What type of AMD Processor ?

edited October 2007 in Hardware
What would be the best type of Dual-Core - AMD Processor (3.0Ghz) ??

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    There's no way to make a blanket "best" statement.

What are you looking to accomplish, and what hardware is being coupled with it?
  • edited October 2007
    ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD

and would Kingston HyperX 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit x2 work ?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Do you already have these components, or are you buying them new? If you're buying new parts, Intel is a better choice.
  • edited October 2007
    Whats so good about intel i like AMD its like the only CPU's i buy but give me a good intel asus board and i'll take a look i already bought the monitor and case though waiting on a few more checks to buy the rest.<br>
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    IMHO Thax is right to a point. Intel is better at the top end, and at the bottom end.

There is nothing wrong with AMD's offerings though IMO. At the higher end of AMD's offerings, the performance is rather close with Intel's if you are looking at $ for $. Intels chip performance just goes alot higher (in bench marks) then AMD. It is basically opposite of the way it was years ago. Real world day to day stuff, AMD is fast too.

Depending on what mobo you want you could easily pay more for the Intel setup and your not going to get near the 3Ghz mark for Intel unless you have mucho $$$$. How ever, you most likely don't need to go to the 3Ghz mark if you go to Intel, as they are very fast.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited October 2007
    I like AMD for one simple reason. Memory controller is on the processor. Makes for good bandwidth efficiency.
  • edited October 2007
    I'll look up an intel and report back here.<br>
  • edited October 2007
    GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Ultra Durable 2, Ultra Cooling Intel Motherboard
    & Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 Kentsfield 3.0GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor ?
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    As long as you've got the $$$$ that would be great!!

Yes, that would spank anything that AMD has!
  • edited October 2007
    as people leave reviews on that motherboard they dont seem to like it much ...<br>
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Here's the deal:

Intel chips are faster than AMD chips right now. There, I said it. I can link you to a thousand websites that prove my point, but I don't need to because everyone here knows it. I'm being blunt because I hope you'll accept my words at their face value and pursue that route if you want the most amount for your money.

Isn't that what we're all in for anyways? Maximizing our dollar?

AMD hasn't had the fastest chip since June of 2006. Think how long that's been. :( But it's the truth.
  • edited October 2007
    Oh yes, Thrax i trust you guys i used to be a member on short-media :P
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2007
    The man speaks the sad truth.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Ultra Durable 2, Ultra Cooling Intel Motherboard
    & Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 Kentsfield 3.0GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor ?
    Ohhh, oh, oh...I'm drooling. Oh wow!

You might want to consider the Q6600 to save money. I really doubt you'd notice the difference between a 6600 and 6850.