Can't load windows after setting up raid 10

JaggerwildJaggerwild Niagara Falls NY USA
edited September 2007 in Hardware
Hello everybody(waves HI) :bigggrin:
first post!
I have been reading in this section a couple days waiting for my authorization to pass. A great wealth of info too I may add!
Any who, my reason for posting is I need help, and there's no introduction section either.
So my problem is this, I'm trying to set up a raid 10 on this board GA-N680SLI-DQ6. I have 4 WD Caviers 160 gig 7,200 SATA2 HD"S.CPU is a C2D E6750,2 stick of G-skill 800Mhz 1gig, and a 8000 GTS 320mb EVGA GPU, and OS is Windows XP PRO.
This is a first person shooter set up(gaming).I have set up raids before, but this board is a stumper. There's no bios revisions for it(only FA that is on it already), and no matter what combo I try it will not "see the Raid" when it gets to the"windows set up screen".I can load the raid drivers NP, but once I continue with the install............
I do have it up and running with only one HD as the primary(no raid) and it See's the other but there not used. I have read all the sticks for raid, and followed a few of the links and book marked them also.
Again thank you for letting me join your community, I look forward to getting help and hopefully giving a little too..........
Jaggerwild :cool2:

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    What happens if you try to set up RAID 1? Doing a little research shows you can convert the arrays in Windows. Perhaps you could see if RAID 1 works, then convert to 10.
  • JaggerwildJaggerwild Niagara Falls NY USA
    edited September 2007
    Hello Kwitko!
    And thanks for the quick reply!
    Any combo doesn't work? I have tried raid 1 2 3+5 no go. I'd be happy with them, I think this has something to do with Nvidia using 570 chip sets as they ran out of the 590's. But the mainboard drivers are prolly focused on the the 590 chips, the rev1 boards all have 590 chips and new bios to boot. They don't have this problems but have issues with Quad CPU'S.
    Maybe if I ask Nvidia?
    Again thanks, and any more ideals please let me know!

Jaggerwild
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited September 2007
    Hi Jaggerwild
    Welcome to Icrontic

I'm no expert - from the specs of your m/board the following:-

Storage
    NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI MCP
    2 x Ultra ATA 33/66/100/133 (data transfer rate up to 133MB/sec.)
    6 x SATA 3.0Gbps interface
    NVIDIA MediaShield Technology
    Supports RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, RAID 5, JBOD
    Supports RAID Morphing

Supports eSATA
    2 x Gigabyte SATA2 Controller
    4 x SATA 3.0Gbps interface
    Supports RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1
    Supports AHCI, NCQ

You will also find some useful instruction for the raid setup in your mobo manual pages 75 - 80

Hope this helps
    edited September 2007
    Hello Kentigern!
    Yeah the funny thing is, the Media shield technology from what I've read is a program built into the mainboard drivers. Never seen it as to-date,I have the "MCP user's guide" Lotta good that is if I cant use it.
    I haven't tried the gia-sata controller as I've read it's slower than the nvidia. But I'm gonna seeing as nothing else works. Also I had plained on morphing my old raptors from my other rig to them.
    I've read the whole owners manual, but if the board doesn't do what I ask of it then.......
    I joined another board where they have a Giga-employee there scanning the forums and she said the same thing?
    Someone said that I can set up the raid while in windows, I'm gonna try to remove the drivers then use different ones. I have the 9.53 MCP55 driver now for the mainboard. And the 162.18 for the video drivers. This is my first Intel setup, this is prolly dumb but is there a Intel driver for the C2D E6750(couldn't find one in google)? I know this has to be something simple that I'm over looking, as most computer problems are.
    also I have read that the revision 2 boards use the old 570 chip sets(as they ran out of the 590 chips), so I'm wondering if I load those driver's If it will help me out as there are no new bios yet? At this point I'm guessing it cant hurt.
    Again Thank you and keep the ideals coming PLEASE!!!!
    edited September 2007
    OK, happy to report that I have a raid now off the purple giga-SATA ports. I hot swapped them in windows and it came up?
    Just wanted to stop by and let you guys know and say thank you for all the suggestions!!!!!!!!:D
    Still gotta sort out the north bridge setup but least I'm in for now...

Jaggerwild