Computer Crashes During File Transfers

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Hardware
Not sure if the title describes the problem appropriately, but it's the best I can muster. I am currently slowly working up a CPU overclock on System No. 1, signature below. Experimenting yesterday I had the clock up to about 3200MHz (2400 is default) with everything seemingly stable at full load. Temperatures were high - 65C for the hottest core, but did not seem to inhibiting anything. During this time the DRAM was not overclocked and was set in the middle of its min-max voltage range. I was running two instances of Folding@Home Win SMP, had a couple Firefox browser windows open, email (Outlook) going, and Windows Explorer opened. In the background were running Core Temp, AVG, SpeedFan, and CPU Z.

The stability ended when I attempted to copy a 120MB file (Open Office 2.3 installation .exe) from the computer to another computer on the home network - from my wireless to the router to an ethernet connected computer. The file transferred about 50% and then the screen froze. It could be the operation continued even the screen froze - no action, mouse curser would not respond. Ctrl-alt-Del would not bring the Task Manager up. All the computer fans were running, motherboard LED was lighted, and the hard drives were still apparently spinning. About 20 seconds later the monitor screen went black, but fans, LED, and HDDs seemed still be in normal operation. The computer would not respond to any input, except a hard shutdown. The four-second shutoff time lapse with the off button worked just as it was supposed to.

I rebooted and tried the file transfer again, this time with F@H off and hardware monitors and AVG off as well. Core temperatures were well within accepted limits by any standard and all voltages were at good levels. The same freeze followed by a black screen happened again.

I then rebooted at default CPU speed and the file transfer worked without a hitch.

What might be the problem? I think I determined that it was not heat induced, nor due to overstressing of the PSU: problem occurred even when the computer was close to an idle state with most background stuff turned off, with the CPU and north bridge relatively cool. RAM was never stressed at all during these incidents.

What are some troubleshooting steps I could take? Is it possible the old problems of PCI slot allocation is coming into play? I remember with Abit boards in 99 and 2000 we sometimes had to move PCI cards around to avoid hardware conflicts. Could this still be the case? Presently in this system the expansion cards are as followed: PCI-e video card (Quadro FX 3400 - only moderate power draw), Linksys wireless G card, Rosewill 2-port IDE adaptor w/one PATA hard drive attached. A two port USB bracket is in one of the slots, but the case slot only, as it's connected to a motherboard header.

Could the IDE adapter be causing problems? Should I move the CD/DVD drive to the adapter and put the hard drive on the single IDE motherboard slot?

Should I try all the above?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Did you make sure to set your PCI bus frequency manually? If you left it on auto, it scales with your FSB and that may be screwing things up. Set it manually to 100MHz and try overclocked.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    MJancaitis wrote:
    Set [PCI bus freq]manually to 100MHz
    I'm pretty sure it was locked at 100, but I'll double check. thanks
  • edited October 2007
    Have you tried running 2 instances of Orthos and running small fft's to test the ram? Or tried running memtest86? I'm finding that with my G0 Q6600 that it seems to load my old P5W DH board a lot more than my previous E6600 and I had to back the ram timings back a bit for stability. I haven't had any hard locking problems but was having spontaneous reboots happening. Since I backed the ram timings back a bit I haven't had any spontaneous reboots.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    PCI bus to 33, PCI Express to 96 or 101.
    edited October 2007
    At least at the present clock, the only instability I've had has been when transferring large over the home network: wireless to router to Ethernet. My test was a 120MB file. I could transfer it across the network up to three times successfully, then on the fourth try the screen would freeze and go black a few seconds later. Approximately 45 seconds after the freeze, the computer would restart. Sometimes the file transfer would complete while the screen and mouse were frozen.

PCI-e bus was locked at 100 unless I experimented.
    I cannot find a PCI bus field anywhere in the BIOS. Either I'm blind or it's not there. If it's not hardware locked and there's no way to manually adjust it, that's truly not good. I've always kept my Asus 775 boards' PCI buses locked at 33.

I'm thinking the file transfer-associated freezes/crashes are due to a faulty wireless G card. And here are the troubleshooting steps I took, none of which prevented the file transfer from crashing:
    *- DDR kept at stock or lower freqs at SPD during all of this
    - boosted PCI-e
    - lowered PCI-e
    boosted and lowered all mobo voltage settings available: northbridge, south bridge, vCore, vCPU VTT, PCI-e, and CPU GTLRef.
    - identical wireless card in another - compared settings and they were the same; file transfer test on other machine worked perfectly
    - moved wireless to different PCI slot
    - tested file transfer from the second hard drive in the computer to the same destination computers
    - removed the PCI-IDE card from the computer

The only thing that seemed to make a difference was boosting the northbridge and PCI-e voltages. The file transfer would still crash, just at 50-75MB later in the transfer.

* The same DRAM allowed a 1200MHz, rock solid stable overclock in it's previous use with a P5WD2 and Pentium D915. I don't think the RAM is faulty, but I admit, I've not run diagnostics on it.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Leo,

Might not be a solution, but more a diagnostic way. Can you temporarily cable that pc instead of wireless it to the router and see if the filetransfer works?
    edited October 2007
    Can you temporarily cable that pc instead of wireless it to the router and see if the filetransfer works?
    Easy, no problem. When I get home this evening after work.
    edited October 2007
    Have you tried running 2 instances of Orthos and running small fft's to test the ram?
    One other test - I swapped RAM with another computer. The RAM was different brand, same frequency, same timings, same BIOS settings (diveded to 798MHz, SPD). No change to file transfer problem - no worse, no better. Looks like RAM is ruled out as the problem.
    edited October 2007
    Sounds like one or the other or a combo of networking and disk read/write errors to me, but who knows. I can't imagine why it would be crashing so hard as to black out your screen, though.

All your HDDs are ventilated fine, right?
    edited October 2007
    (I moved thread over here and changed the title. This problem is not symptomatic of overclocking and tweaking. The problem persists no matter the CPU clock, front side bus speed, or memory frequency. It's...no matter what I do.)

This has got to be a bad motherboard. I'm calling the vendor tomorrow for an exchange (Newegg).

To answer some good questions: the hard drives are very well cooled, each one sitting in front of a 120mm fan (Antec 900 with two 120mm intakes).

Voltages in BIOS are excellent. In Windows, they are very good too.

Mr. Swede, yes, I did test with a Cat 5 cable. Flawless file transfers, unlimited size.

OK, here are other troubleshooting steps and experiments I made, NONE of which fixed the problem:

- reinstalled wireless card drivers
    - removed card, installed card from machine that was working perfectly
    - removed that card, installed USB wireless adaptor
    - uninstalled all IDE, SATA, and add-in PCI-IDE devices, controllers...essentially anything that was possible to uninstall that was motherboard associated, then reinstalled all of it, to include the Intel chipset
    - BIOS update
    - installed drivers from motherboard CD and fresh ones from Abit's site
    - Windows update just in case (no hardware updates)
    - performed a WinXP repair installation

To repeat, NONE of the above made any difference.

All of that activity was performed with the clock at default, and voltages only boosted for DRAM.

I have now noticed other problems. If I don't set the PCIE frequency at 105, the screen will flicker every now and then. My monitor and video card are in full working order. They are not causing that. Not only over the network, but there was a crash today also when copying driver files from a CD to the hard drive! There was also a crash copying BIOS files to a floppy! This is nuts.

Oh, did I mention, I also reconfigured the entire system with a spare PSU that I know to be in good working order? That didn't change anything. I could go on and on...

It's time to admit defeat and ask the Egg for an exchange.

Any last minute suggestions before I call for an RMA number?
    edited October 2007
    So, it has to be either the southbridge or the pci-bus that is damaged somehow? Cabling sorted it right? USB wireless was bas, as was a pci wireless? The only thing it could be then is either the mainboard or the router then right?
    edited October 2007
    either the mainboard or the router then right?
    No, I've already ruled out the router. Five computers on the router: two wired and three wireless. The other wireless have no problems doing file transfers via wireless. This is the first 'bad' motherboard I've ever purchased.

Calling for RMA today.
    edited October 2007
    Update:

Swede, just to clarify, the board's instability (at any clock) cannot be attributed to the home network any more. I've just found too many other instabilities. The system even crashes moving files between local disks, even from HDD to floppy! Besides, two other computers, one with an identical wireless G card, play perfect nice-nice with the router.

There is one other troubleshooting step I'll try tonight - a brand spanking new Corsair 620W PSU. If this doesn't fix the stability, it is definitely a bad motherboard. (but anyways, I'll certainly keep the Corsair! yippee)

Swede & RyanOCZ. I would have loved to have purchased an OCZ PSU, but no one here stocks them, not even CompUSA. This was a rush purchase - no time to wait for an online order.

As it is right now, I have to boost both the south bridge and north bridge voltage almost to maximum to make the computer usable, even at default CPU frequency! I've never had such a headache with any motherboard before.

If it turns out to be me my power supply (made by Seasonic, BTW), I'll give my apologies to Abit in this thread.
    edited October 2007
    If it turns out to be me my power supply (made by Seasonic, BTW), I'll give my apologies to Abit in this thread.
    Well, I do not owe any apologies to Abit. It would appear there are quality control problems. This dog won't hunt. I installed a brand new Corsair 620 Watt HX PSU today and there is no computer performance difference. Same crash doing the same operation at the same ambient and component temps...

Looks like I'll take Newegg up on the RMA, but after this experience I just want a refund, no exchange. Besides, my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. The new board, the Corsair PSU, and the Q6600 should get along fine. Ought to be a fun weekend. Wish me luck.
    edited October 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Well, I do not owe any apologies to Abit. It would appear there are quality control problems. This dog won't hunt. I installed a brand new Corsair 620 Watt HX PSU today and there is no computer performance difference. Same crash doing the same operation at the same ambient and component temps...

Looks like I'll take Newegg up on the RMA, but after this experience I just want a refund, no exchange. Besides, my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. The new board, the Corsair PSU, and the Q6600 should get along fine. Ought to be a fun weekend. Wish me luck.

Hey, you'll pretty much have my setup now!

Let me know if you end up having drive problems like I am, haha. I reinstalled Vista and I think it's still happening, but I haven't gotten enough time to test it yet. I'm not sure it's the board's fault either, so any input you have will be helpful. Other than this problem, the board's fantastic and OCs like a champ. You should enjoy it.
    edited October 2007
    I have an idea of what it might be. I replied in your thread.
    edited October 2007
    The motherboard swap to the new one, Gigabyte P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0. worked beautifully. The system is as solid as a rock.

The IP35-E was definitely the culprit. I'm using all the same hardware (of course, the only exception being the mobo) without a hitch.
    edited October 2007
    Whoooooop. Rock on.
    edited October 2007
    Overclocking starts tomorrow. I'll post in the other thread. This board has the rock solid feel of my Asus P5WD2 series boards and my former Abit IC-7.

MJ, you've got a private message.
    edited October 2007
    I can safely say that i have seen some weird crap with those Abit boards the last few weeks. Seems extremely picky with ram.