Budget Quad System

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited October 2007 in Folding@Home
So I am looking around for quality budget parts to slap my Q66 into. I haven't kept up with all hardware like I used to, so tips are appreciated.

Starting with of course the Q6600.
Motherboard: Abit IP35-E Via Leo's Suggestion
RAM: OCZ Plat Rev 2 DDR2 OCZ2P800R22GK
Video: Cheap PCI-E vid card for $30
PSU: Corsair 450W or SeaSonic Energy Plus-SS 550W PSU
Cooling: Thermalright Ultra 120-A and Scythe SFF21F

I have a HDD and case, I just need the core system parts. The RAM doesnt have to be anything special besides Micron D9's (I work at Micron so nothing else will do) and the motherboard will just have to be able to run async if need be. The PSUs are fairly cheap with good efficiency.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    How big is your case (specifically width)? The U120 HSF is huge...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    The SMx Committee has been working on a similar idea. Sledgehammer has a nice system configured and very inexpensive.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited October 2007
    Is it for a dedicated folding machine or your main rig?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2007
    Hmm I will have to check on the width. I have the 120 eXtremem so I know how big they are. Its a dedicated machine so the 2gb will mainly be for setting up VMware.

What does Sledge have as a setup? What I have listed is about $300 shipped.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    OCZ Gold 512MB - $21.99
    Rosewill 450Wat PSU - $39.99
    Intel 945GC - 54.99
    Intel Q6600 2.4GHz - $277.99

Your ram selection is by far the best price I have ever seen for 2GB of ram If I was you I would buy that up now :)

If your planning to OC your system the mobo you picked is better but is $20 more. Since you have a HD and Case you pretty much set in that aspect.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Mmonnin, just be advised, my full opinion of the IP35-E is not ready yet. I've only made it through the first stage of tweaking/overclocking. Were it me and I had no intention of overclocking, I'd probably head straight to the MSI aisle.
    edited October 2007
    Here is my suggestion if you don´t mind.

Q6600 G0 (if possible)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2 (it has efficient power circuitry, OCs about to about 400FSB and has integrated video)
    RAM: same as you pointed
    Video: none, you save $30
    PSU: SeaSonic Energy Plus-SS 380W PSU (Still a very high efficient PSU, but sufficient powered for your setup. 550 is way overkill)
    Cooling: Thermalright Ultra 120-A and Scythe SFF21F (with this cooler and a G0 you should be able to OC to 3.6Ghz (400x9) effortlesly).

If you want to save a couple of bucks more, there is an even cheaper motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G31MX-S2
    It does 1333Mhz FSB and supports quad... the ONLY difference is the efficient circuitry and that this one does NOT support the upcomming Penryn QUAD.

As a side note, I use the GA-G33M-S2 on both my dedicated Quads.
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    If it is of interest, I have monitored (with a kill-a-watt device) two pretty basic q6600 based machines with modest OCs in the 3.2-3.4GHz range, and both pulls slightly less than 200W (from the 230VAC outlet) with full FAH SMP load. Specs are: P35 and 965 chipsets, single HDDs, 2x1GB RAM (with modest OC), ATI Radeon X550 and X300 and DVD RWs. I'm not saying a 200Watt PSU is sufficient, but I agree, 550Watt is overkill (depending on brand and build quality of course).
    edited October 2007
    lsevald wrote:
    If it is of interest, I have monitored (with a kill-a-watt device) two pretty basic q6600 based machines with modest OCs in the 3.2-3.4GHz, and both pulls slightly less than 200W (from the 230VAC outlet) with full FAH SMP load. Specs are: P35 and 965 chipsets, single HDDs, 2x1GB RAM (with modest OC), ATI Radeon X550 and X300 and DVD RWs.

Thats consistent with what I reported before. :)

Thats why any PSU over 400w is overkill in my opinion...
    edited October 2007
    Thats why any PSU over 400w is overkill in my opinion...
    Unless you throw in the horrendous (power draw) high end video cards. Video cards have done more for PSU manufacturers' profits than any other factor.
    edited October 2007
    Correct, but again, for a dedicated folder, you wouldnt throw in a high end video card.
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I have seen a two PSUs go up in flames, and it wasn't pretty, so go for a reputable brand and personally I would aim for 50% of rated PSU capacity for 24/7 (200W load equals minimum 400W good quality PSU). Also leaving a bit of room for a more powerful GPU down the road could make the investment last longer (resale value, or maybe a new GPU client comes out :) ). Personally I went for a Corsair VX450 for a q6600 + G80 based HTPC. A bit expensive but I also need a silent PSU. It's a build in progress, so how it works out remains to be seen.
    edited October 2007
    Correct, but again, for a dedicated folder, you wouldnt throw in a high end video card.
    No argument from me.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Yeah the mobo I spec'd has on board video but isn't a OC'er :(
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2007
    The system will be running 2 VMware instances....I havent checked on the latest progress with that but 512 will not do...heck it wont do with 2 instances of SMP. Even so I've seen 2gb Ballistix sets for around $55. 512 667Mhz chips are going for less than $1.30 nowadays and nearly less than $1 on the spot market.

I asked RyderOCZ and the RAM doesnt have Micron chips in it so I am gonna find something else.

Ive never owned a Roswill PSU, nor will I probably ever. I'll spend a little bit more now on the PSU so I can use it down the road. I have plenty of PSUs on me but only 1 has 24 or 20+4 pins. I know 550W is overkill but as a dedicated folder the 88% efficiency will be NICE. :) I actually used to run an A64 system on a 330W Antec TruePower PSU (Rails spot on), the very first PSU I ever bought back when 1800+ AXPs were the top bargain CPUs of the day. Antec still works too.

I have the Q66 already, G0 stepping, so I am good there.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    .... I know 550W is overkill but as a dedicated folder the 88% efficiency will be NICE. :) I actually used to run an A64 system on a 330W Antec TruePower PSU (Rails spot on), the very first PSU I ever bought back when 1800+ AXPs were the top bargain CPUs of the day. Antec still works too ....

I have to agree with you- for the little extra money- and, AFAIC, the PSU has to have the rails- the overall rating does not indicate that.