Heat Problems with Q6600

2»

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Within a couple weeks, we'll see what a Q6600 G0 stepping on an Abit IP35-E will do, cooled with a TT Big Typhoon. Seller told me he has been running it stable at 3.6. I didn't ask if 'stable' meant full load Orthos or Folding@Home. The price was good though. I wasn't going to nitpick.
  • edited October 2007
    You might need more heatsink than a BT at that overclock, Leo. Even these G0 steppings push a lot of watts at that speed.
    edited October 2007
    You might need more heatsink than a BT at that overclock, Leo.
    We'll just have to see. I'm planning on upgrading all four home computers so need to economize where I can. Prices on processors are good now, and they are showing up in trading forums and eBay. (Leave it to eBay idiots to pay more for Buy It Now than through Newegg!) Should the IP35-E turn out to be the great clocker that it appears, they are only $99 per unit. DRAM is also dirt cheap right now. But alas, premium heatsinks are not found for bargains these days.

Does the Q6600 at 3.6GHz put out more waste heat than a Presler dual core overclocked 1-1.2GHz? That OC requires 1.375 vCore BIOS setting/1.32 actual (Asus Probe).
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I would say it puts out about 140-150W at 3.6 and lets say 1.40 vcore. it is very inefficient in waste heat when you start to cloc kthem, but not as bad as presler off course.
    edited October 2007
    Without looking it up, that sounds to be about the same power consumption/waste heat as my D915 and D930s.