FYI. Q6600 folding performance, 2.4GHz vs 3.0GHz

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Folding@Home
Just an FYI, I've got 2 Q6600's at home, one is in my main rig overclocked running @ 3.0GHz and the other is at stock speeds (waiting for a better cooler).

Both running the SMP client, one is the P35 chipset, one the P965, both have OCZ DDR2 800, one has 4GB of revision 2, the other has 2GB of revision 1, both running XP Pro.

Times for the OC'd one on a 2653.

Avg. Time / Frame : 9mn 48s - 2586.12 ppd

Times at stock speed on a 2653.

Avg. Time / Frame : 11mn 30s - 2203.83 ppd

These are all running a single instance of the F@H SMP client. I am planning on doing the MS VM mod and running 2 instances of the SMP client in hopes of hitting 6000 PPD between the 2 machines.

Seems to be about 300 points gained by the 600MHz OC.

Just an FYI in case anyone was debating on weather to OC a Q6600.

Comments

• SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited October 2007
    Pretty sweet I have 2 running at stock and they are both pulling 2022 PPD on 2653. They are mounted on Asrock 4 core dual vsta boards , one has 2 GB OCZ special ops the other 2 GB Geil. I pulled the trigger so quickly on the 2nd quad it has left me with an E6420 and no case or MOBO:(
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited October 2007
    I always have room in a spare Mobo for a Duo :wink: I wish I had the luxury of running more than one PC 24/7 :bigggrin:
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2007
    If anyone needs assistance setting up the VMs, let me know! :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Just an FYI in case anyone was debating on weather to OC a Q6600.
    For me there is never any debate over overclocking any CPU. IT GET'S overclocked. (except for laptops and company machines)

Spike, quick, point me to threads I need to read prior to setting Folding on an OC'ed quad. This weekend I should be converting number (in signature) to a Q6600-G0/Abit IP35E. I intend to run two instances of F@H on the machine.

DanG - good work! I hope to be cranking out 2.6GHz. We'll just have to see.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited October 2007
    I would go for Ultranexus's offer of advice on how to set up the Linux VMs on them Leo, serious pointage to be had from that set up :eek: