate instances of prime 95. All you need to do is create another folder called prime95#2 and just copy and paste the contents of the original prime95 folder to it. Then open up the first and then open the second. This will make sure that both cores are being used. Just to let you know 71 celsius is high. That Tuniq you are going to be getting will be worth it. If it reaches anywhere near 80 I would recommend you stop the oc and wait until you get the heatsink.

This is no longer required. The link I provided hosts the lastes v25.4 which is multithreaded and will generate as many instances as cores you have. In this case 2...

aznheb36,

I would recommend you do not continue overclocking with stock cooling. CoreTemp displays the real temp, so have it as a baseline.

Select "Small FTT" for testing CPU only, or "Blend" for testing both CPU and memory. Prime will allocate RAM automatically, so you dont have to configurate nothing.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    54c is very high. Do not overclock without getting better cooling. Please, listen to me on this, it is imperative.

Do not do anything until you get the Tuniq.
    edited September 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    54c is very high. Do not overclock without getting better cooling. Please, listen to me on this, it is imperative.

Do not do anything until you get the Tuniq.

I would take Thrax's advice on this one.

Thanks for the heads up UltraNexus It looks like I need to update my prime95.
  • edited September 2007
    Time to go shopping again! I love getting stuff in the mail, feels so rewarding

So i took off my side panel on the p180 and set the fans to high and the temps dropped to 45-47*c!

Since this pc is under my desk and kinda of stuffy, would making a 3ft duct as an exhaust help? Im going to try anyway
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    It just might help. Experiment. You can't move the computer so it has better access to fresher air?