Halloween 2007 - Icrontic Team Fortress 2 "Blu Team" costumes

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Community
After some joking around and some beers, and a lot of TF2, I decided to move forward on this whole idea of TF2 "blu team" costumes for Halloween.

I've settled on the engineer, my son Perry is going to be a soldier, and my son Kyle is going scout. I talked to Jeff about being a Sniper. Hopefully we can get a Keebler demoman, a Fatcat pyro, a CB Droege medic, and a Thrax spy.

ENGINEER:

hardhat.gifglasses.gif

Still need: Overalls, a spanner, some yellow ethernet cable (although i think I have some yellow), boots, blue work shirt, and kneepads.

SCOUT:

muffs.gif

Obviously I'll have to cut one of the ears off, make a boom mic and an little antenna for it.

FF_IS34776.JPG
Had to buy these new - they're football cleats, but they'll work. They were only $20, so not too bad.

We actually have a kid sized silver baseball bat. I might paint the "blu" logo on it, or ask his mom to do it.

Still need a black baseball cap, and I'm going to ask his grandma to modify some sweatpants to complete the kit.

SOLDIER:

We've got my dad's old vietnam helmet, which is exactly the right helmet, and it fits Perry perfectly - in that it falls slightly down over his eyes.

We've got a Nerf air bazooka which looks mostly like the rocket launcher from the game, of course it needs to be completely repainted and the conical back end needs to be added.

Still need a jacket, bandolier with grenades, and boots. I'm taking him to Army Navy Surplus this week. I tried ebay, couldn't find anything.

There will be lots of pics!

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    SWEET!!!! Sounds like a "blast" ;D
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Hahahaha,
    I sooo wanna be there!!!!
    I can see someone running around as a scout and yelling "Lets Get It On!!".
    "Boink!"
    Or the soldier coming to attention, saluting and saying "AaaYuuppp".
    A bunch of them running around calling "Medic!!--Fire!-Fire!-Fire!-Medic!!".
    Hehehe, Ahhh Luuuv it!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I'm headed to H&M this weekend to see if they have any blue pinstripe suits on the cheap, then I'm headed to Joe's Army Navy to see if I can get a gortex head thing. Then hopefully they'll have a surplus butterfly knife.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2007
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    The goggles were my "score!" find so far. Blue welding goggles! $10! How perfect is that?!

I got the hard hat, ear muffs, and goggles on ebay. So far I'm up to $50, including the new shoes. That's for three costumes (so far) so that's not too bad. Thrax, let's go to Joe's together, since I need to find stuff for Soldier there. Their hours are a bit screwy- they close at 7 pm on weekdays. :-/
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Yea,
    But they're the Red Team opponents!
    Lets Get Em!!!!
    edited October 2007
    lol i was a spy dressed as a scout the other day and I sapped a sentry, and the scout said "There! I broke your stupid crap, IDIOT!"

I loll'ed.. I never heard that one before.

Anyways, I like the chaingun. That's great. We'll have to do blu vs red :p
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I think I'm got most of the Medic figured out.

His outfit is easy. I'll tuck some dark slacks into black boots, and put on a white shirt and light-blue tie (all of which I already have).

I've got a lab-coat that my colleagues gave me as a joke when they ordered too many for the nursing instructors, and couldn't return them (the dean dared me to wear it to class for a week, and I did. My prize was the coat). Unfortunately, it's a women's lab-coat (it buttons from the wrong side) and it's couple sizes too big, but I think it's okay if the coat looks a little strange, and if it looks too bad, I could have Betsy modify it a little for me (if I ask nicely). I can paint the blue medic-cross on the shoulder easily.

The back-pack shouldn't be too tough. I could find the right size cardboard box, and use some poster-board, and a 2-liter bottle to make the doo-hickys. then paint the whole thing and put some shoulder straps on it.

The weapon will be the tough part: The medi-gun looks like the business end of a fire-hose, and I don't know where I would find one of those. I might be able to find a nerf gun that looks like the syringe-gun, and give it a paint-job, but I don't think that would look very good. The medic uses a 'field bone-saw' style that has been obsolete for decades (proly because they don't need to do amputations in the field very often anymore), and the only ones I could find for sale were really expensive antiques.

Out of the three weapons, the bone-saw would be easiest to make a mock-up out of card-board or a thin piece of wood. Some silver and black paint could make it look okay at a distance.

I've also seen the medic lugging a novelty-sized syringe in some of the pictures, like the promotional group shot. I could easily (and cheaply) pick up a prop syringe, but that would be a last resort, since it feels kind-of like skipping out on part of the costume.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I think that was early preview material. My guess is that the medic was originally supposed to carry a gargantuan syringe to heal his comrades, rather than the medigun.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    The goggles were my "score!" find so far. Blue welding goggles! $10! How perfect is that?!

I got the hard hat, ear muffs, and goggles on ebay. So far I'm up to $50, including the new shoes. That's for three costumes (so far) so that's not too bad. Thrax, let's go to Joe's together, since I need to find stuff for Soldier there. Their hours are a bit screwy- they close at 7 pm on weekdays. :-/

Cripes, I'm going to have do 65 on woodward to get there on time after work. What day do you want to meet me there?
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    This stuff would work pretty well for connecting to your "pack", then all you need is something to look like the nozzle. You should be able to find some at junk stores or something so you don't have to buy it.

supervacuflex.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Cripes, I'm going to have do 65 on woodward to get there on time after work. What day do you want to meet me there?

I'm thinking Saturday looks like the best bet. :-/ There's no way I'll be able to make it out there on any day of the week before closing.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Who's going to be the hugwa?
    edited October 2007
    Nobody volunteered yet :p
    edited October 2007
    CB make sure you get some big rubber gloves too!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    [me]* Keebler quietly purchases an umpire's vest on E-Bay[/me]
    edited October 2007
    pics
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    pics
    $25 w/shipping
    edited October 2007
    lol

ur gonna be a black, scottish cyclops.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    i'm busy piecing together a flame thrower....yes...one that actually works...I just hope the cops don't mind ;)

that is all for now
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    A++ for the idea. Very funny.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    This is going to be hilarious ;D

Can't wait for the pics! :D
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Shorty wrote:
    This is going to be hilarious ;D

Can't wait for the pics! :D

Ditto for the rest of us!!!!!!::bigggrin:
    edited October 2007
    Jeff ordered a sniper hat:

sniperhat.jpg
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Jeff ordered a sniper hat:

sniperhat.jpg

Yep found the hat and I'm working on the gun. I'm making the scope myself, it's going to be sweet, complete with laser.
    edited October 2007
    You are going to get shot by an overzealous, Imma-gonna-be-a-heero Warren cop, carrying around a look alike sniper rifle with a working laser sight.

Just sayin'.
    edited October 2007
    Not if he's a good sniper!:bigggrin:
    edited October 2007
    You are going to get shot by an overzealous, Imma-gonna-be-a-heero Warren cop, carrying around a look alike sniper rifle with a working laser sight.

Just sayin'.

haha....yea and i'll have a fully functional flame thrower...your point? :beer:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Well, I guess we better get the [{IC}TF2 bail bond fund] started right now then.
    That way it will be fully funded when needed!
    This is hilarious! We definitely need pics of final outfits...and keep the parts pics coming too...
    edited October 2007
    Um, what night is this going down. I assumed Halloween night...but