Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme in a Lanboy II?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Hardware
Anyone try it? I've got my second Q6600 up and running, but it's running too hot for me (71-79°c).

Does anyone know if the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme will fit that case? It doesn't look like there will be quite enough clearance.

I have a regular ultra 120 running in my nine hundred on my other q6600, but was hoping to avoid taking the whole thing apart so I can try to test fit it.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    My Thermaltake Big Typhoon did not fit.
  • edited October 2007
    If Big Typhoon won't fit, then I would say that there is very little chance of the U-120 fitting.

You might be able to go with a TR Ultima 90 heatsink in that case though. I have no hands on experience with it but it did very well in Anandtech's testing of it. Here is a link to the Anandtech review of the Ultima 90.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    hmm, the Ultima 90 is just a bit less than 1 inch smaller than the U120.

I think my best course of action at this point is to suck it up and take both rigs apart to see if it will fit.

Thanks for the idea Mudd.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Whoa now! I have two Antec Lanboy cases, each with a Thermaltake Big Typhoon mounted inside with plenty of clearance between the heatsink fans and the side window.

Does the Lanboy II have less depth and the Super Lanboy?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Whoa now! I have two Antec Lanboy cases, each with a Thermaltake Big Typhoon mounted inside. I've also got an Antec 900 with a BT mounted inside. There is plenty of clearance between the heatsinks' fans and the case sides for the Lanboys and the 900.

Lanboy II must be a shallower case than the Super Lanboy. But that Antec 900 - I'm looking down at one right now and there is over two inches clearance between the top of the HS fan and the case side's plexiglass.

it is Leo, it hits the powersupply.
    fits just fine in an antec 900
    edited October 2007
    (Oh, you copied my text while I was editing it.)

OK, I see what you're saying. Yeah, some of those high wattage PSUs are quite large. I can understand the problem now. My Lanboys have an Antec 430 and a Nextherm 460, both which are only medium in size.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    It can't be because of the size of the psu the heatsink hits it right? It must be cause of that the case is less tall, at least the psu doesn't sit as high as on the original Lanboy. Bigger PSU means it is longer, not wider or thicker. If they would start producing psu's that was wider and thicker, we would have enormous case issues.

Edit, is the name of the case Antec Lanboy and Antec Super Lanboy?
    edited October 2007
    I ended up picking up the coolermaster extreme power 550 and it's the same physical size as the ocz 700w that's in my other rig, so the PSU won't be any concern, it's just the clearance between the board to the door.
    edited November 2007
    Ok, just finished installing the Ultra 120 Extreme, it does fit. There's almost an inch between the top of the heat pipes and door.

I was debating on going to the Ultima 90, but decided if I needed to I'd dremel a hole in the door where the heat pipes come out so I went big.

Dropped the cpu temp almost 30°c, before the cores were running between 75-80°c and now they're between 46 and 51°c. This is just stock, and the AS5 hasn't set yet, so I'm waiting till the AS5 sets up and then start working on an OC.
    edited November 2007
    It fits! It fits? Ah, too bad. I was hoping it wouldn't so that I could buy it from you. :rolleyes:

j/k The Lanboys are deceptively large inside. Their depth is pretty good. :D
    edited November 2007
    I did some measurements before I dropped the coin on a heatsink and thought it would have stuck out a half inch, but that was based on the measurements I found online, so I don't know if they were out or my measuring skills were lacking, but I'm enjoying the 30° temperature drop which will pave the way for a decent OC.
    edited November 2007
    So you're saying you don't want to sell? :)
    edited November 2007
    I'll sell you the 2 stock Q6600 heat sinks I have in a thermalright box if you want :D
    edited November 2007
    Oh wow! Thanks. That way I can have a whole collection. Already got two of them and a couple for Pentium D's too. BTW, the Pentium D OEM heatsink is nearly identical. You actually can overlcock with those things, both with the Q6600 and the Presler dual cores...just not very far.
    edited November 2007
    Was something just bad with mine before I swapped out the oem heatsink? I wouldn't dream of running a cpu for any period of time at more than 80c.