Help Me Spend $800 Today for Dual Monitor Conversion

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Hardware
I need to spend $800 today, about three hours from now.

About three hours from now 1400 my time, 1700 EST, I will go shopping and make the purchase. This is year-end remaining funds from a particular account that needs to be spent or it disappears. (typical government)

What I need: Dual monitor PCIE video card, DVI out, and a new, second monitor to go along with my Dell 19" LCD. I will not be able to exceed 24" on the new, second monitor due to space restrictions. (Isn't that a shame - limited only by space restrictions?)

Usage: Dual monitor support for mainly Microsoft Office applications and web browsing simultaneously, with spanning capability. This will be 99% documents, spreadsheets, web pages, and some unsophisticated imagery. 3D acceleration is irrelevant. NO gaming and infrequent AVI/MPEG/MOV. What is most important here is text and border clarity (Excel, tables, etc), even lighting, and decent monochrome gray shading. This computer is and will be employed mainly for research, analysis, and reporting through email, word processing, and spreadsheets. Some Microsoft Powerpoint work as well. The main intent here is to efficiently move around between documents at full page viewing, cut and paste....you get the picture. Probably the dual monitor software will be more important than the particular card model itself. Are we talking Nvidia here? My only experience with dual monitor drivers/software is Quadro cards. It will be a waste of money of the card is great gamer but the dual monitor software is amateurish. I'd love the Quadro software, but budget does not allow.

Specifications of system for the new second monitor and new video card:

Dell Optiplex GX280, PCIE. I assume this is what the specs are. I am locked out (system administator's groups settings) from System Information and Device Manager and can't tell you more. I have no idea what PSU is in this Optiplex. I am assuming it would be best NOT to get a card with a high energy draw. Sorry for not having done more research, but this shopping opportunity was just sprung on me today. (I like this kind of last minute tasking! :D )

Source of parts. This will be local purchase I make today and must be at the Anchorage CompUSA store. If you help me with my request, use 99515 for store location if you need to determine part availability. No, I CANNOT order any parts from anywhere. No, there is NO other physical store where I can make the purchase.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I'm on it Leo :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    YES - hoping your eagle eyes would see this! I saw the PNY 7600GS 512MB. It seemed to be what I needed, but then noted it only has one DVI output. Arrggh. What about this 8600GT Will that be too big of a power draw for the Optiplex's PSU?

Oh, forgot to mention. OS for the system is Windows 2000, V5, SP4

Uggh - apparently the 8600GT is delivery only.
    edited September 2007
    It says they have them in stock... but give them a call to be 100% sure... I would call but I am at work.

The LCD is a very good monitor, we are using 250 these at Howies Game Shack and have only had one have issues. Also the GPU has gual head DVI and uses less power than any other options...

VX2245wm 22-inch LCD Multimedia Monitor
    Product Number: 341242
    Brand: ViewSonic

GeForce 8600 GT OC Video Card, PCIe, 256MB GDDR3
    Product Number: 346312
    Brand: BFG Technologies
    edited September 2007
    the 512 version is delivery... the 256 version says in stores...
    edited September 2007
    OK, I'm looking.
    give me a minute
    256MB would work for me, no problem
    edited September 2007
    Hey both items I listed above show instock

Anchorage
    601 E. Dimond Blvd.
    Anchorage,
    AK 99515
    edited September 2007
    Good. Thank you. Now, a couple questions.

How would you compare ATI vs Nvidia with respect to dual monitor drivers/software? The efficiency of all this is very important.

The high end vid cards, ATI and Nvidia, are real power hogs and might overwhelm my poor Dell. What about Nvidia 8600 and and ATI 24-2600 level? (Sorry guys, but I just don't have time to research this here at work before I go to the store.)

Any problems you are aware to run any of the vid cards with Win2000? (don't think it would be, just need to ask)
    edited September 2007
    Its hard to say in Win 2000. As for driver support Nvidia has top notch drivers for all their cards. ATI currently offers great drivers also, bt I can't comment on how they work within Win 2000.

Power wise I think the 2600 uses more power than the 8600, but either or they both use lower power than the 2900's and 8800's.

Give me 20 minutes to muster up some power charts :)
    edited September 2007
    8600GT 256MB = 130 watts idle 190 watts at 100%
    2600 XT GDDR3 = 138 watts idel 210 at 100%
    2600 XT GDDR4 = 160 watts idel 220 at 100%

The X300 card base spec'ed for that pc runs:

X300 64MB = 92 watts idel 152 at 100%
    edited September 2007
    Thank you.
    edited September 2007
    8600GT 256MB = 130 watts idle 190 watts at 100%
    Best I was able to find, it would appear this GX280 has a 305W PSU. Would that be overwhelmed by the 8600GT? The vid will never or almost never run at full load. Almost all of the time it will only be office type applications.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    What we need to find is if the 8600Gt has a PCI-e power connector. I bet the PSU does not have one on it. Although you can get a 2 molex to PCI-e splitter.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Ah.... Government Fiscal Year End spending... I remember those days. Not anymore though. :(
    edited September 2007
    That's easy enough. I'll open up the case right now. I'll be back in a minute.
    edited September 2007
    Ryder, sorry. I read your post too fast.

Here's a picture of the BFG 8600GT OC that Newegg sells. This image shows no six-pin PCI-e power connector. I checked the PSU in the Dell (oh, big surprise), it does not have a PCI-e power connector, but then, hmm, maybe it does. It has a six-pin connector, but it's a female connector, not a six-pin male connector like a standard PCI-e.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    The Video card would have the female, PSU has a male (well...the plastic parts are that way, the actual pins inside are the other way, technically)
    edited September 2007
    From the looks of it the card will run off the PCI-E slot :) which means no cables needed :)

side note:
    Most cards on the market are shipping with splitter cables... If not the total on the monitor and card are cheap enough to let you buy a cable.
    edited September 2007
    A wrinkle - looks like I'll need a power supply. Trying to figure out if this Dell has a proprietary PSU or not. It looks standard, and the ATX plug is 24 pin. The sysadmin, who's also a hardware guy (moonlights in PC repair) says the 305W stock is just not enough for the 8600.
    edited September 2007
    Has anyone here run an ATI 1650 in dual monitor mode? If yes, what was your opinion of the drivers? Efficient? Reliable.
    edited September 2007
    I should note you do have enough in your budget to pick up a good ATX power supply...

But as for the X1650 it should run dual monitors nicely... i think they consume some where around 45watts
    edited September 2007
    Optiplex280 (the exact one I have here at work) uses a Dell PSU. No power switch and power in the upper left corner. I was able to dremel it out to allow any PSU. But for a Government owed piece of equipment... up to you.
    edited September 2007
    No PSU go for the 1650 :) low power and should do the job well...
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    A wrinkle - looks like I'll need a power supply. Trying to figure out if this Dell has a proprietary PSU or not. It looks standard, and the ATX plug is 24 pin. The sysadmin, who's also a hardware guy (moonlights in PC repair) says the 305W stock is just not enough for the 8600.
    Other than what I stated above... ATX plug is standard and the350 watt is Dell's own "concept" of wattage. I've run a upgraded ATI X1600 off stock PSU.
    edited September 2007
    alright, almost out the door. Q, yes, the ATX plug is standard, but you're saying the power plug position on the back of the GX280 IS or IS NOT standard position? sorry, I've got no normal computers here to compare it to.

* ATI 1650 - 45watts, sounds doable
    * yes, there is money for a PSU...but if it won't fit due to the power connector placement on the back (arrrghhh)
    edited September 2007
    Top is GX280, Bottom is normal hole for power supply.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23971&stc=1&d=1189724590
    PSU.jpg 101.9K
    edited September 2007
    PSU place their power port all over the place... Most Case Vendors have a big cut out for any PSU to fit. Dell has a solid sheet metal except for the power port in the upper left. No cut outs for power switch or anything else.
    edited September 2007
    Right. After all the comps I've built and cases I've modded you would think I would have remembered that. I guess one of those things that are so mundane (position of the power plug) that you don't think about it.
    edited September 2007
    I ended up with:

PNY GeForce 7600GS, PCI-e, 512MB
    Samsung 226BW, 22" Widescreen
    DRAM, DDR2 667, Kingston, 2 X 1GB

One of my monitors will run off DVI and the other VGA. The available cards with dual DVI out would have required a UPS upgrade, which would have required either a computer case modification or ordering an upgrade from Dell (proprietary @#%&). Did the best I could with what was available. We purchased a couple other items that we needed, but still had plenty of money left over. Hey taxpayers, we did not squander your money!

It's a shame that the pot of money was generous but all that I could manage was a 22" screen (space restrictions) and a 7600 video card (power restrictions). It will provide what I need and it will do that well, I'm sure.

Thanks to Sledge, Ryder, and Q for jumping in short notice to help.
    edited September 2007
    No prob... that's what friends are for!!! ;)