WinSMP Folding Assignments Server Down?

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Folding@Home
Anyone else with this problem - can't upload completed WinSMP units nor download new ones. It's been like this going on now 36 hours or more. All four of my home machines are sitting idle.

Typical error message:
+ Couldn't get work instructions.
- Error: Attempt #[way up there] to get work failed, and no other work to do.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    My laptop just got a new work unit via SMP & has submitted a few over the weekend. My main rig at work also has had no issues... :) not sure why you would get that error.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    Do a http://171.64.65.64:8080/ on your browser... if you get an OK, then the server is fine.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Crap! That's four computers sitting idle burning electricity. And I didn't make any system or network changes! arrrrrggggghhhhhh
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited September 2007
    Seems you are the only one with this problem... check your network.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2007
    add verbosity 9 flag and try again at least it will give some more details to look at
    edited September 2007
    If no one else has the problem, then it must be a network problem of some sort. All four home computers have the same problem - failure to upload and download at the Stanford server. Yeah, I've been using the -verbosity 9 flag for years now. Sorry, I'm at work and can't post the details. If I remember correctly, it seems like there was "failure to authenticate...will try later" with server or something like that in the Folding logs. All the logs read essentially the same, that's why I had initially thought it was a remote server issue.

I wonder if my ISP did some type of protocol change or reset with their Internet servers or something. (pardon the non-technical terminology)

On all four computers, Internet and email, and home networking is working completely normally.
    edited September 2007
    I'll try a modem and router reset when I get home.

My firewall is hardware (router) and security programs are A-squared, AVG AV, AVG Anti-Spyware, and similar, none of which have changed in the last two weeks except for routine definitions updates. I don't run a software firewall. I just don't see any variables (recent changes), which could have caused this.
    edited September 2007
    I'll try a modem and router reset when I get home.
    That was unnecessary. When I got home today, all computers had uploaded finished units and had downloaded new ones. All units are successfully processing.

Beats the heck out or me! Must have been something at the ISP or at Stanford. I have made zero changes to any computer, router, modem, or home network settings or software.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    ... Must have been something at the ISP ...

That's what it sounds like to me- mine (Cox) has an intermediary firewall that once was misconfigured to block out certain sites (protected us from honest people for a while) ... and created quite a stir.
    edited September 2007
    And it appears there was no credit for any of the work units, even the ones that completed well within the time constraints.

such is life
    edited September 2007
    Well, it happened again. Stanford servers were good, but a Folding client would not connect with a server for work unit download. This time I shut down all the machines and reset the DSL router and the wireless modem. Upon restart, the affected computer immediately downloaded a new unit as soon as I started the Folding client.

So I guess it was either the router or modem that was causing the problem.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    I've had routers go bad- but I'm using the same modem box I've had for about 8 years. I've not really complained about the router going out- it became an opportunity to get something a little more ... wicked :vimp: .