My windows xp is getting a fatal error

edited October 2007 in Hardware
The fatal error is c000021a and I can't start in any of the safe modes or anything. I don't want to reinstall xp can someone help me get around this

Comments

• edited October 2007
    it says the logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000142 (0xc0000000 0xc0000000).
  • edited October 2007
    can anyone help me with this???
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited October 2007
    Dude, Rome wasn't built in a day. Chill.

I googled it, it looks like you have a conflicting version of two very important files. user32 and gdi32 dll's. It requires a repair or reinstallation of the operating system. Directly from the Microsoft Knowledge base.
  • edited October 2007
    can I replace those dll in my system 32 folder using the recovery console
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    You could try just pulling the files directly off of the Windows CD. It probably won't work, but you could try it.
    edited October 2007
    Listen to leonardo, he's got better experience. If I get a bluescreen in windows, It's usually hardware related so I really have no advice for you on the subject other than what the knowledge base said.
  • edited October 2007
    I downloaded the files off a .dll website I have used before and got the two files. Just wondering if I could replace them using ubuntu or window recovery
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Oh, that's right, you have the files but you can't get into your current Windows installation? Ubuntu or Recovery? Sorry, I don't know.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    How about taking the HD out, putting it into another comp, replacing the files, and put it back in? Is that possible?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    Jokke wrote:
    How about taking the HD out, putting it into another comp, replacing the files, and put it back in? Is that possible?

That would work as far as replacing the files goes. Whether or not just replacing those two files will fix the problem is the bigger question.
  • edited October 2007
    I could just as easily replace the files booting in ubuntu which is a linux boot disk and mount the hdd's to replace the files
  • edited October 2007
    I replaced the those two files using windows recovery and now I am getting a different error code c0000139 and all f8 options are still not working
    edited October 2007
    Try formatting the disk and giving it a fresh install. If that doesn't work you just might have a drive that's outputting bad sectors or something.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited October 2007
    Just repair the installation. If that fails, then either a dual install of xp (to gather what you need) is required or a wipe/reinstall.
  • edited October 2007
    Boot to xp install disk, the second time you see a repair option, take it. That will reinstall windows files but leave everything else alone.