Options

Overclocking E6300 with Tuniq cooling

edited November 2007 in Hardware
I finally got the Tuniq 120mm HSF and is that thing big or what! I started off with stock and it ran fine, temps at around 42. I tried higher numbers around 288-300 and the highest temp was 57 or and PRIME got an error.

I went back down to 280x7 right now and for some reason it still is running high temps at 52, 48.

Right now I have the case side panel off and the tuniq fan at full blast, pretty loud for me. Why is it hitting such high temps at low FSB?

cant find my older thread once again, if the mod is able to find it that would be great!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Do not run the fan at max RPM, it creates static pressure between the fins, and results in dead air that actually increases HSF temps.

You have higher temps at 2GHz than I do at 3.5GHz. One of three things is occurring:

1) Your case stinks.
    2) Your room is too hot.
    3) You didn't use thermal paste and/or didn't mount the sink correctly.
  • edited September 2007
    I have the p180b.

well, 2 is one of the factors i know. the PC sits under my desk and the exhaust fan has a duct that is trailing the hot air away from under the desk. I will have to take off the duct and try it without it, since I have a new HSF.

When i put the arctic 5 compound on, i spread it evenly over the entire cpu with a card like mentioned, then put an extra little dot in the middle and ended up spreading that around. I made sure the 4 twisting screws that hold the HS down were even screwed in and tight so that it would not wiggle.

I put it back to 273x7 for now w/ the case closed, exhaust running on medium speed and the HSF speed back to the middle of the dial. it currently reads 44,46
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, that case needs to get out from under your desk. Your case temp sounds ferocious.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I may be wrong, but it sounds like one of your issues may be that you have used too much thermal paste. I never apply more than the size of a small grain of uncooked rice. The last thing you want is a layer so thick that it does not allow for any metal to metal contact. Just trying to fill the tiny gaps...

Again, I may be in the wrong here but I have NEVER used a card or anything like that to spread the paste, I've always just placed a very small amount on the CPU and then let the pressure of the heatsink do the work of spreading it where it needs to go. Upon removal of the heatsink the paste is always evenly spread. Really, if you use the correct amount, I don't think it matters either way.
    edited September 2007
    I think it's fine. A little too much wouldn't produce temps like that.
  • edited September 2007
    well, after having the A/C run while i was mowing the law, the temps are now 41,43 with the case closed and a little bit pushed out from under the desk.

I guess I need to pull the case out and check see how it does. I have heard to much compound can cause high temps but that will be last thing I check, and when I do i will try putting a dot in the middle and let the sink spread it.

the problem i face with moving my PC is the DVI cable not being long enough, and I know you can get extensions but have heard they can cut down on quality. should I be cautious of this?
  • edited September 2007
    I took off the HSF and the compound looked fine but I reapplied it. THe clockspeed went back to default 266x7 and the temp is as show in the pic. This is without the side panel and the PC sticking out of the desk. with a tower fan blowing nice cool air towards the case.

STill the temps are high.:confused: GRRRRRR

aahs1.jpg
    dsc00174lt3.jpg
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like the problem I was having with my x2 4600. Stock cooling with AS5 only let the computer get so hot it shut itself down. Even with my Cooler master Gemini 2 I'm barely hitting 34 at idle, when I should be room temperature since it's the 65W version. The conclusion I eventually came to is that just maybe the heatspreader is lopsided or something on the inside. 34-36 at 2.4ghz at no load..But with my gemini 2 my max temp is 44 at half fan speed, and 39 at full. I just don't understand it myself.

Also that ammount of thermal paste is a bit much, atleast I think it is.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Also that ammount of thermal paste is a bit much, atleast I think it is.

Agreed. I would use about half that much, but i dont think that is the problem. How hot is your room? I have a 6320 at 2.8 at stock vcore. it runs at like 22-26*c with a OCZ vindicator. Clean up your wires and make sure your airflow is ok.
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, you've got case and/or ambient temperature issues.

I'm running an E6420 @ 3.5GHz w/ 1.475v and it idles at 29C, tops out at around 50C.
  • edited September 2007
    Im using the radioshack IR thermometer and it reads 71. Right now the temps are 36,39 with the case under my desk without the side panel. The A/C is running so the room feels pretty cool.

The wires are very limited and are kept to the side in my p180. The top fan is running low and the back exhaust fan is running medium, while the tuniq is running close to middle speed.

I think it's my room b.c my room gets warm real quick esp. when two 65W bulbs are on the other side of the room.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Your case temp sounds ferocious.
    I think you've already demonstrated that the corner under your desk is dead space for fresh air. No way to mount the computer on the desktop?

Looking at the picture of your CPU heatspreader with the AS5: Ouch, WAY too much paste there. With single core CPUs, a BB-size dab in the middle is enough, if you rotate the heatsink a little when you it contacts the CPU. With dual core though, I not sure I would use that method. I've used the small dot method with single cores, but with all my dual cores I've used a razor blade to spread an almost translucent film of paste. These hot Presler dual cores of my typically run 50-54*C full load, 1.0 to 1.2GHz overclock. I admit though, it's much easier to keep my computer cool than yours, I'm sure.

Here is Arctic Silver's guide, with pictures on how to apply paste on dual core Intel CPUs.
  • edited September 2007
    Im going to follow the artic silver 5 and see if i get changes b.c putting it on the desktop is only lowering it by 1 degree.
    I can either have the HSF blow out towards the exhaust fan or I can have it point down towards the videocard, pci slot etc. ALl this time its been facing the exhaust but it makes the HSF sit as it shows in the picture. It is slightly more to towards one side. right now the temps actually went up to 44,46! ahh
    pictures are with my phone so it isnt the BEST quality

Here are pictures of the procedure. Too much paste it looks like
    dsc06041pl9.jpg
    dsc06042np2.jpg

NEW paste I cleaned both the sink and the cpu sink thoroughly this time, without touching the top like it said in the manual.
    dsc06043ur7.jpg
    dsc06044wf3.jpg
    dsc06045jp4.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Looks like it's not getting an even coating. My reccomendation is set the case on it's side for a bit while it's on. Shut it down then stand it up and check to see how it's spreading.
  • edited September 2007
    alright, its been on its side since the new thermal paste. I will have it run till 3pm and change/check it.
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like a good timeframe to me.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Looking forward to your progress. Yes indeed, those two pictures above show probably five or six times as much paste as is needed. The purpose high quality paste, such as Arctic Silver is to fill microscopic imperfections in the heatsink-heatspreader mating surface. If it were possible (or affordable) to mill the adjoining parts to perfection so that a imperfections could not be observed even with a microscope, then interface material would not be necessary. By applying too much paste, it can actually insulate the parts from each other.
  • edited September 2007
    it's 1030 right now and the temps have gone up to 50,51! this is killing me :mad:
    edited September 2007
    Man. It's just like my setup. The more and more you fight it the worse the temps get. I won the fight with the Cooler Master Gemini 2. That may be an option for you soon.
    edited September 2007
    The gemini 2, I guarantee, is a worse heatsink than the Tuniq.
  • edited September 2007
    re applied everything again but with the tuniq paste it came with. the temps right now are 39,42. The previous time i put paste on, it didnt spread much, it was only about the size of a dime, a bit smaller maybe.

the tuniq sink has some light scratches on the bottom, im not sure if this will cause the problem to because I remember the quality of the sink may be a factor as well? or is that only for deep down scratches?
    edited September 2007
    Thrax, you don't know what you're talking about. The Gemini 2 is most pwn per heatsink ever. This thing cools my chip that the stock couldn't even keep under threshold so well, bathes my memory in nice, cold air and even blows the cool air on my MOSFETS and capacitors. Hell, my northbridge is also down 3C because of this thing.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Your Amish Daddy, The Tuniq Tower is one of the most sought after heatsinks on the market and for good reason.

The Gemini might do just fine, but if you compare the 2 in a test environment, the Tuniq would win.

Not that I want to disagree with you, but I hope I did it nicer than you did, because in this instance, Thrax does have a valid point.

You could have stated something like "I disagree with you Thrax, because......" no need to tell someone they do not know what they are talking about in that manner. :)
  • edited September 2007
    I'm afraid that Thrax does know what he's talking about, YAD. The Tuniq is on par with the Thermalright Ultra 120 and quite a bit better than the Gemini 2 you have. That's not to say the Gemini 2 is a bad heatsink; far from it. But it can't handle the heatload like the Tuniq on a hot, overclocked Intel Quad.
  • edited October 2007
    I have vista ultimate installed on my old samsung hdd and the temps show lower; 30,34. practical? In XP pro it is around 36,39.

I have freed up some space around the work area. I took out my tower speakers from the side and moved my old pc to the side. I think it gives more air flow around the room.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    30-34 is a nice place to be. Are you using coretemp?
  • edited October 2007
    yeah. but 30-34 is from running vista. should there be any difference?
  • KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited November 2007
    Your processor could very well be concave i.e. Not totally flat - it could also be base of the tuniq is not totally flat - you may want to do some research on lapping the CPU or both if you have a few hours!

Have your tried (very carefully I might add) a bare razor blade onto of the CPU and checked if the top is flat?