Smart Fans

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited September 2004 in Hardware

Comments

• CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    As long as you have a heatsink that supports 92mm fans..
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited November 2003
    Got Ya
  • edited November 2003
    Also, I've heard that those thermistor controlled fans take a lot of temp to get them running full speed- not what I'd use as first choice on my heatsink. If you want a variable speed 92 mm fan, I would choose something more like this one. That way you can set the speed you want to run manually.
    edited November 2003
    Ok, I'll look into manually controlled speed now.
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    You could always get the 80mm Thermal Take Smart Fan 2 that blows around 85 CFM @ 58?dB's (400dB's it seems like!). I'm VERY happy with my Vantec Tornado (I hate looking for boxes!)
    edited November 2003
    I got a friend who has the Tornado. Its wicked loud though. If it is hooked up to a fan speed controller, could you adjust the rpm's even though it wasnt meant to have variable speed control?
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited November 2003
    Ya... I've got both of them. Does an excellent job of cooling.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    Thermally controlled fans are not generally a good idea to use on heatsinks; think about this for a second:

Your fan is blowing air into the heatsink. The thermistor for the fan is in the fan frame somewhere, so it's sensing the intake air temperature. Most of these fans only hit full speed @ 60*C or more, which means that your case temperature would have to be around 60*C to get the fan to hit full speed.

If you have a 60*C case temperature, you've got bigger problems than what fan to use on your heatsink.

There are a few exceptions to this:
    Any heatsink that's designed to have air sucked through the fins, rather than blown into them (Alpha PAL 8045)

and a fan that has a remote temperature sensor would be fine, as long as you placed the thermistor correctly.

The best fan for a heatsink, if you want something that you can adjust manually and/or with thermal control, is the Thermaltake SmartFan2.
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited August 2004
    hi,
    guys, is it possible to control vantec tornado 80mm 84cfm?
    http://store.yahoo.com/sidewindercomputers/van80tor.html

if not then,which fan controller can do,that will be cheap/.
    is there any other fan with same cfm 75-85 that can be controlled?
    ......i thought tt smartfan2 is only thremally controlled 50C for high rpm mode.....
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    yes but you need to buy a controller seperately unless you already have one ... just make sure your controller can handle 12v dc.

tt smartfan 2's are either thermally controlled or manually controlled and come with everything needed ...or you can run them 7v dc or 12 v dc ...more options with the smartfan and quieter.

I have an 80mm tornado and a 92mm tornado and an 80mm smartfan. I've tried all three on the slk-945u and the smartfan performs the best and is quietest even when all are hooked to a controller.
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited September 2004
    thanx man,
    can u tell u tell me of any link or something to a fan controller? like how much it costs..
    i should try to get tt smartfan2
    bye
  • nomannoman pakistan
    edited September 2004
    smartfan2 has 75cfm max whereas tornado has 84 cfm.
    how does smartfan2 perform more efficiently with cfm's???
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited September 2004
    The 92mm has a much bigger blade...spinning...thing... in the center, so even less air gets right down into the heatsink, whereas an 80mm has less of a footprint. I dunno about the 80mm tornado though ... those are wicked ... but you really, really don't want a tornado lol. My bro has one. I can't sleep, even with my door closed, and his computer in another room ~30 feet away, I need to shut his computer down...

Btw, I run my SF-2 on thermally controlled on the cpu in my sig, and it works beautifully, and is silent except for when it needs to be kicked up - but even then I never break 33*C and about 2700 rpm with it...
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    noman wrote:
    thanx man,
    can u tell u tell me of any link or something to a fan controller? like how much it costs..
    i should try to get tt smartfan2
    bye
    Here are a few fan contollers ...not expensive usually.
    http://www.svc.com/fancont35.html