RAM deal:

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys, I saw a RAM deal that ends Sunday and was wondering if the RAM it was offering was any good, as I'm looking to go to 4 gigs.

It's the OCZ "Vista Upgrade" 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 800 SDRAM (PC2 6400) Dual Channel, part number OCZ2VU8002GK. Some specs:

* 800MHz DDR2
* CL 5-5-5-15
* 2GB (2x1024) dual channel optimized kit
* Unbuffered
* Copper Mirrored XTC Heatspreader*
* Lifetime Warranty
* 2.1Volts
* 240 Pin DIMM

Just want to know if I'll be happy with 4 gigs of this, or if I should be looking at other brands/timings/speeds. I know they're just calling it a "Vista Upgrade" for marketing BS, so don't worry about that, I'd just rather not waste my money on something that isn't good hardware.

Thanks for your inputs on short notice.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Since you didn't post your system specs, I've got to ask:

What motherboard? What operating system? What CPU? Is your motherboard capable of 2.1volts? But actually, the "2.1" just means OCZ still warrants the RAM for operation up to 2.1 volts. 5-5-5-15 is nothing special performance-wise, but that's still good quality RAM you're looking at. If you are using WinXP (not 64-bit) it can use only a maximum of 3GB RAM. But then, you'll get more boost from 3 gigs than from 2!

Unless you are very sensitive to slight performance changes, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between 4-4-4 and 5-5-5. Some hard core gamers say it makes a noticeable difference. If that OCZ is at 4Gb is a better price than other big name brands of the same speed and timings rating, sure, why not.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Whoop, sorry, forgot the necessaries.

AMD X2 6000+ on an Asus Crosshair mobo, Nvidia 7950GTKO, lots of hard drive space
    Vista x64
    Some gaming, lots of F@H, graphics/video work, and general office/browsing/chat requirements.

The Crosshair is a pretty advanced mobo, so while I haven't checked the specs juuust yet, I'm sure I've seen voltage fields in bios, so I'm fairly confident it'll hit 2.1v if I tell it to. Thanks again, and super thanks for the quick reply.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Here's a better deal... $44.99 after MIR Deals only good till 10/10 Weds. http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4308301&cmp=AFC-CJ_CBIT
    OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-15 ATI CrossFire Certified Dual Channel Kit Retail OCZ2P800R22GK
    edited October 2007
    Just found this deal, too: Ballistix 2 GB memory dual-channel for $55;

Speed: PC2-6400 800Mhz
    Latency: 4-4-4-12
    Signal Processing: UNBUFFERED
    Error Checking: NON-ECC
    Voltage: 2.2V
    Configuration: 128MB x 64
    Warranty: Lifetime Limited
    Manufacturer Part Number: BL2KIT12864AL804

But for the price, it looks like Hawk's deal is better. What do you guys think?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    You know you can't use 4GB without using 64Bit Windows, which is even slower and buggier than 32bit Vista, right?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    AMD X2 6000+ on an Asus Crosshair mobo, Nvidia 7950GTKO, lots of hard drive space Vista x64
    Looks like he's good to go, Thrax.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Looks like it. Enjoy the bumpy ride. :)
    edited October 2007
    I've been running x64 Vista for the last 4 months, haven't had a problem with it aside from having to do lots of administrator work for Folding.