Fan loud as hell...

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited October 2007 in Hardware
When I first bought my laptop, the fan used to be real quiet except when doing some CPU-intensive stuff, but now its loud all the time, whether or not the work is CPU-intensive. I thought there might be some dust bunnies in the fan, so I got myself an air duster and blasted the laptop from every open are I could find, and a lot of dust came out, but the fan is still loud as hell. It's an HP DV 8000. I don't know how else to cool it down. I can't view them temps either since I don't know what motherboard this thing has.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    Speedfan will let you see the temps most likely, since it does the board detection work itself, but if the fans' loud, it may have dust under the face of the fan (Where the guts are) and there's two ways to fix that. 1, just replace the fan, or 2 take it appart very carefully and clean it out.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    By blasting air into the ducts, you've compacted any dirt and dust towards the HSF, which was bad.

Your fan probably needs to be oiled, and the laptop disassembled.
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited September 2007
    I found this with my laptop after a year or so use, and with mine it was a simple case of a build up of dust blocking circulation, sorted by a quick clearing of fan intakes and heatsinks (as mentioned by Thrax), pretty simple to do as long as you remember where every screw goes being a laptop :wink:
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited September 2007
    I already tried Speedfan and it doesn't work. I tried Motherboard Monitor, but I don't know what motherboard I have.

As for opening up the laptop... well I'm a little scared. this is my only working PC right now, and all my files for FIRST Robotics, School, and all my work in C4D and Photoshop is on this thing. I really don't mind the noise, but will this in any way damage the laptop if I don't clean it out?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    Take a hit, get some white notepaper and an envelope. Write down how many screws you have, when you've got it assembled, and put them in the envelope seperated by the piece of paper for External/Internal.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Actually with alot of laptops, it's better to go through from the top rather than the bottom. The fan is accessable under the keyboard which only requires 2-3 screws to be removed. You may find a repair guide for your model at HP.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    remove the hard drive and keep it somewhere safe - that's where all your data is. Cleaning the fan isn't gonna hurt your data.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    the fan is accessable under the keyboard
    It depends on the make and model of laptop. Find a service manual online before you begin. Some laptops are easy - intuitive to take disassemble. Others are a real pain without a guide.
  • edited October 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    It depends on the make and model of laptop. Find a service manual online before you begin. Some laptops are easy - intuitive to take disassemble. Others are a real pain without a guide.

QFT!

Some are really easy to get to the hsf, like my previous laptop, which was a Compal model. But the Inspiron 8000 I had before it was a chore, but at least Dell does have instructions on their site on how to get to the hsf.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Really, unless you are experienced with disassembling different types of laptops, I'd look at laptop's corresponding guide first. Some I've disassembled with ease, in just a few minutes. A couple others I worked on for an hour before giving up and searching for the service manual. To be honest, with the difficult laptop, I probably would have damaged a component if I hadn't be referencing a manual's illustrations. I'm sure there are those people here that have worked enough different laptop designs that they are fluent in laptop disassembly. I'm not one of that group.
    edited October 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Really, unless you are experienced with disassembling different types of laptops, I'd look at laptop's corresponding guide first. Some I've disassembled with ease, in just a few minutes. A couple others I worked on for an hour before giving up and searching for the service manual. To be honest, with the difficult laptop, I probably would have damaged a component if I hadn't be referencing a manual's illustrations. I'm sure there are those people here that have worked enough different laptop designs that they are fluent in laptop disassembly. I'm not one of that group.

Well, I did it without a guide, and just started popping screws off. I never got down to the fan, so I just closed it back up, but when I turned it on, it was quieter than ever before. I thought the fan might be malfunctioning for some reason, so I did some proc-intensive work and it kicked in... It seems to be working fine now. I'm going to try to look for a guide to opening it anyway so I can clean the rest of it, but if anyone else happens to find it first, please post a link.

Thanks..
    edited October 2007
    V|P wrote:
    I'm going to try to look for a guide to opening it anyway so I can clean the rest of it, but if anyone else happens to find it first, please post a link.

Thanks..

I thought this was pretty funny...
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47607
  • edited October 2007
    What about your laptop temperature , there maybe something wrong with your pus or the cooling system.