Thanks OCZ, I love you too.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited October 2007 in Hardware
Since I can't find anywhere that sells my exact stick anymore since OCZ dropped normal gold for the Gold GX, I'm SOL now and I have to buy a new Expletive Deleted kit. Thanks guys, really like that.

That aside, I don't want to waste this stick. That's what pisses me off the most. If I get a new kit, I lose this one. I need the "Best move" advice from you guys. I hate ebay, and I'm the only person I know this up to date, so I can't give it to anyone. I keep seeing 5-5-5-12, and poor me, 5-5-5-15. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    5-5-5-12 OCZ, same frequency, should run just fine with OCZ 5-5-5-15, even in dual channel mode. It is not necessary to have an exact match for dual channel. Sure, very close is needed, but not exact. The exception would be if you have a finicky motherboard.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Except your stuff is actually not all <i>that</i> up to date. It is for an Athlon 64 platform, but it is showing its age (Technologically).
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited October 2007
    Well excuse the hell out of me for not jumping on the core2 wagon. My computer's just fine for what I use it for. When I need more, I will get more. Right now though squire, I'm looking for fun. Not horsepower. Just because I can get a core2 quad, or whatever, doesn't mean I should. My x2 4600 is running just fine, and my crappy old damaged and devastated X1900 is working just fine for what I do.

Thanks leonardo. Really appreciate your advice.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I really do not understand what you mean here Your Amish Daddy?

What you have is 5-5-5-15 and what we sell now is 5-5-5-12? That makes no difference at all, Tras has like 0.25 to 0.75% affect on anything.

Most ram you can run anywhere from 6 to 18 for Tras, anytime you want.

What is the exact part number of what you have?
    edited October 2007
    It's OCZ2G8001G, and I've still got the package too if you want a picture of that.
    edited October 2007
    Ok...so that has the GX Heatspreader then, right? If it had the solid heatspreader the part number would be OCZ28001024ELGE.

We still make the OCZ2G8001G, just get another stick of it, that is why I say I don't understand.
    edited October 2007
    Well, if there won't be a problem I will. My hateful thoughts retracted.
    edited October 2007
    I certainly can't make a statement like "I am 100% positive you will have 0 problems", but the 2 sticks of ram will have and run at the same spec's, so you should be good to go. :)
    edited October 2007
    Well they're not the same specs off the shelf, and I don't like running blind risks. If I match a 5-5-5-15 to a 5-5-5-12, they will work, right? I remember DDR would use the slowest speed as the entire set, so that'll still happen with DDR2 right?
    edited October 2007
    As I said in my previous post. Saying that 12 or 15 for Tras constitutes a different spec for the memory is like saying mixing 1% and 2% milk is going to be bad.

Tras can be run anywhere from 8 to 18 on most machines and ram modules. When you get the second stick, run at 12 or at 15, its not going to make a bit of difference to your system. Right now you could set Tras at 15 instead of 12 and notice nothing.
    The first 3 timings are the only ones that are important.

When I said that I can't say you won't have problems. I didn't mean due to compatibility, I meant that maybe you get a stick damaged in shipment or something like that.
    edited October 2007
    Alright. Well I've always tried to match my modules 1:1 at any time, which is why I'm not buying the memory that was recommended to me. Guess I'll pick up a stick or two monday. Thanks fella.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    YAD,

When did you buy your ram, and did you buy a kit or did you just buy a single stick?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2007
    Alright. Well I've always tried to match my modules 1:1 at any time, which is why I'm not buying the memory that was recommended to me. Guess I'll pick up a stick or two monday. Thanks fella.

It doesn't matter. You can use anything and it will work. I've used 2x256MB and 1x512MB sticks of all different manufactures and timings OCd in the same computer before and had no problems at all. Don't badmouth a manufacture unless you know what you are talking about.
    edited October 2007
    I think the original reasons for brands to sell "matched set" and "dual channel kit" memory packages was/is:

1) to sell more RAM
    2) first generation dual channel motherboards probably weren't as RAM-stable as today's boards

I'm running 4X512MB DDR2-667 slightly overclocked, dual channel in my system No. 4. It's two different brands of RAM. No problem at all. Don't remember what the timings differences between the brands is.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Side note... mmonnin, TheLostSwede, RyderOCZ all work in the memory business. THAT is why this site is so cool. A great mix of people with expertise in so many areas. :thumbsup:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    The fact that things might work or not isn't really the issue. The issue is if you can get any support or help from any manufacturer if something goes wrong.
    Now, we all know memory chips won't be produced forever and the best protection against any issues that may come, is simply to buy a dual channel kit. You have lifetime warranty, and OCZ more than likely will replace a kit even if it is in perfect working condition, because a customers board is quirky about ram. This happens 10 times every day and we will always do this as a service. The other point that you miss Leo, is that you are sure that the sticks are from the same batch and this is especially important when you ramp up the memory speed. Memory chips is binned just like processors. Some manufacturing dates isn't clocking very good, while the next week might be awesome.
    edited October 2007
    Yes, good points. But for the casual user who won't be overclocking the memory, I really don't think it all makes much, if any difference.

If I'm going to run dual channel memory at stock clock, I really don't care what brands are inside the computer to a point. That point being, if price and rated speed/timings are the same, sure, I'll go for the name brand with the reputation. If I plan to overclock the RAM, then oh my yes, I'll look for a good name brand as well as a "matched set" dual channel package.
    edited October 2007
    I bought two of them, but I had to send one back to newegg because the whole stick went bad, and newegg credited me for it, since they just wouldn't wait two days and send me another...I since haven't had time to buy any memory. I'll probably do that tuesday I guess.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    FWIW.
    edited October 2007
    If you don't mind mail in rebates, that's an outstanding price.
    edited October 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Those rebates are expired. But boy, what an excellent price that was!
    :scratch::scratch:
    If you are speaking of what Black Hawk linked, they both say they expire the 10th of October, which is this coming Wednesday.
    edited October 2007
    Interesting. For the fun of it I went part way through the checkout process. Their shipping and handling was THREE times as high as Newegg's for Alaska.
    edited October 2007
    Maybe a new rebate but both are good until the 19th of Oct for a total of $40.50 +$5SH.
  • edited October 2007
    Hell, that's a good price.

I just bought a kit of DDR2 800 Ballistix from the Egg last week and after rebate it was around $61. But I know the Ballistix are using D9 GMH chips.
    edited October 2007
    These arent.
  • edited October 2007
    Yep, that's why I didn't mind paying more for the Ballistix
    edited October 2007
    I'll just stick to what I know works. I'm not an overclocker.
    edited October 2007
    edited October 2007
    Ok....now this post doesn't need to turn into a hot deals thread, especially not OCZ hot deals ;)

Hopefully I helped the OP get what he needs, but I am sure he will let me know if not.

Thanks
    edited October 2007
    Cant help it, you work for the enemy lol. :D Well kinda....OCZ buys our parts so I can't be too critical.