\windows\system32\config\system PLS HELP!

edited October 2007 in Hardware
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first sreen to start repair."

I receive the above message every time I start up, and the system does not seem to recognise the recovery CD-ROM as no matter what key or sequence of keys I press, this message just keeps re-loading itself.

I'm completely stupid when it comes to computers and have no idea what to do, so if anyone knows what to do in this situation I'd be so grateful if they could explain it step-by-step! (Fortunately I have access to the internet elsewhere to post this thread, otherwise I'd be truly focaccia-ed!)

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I believe that your recovery CD may not be recognized because your computer is set to boot from the internal hard drive first. There is a setting in the system called BIOS (this is what loads first when you power it on) that determines which device to boot from first. This would need to be changed to boot first from your CD-ROM and secondly from your internal hard drive.

First off, what model of computer do you have? This will help determine where in your BIOS the boot order option is.

After we get your PC to recognize the Windows CD, this excellent guide from Thrax should be the solution to the problem:
    http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp

Welcome to Icrontic! I am confident we can help you through this.
  • edited October 2007
    Wow thank you so much, its a TOSHIBA SM30-304 if that helps?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Now, be aware that my article Ghoosdum linked does <i>not always fix the issue</i>. There are multiple causes to the symptom you've described. We can help you either way, but that guide only addresses one of severally equally common issues that produce the problem you're having. Let's hope it works, because the other solutions are a lot more drastic.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Unfortunately I can't find a manual online for your model laptop. However, when you boot it up, the first message should say something like "Press DEL to enter Setup" or it could be one of the F# keys as well. When it's booting, press that key. There will be a menu in text which you'll navigate with the arrow keys.

If the laptop says "Phoenix BIOS" at the top of the screen then there will likely be a tab-like option that says "BOOT" - press the right arrow to get to this and then the down arrow until you're in the options. The options should be the boot order of devices. You'll want to select the CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM) device and probably press the plus-sign until it is above the Hard Drive option. The keys I've quoted may not be 100% accurate, but there should be navigation instructions on the screen.

After you've done this, make sure your Windows XP disc is in the drive and reboot the computer. It should boot from the CD and allow you to follow Thrax's guide.

Hopefully your PC came with a Windows CD, because the "system restore" or "refactory" discs that come with many PCs completely wipe your hard drive contents and make your PC start from scratch again. This is probably something you don't want to do.