corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

edited October 2007 in Hardware
Here's my situation. I was having some issues with my computer, nothing major, so I put in the xp disc hoping to do a simple recovery.

So I did the "setup xp windows now", and went through the steps till I got to press R to begin the Repair process then finally got about halfway through "installing devices" and I stupidly shut off the computer because it was taking forever.

Now every time I start im getting the infamous...
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\CONFIG\\SYSTEM

I went back in through the XP cd and instead selected Select 'R' at the first screen to start repair. And followed directions from a certain site but it did not work.

Any help?? This really sucks that I turned a minor computer issue into a major problem.

Comments

• edited October 2007
    followed some instructions and got the system to boot but now it hangs at agpcpq.sys when booting in safe mode. And booting in normal mode it gets past the xp windows logo and the screen turns black. Any ideas?
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited October 2007
    :wave: Hi zachj and welcome to Icrontic.
    Try following this excellant guide to repairing windows in 8 steps by our good buddy Thrax.

http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp
  • edited October 2007
    That was actually one of the first things I tried, it did not work. Besides I am past the system32 thing now. Now the boot sequence is messed up or something, see the 2nd reply I put up above...

I can't run xp repair console now either because all of a sudden it is requring a password. It originally did not require a password until I ran another method I found online to resolve the system32 corruption. What a mess.