atx 12v problem

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Alright im not exacly sure what is wrong but this what i got for ya. My computer randomly shut off the other day when i got home it was off. When trying to start it up it runs for around 2 secs then off. I then took everything off my motherboard and when i tryed just power supply in motherboard same problem. Then i unplugged the 4 pin (atx 12v) Then it fixed it powered up and everything and stayed powered. I plugged everything in and still it powered up but i didnt get beeps or graphics card working.

Is there anything i can do my power supply and fans work without the 4 pin but my graphics card doest work. but when 4 pin is in it just powers up for 2 secs.

Any help would be great.

ps: running an amd 64 athlon 3700+

Comments

• edited October 2007
    sounds like you ned a new PSU
  • edited October 2007
    why would it power up without the 4 pin connected tho?? I really thought it was a motherboard issue.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    why would it power up without the 4 pin connected tho?? I really thought it was a motherboard issue.
    That's a logical question. Yes, the motherboard could actually power up and POST (Power On Self Test - text on black background) could show up In Windows, the graphics card requires much more power than in POST. Could it be a problem with the motherboard? Well, yes, it could. It could also be a problem with the video card not accepting nominal voltage in Windows. That's highly unlikely. Based on experience with this time (my experience and others), it's an 8 or 10 chance this is a PSU that has gone bad.

BTW, more advance motherboards require an EPS12V connector, that's 2XATX 12v connector. All my motherboards are that way.
  • edited October 2007
    Im gonna try a psu tomorrow ill post and tell ya how it is.
  • edited October 2007
    i tryed another psu and still it didnt work. The same thing no 4 pin in and it works but once thats in runs for 2 secs and stops any help would be great.
  • edited November 2007
    I talked to tech support about the issue. 1. told me to try new psu. DId and no go still. 2. Processor. tried still no go. i have unplugged everything and just tried to run a processor with the motherboard. Now im told to get a new motherboard.

Any ideas before i order a motherboard.
  • KinetikKinetik Ocala, Florida
    edited November 2007
    Does your video card take a dedicated power source? (you connect a plug to it) If not try a powered card if you can.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    If it were my motherboard/system showing those problems, here are the troubleshooting steps I'd take first before replacing the motherboard:

1) remove/disconnect unnecessary components to rule them out as problems
    2) test with only one stick of RAM, test each stick one at a time (doubtful that both sticks would go bad at the same time, so test individually)
    3) test with a different PSU
    4) reset BIOS to defaults and test

Sounds like you've done most of this. If you are sure your RAM is good and there are no buggy components in the PCI/e slots, then yes, it would appear you need a motherboard replacement.
  • edited November 2007
    Ya i have pulled everything out it wont run when the atx 12v is plugged in unless i dont have processor in. So i believe its the motherboard.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2007
    So you're sure its not the videocard?(you never know)