Guitar Hero III tomorrow night!

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Buy it! great game, pretty much the only game i play consistantly. if i can come down ill bring my guitar so we'll have 2.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    tmh88 wrote:
    I got it today for 360. The first thing I noticed was that the graphics were much better. It looks really good. Also, the gameplay seems a little bit harder. It seems to be more picky about getting landing notes closer to the ciricles.

Make sure you calibrate the audio and video. Go into options.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited October 2007
    I'm gonna pick this one up a little later today. I'll drop my friend code and/or handle if I ever put it down. :aol:
    edited October 2007
    down to cliffs of dover and raining blood on expert. anyone done devil went down to georgia on expert yet? i hear its hard as hell.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']down to cliffs of dover and raining blood on expert. anyone done devil went down to georgia on expert yet? i hear its hard as hell.

and if you lose, the devil gets your soul.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Hey! Who fixed the spelling of "tomarrow"? I was just starting to get used to it! ;)
    edited October 2007
    Wow. I just finished the career mode on medium and I must say... It's harder than I remember it. Or maybe I'm just behind the times since the only previous game I played was the original on PS2. Hard mode should certainly spice things up a bit. :thumbsup:

I'm surprised to see that no one's dropped their friend code. Mine is below, but I prolly won't play much until tomorrow evening/night.

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    I keep forgetting to put up my friends code. I'm kind of dissapointed it doesn't do it automatically for your contacts like Metroid Does.
    edited October 2007
    My copy gets here today! Woo! It's for XBox 360, so no friend code. Only the ease of XBox Live. ;)
    edited October 2007
    I spoke with some chaps at EBGames last night and they said that for the Wii, single guitars aren't going on sale until some time in February, no idea on pricing. So if you want a second guitar you'll have to wait or by another pack. Then try and sell the game on ebay or whatever.
    edited October 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    I spoke with some chaps at EBGames last night and they said that for the Wii, single guitars aren't going on sale until some time in February, no idea on pricing. So if you want a second guitar you'll have to wait or by another pack. Then try and sell the game on ebay or whatever.

I talked to a toys r us near me and they're suppose to get them on nov 8th.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2007
    One by metallica just broke my fingers....that solo was so freakin hard.
    edited November 2007
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']I talked to a toys r us near me and they're suppose to get them on nov 8th.

Was that for the Wii? But I do hope your chaps are right. February is way to far away.
    edited November 2007
    Alright. So I had the opportunity to spend a little time with the game on both the 360 and the Wii. I own the XBox 360 version, and some friends bought the Wii version.

First impressions of the game in general: It's still the same formula, so it's still a lot of fun to play. I like the addition of the boss battles. That is pretty cool. My only complaint, and this may change with play, is that it doesn't seem to have the same feel that you're really rockin' the instrument. GH2 seemed to increase the volume of the track you were currently playing, so it felt like you were really playing it. GH3 doesn't seem to do that unless you've activated star-power.

I miss the fret-bar bounce when you mess up on a note, or even when you activate star-power. I didn't realize how much of a cue it was until it wasn't there anymore.

I like the note counter. That was a nice touch that I wished the other two versions had had from the beginning.

Impressions of the 360 version: Wow. The game looks really nice. I know it's just a rhythm game where the main focus is on those little colored dots flying toward your face at extreme speeds, but the high definition and power of the XBox make it look great.

Now, the bundled wireless guitar... What the hell? I don't understand their reasoning behind the removable neck when it's pretty much useless to everyone. Even the free bag they sent with it is still the full length of the guitar. The neck does not lock with entire security into the body. It still has about 1/8" of play. This causes the neck electronics to lose contact with the body electronics connector intermittently. In turn, fret buttons deactivate and reactivate during the song. It's considerably more often than I'd like.

Checking the official forums seems to have a lot of reports of this. Solutions include taking a bit of sandpaper to all the contacts, rubbing alcohol, shoving index cards into the neck/body connection to prevent movement, and using another neck-strap to go between the little nub on the neck to the base of the body of the guitar, pulled tight.

I grabbed a large rubber band and did what they suggested with the neck-strap. It worked like a charm. However, I shouldn't have to place a giant blue rubber band around my guitar because of poor quality control. How long have they had the design for these guitars worked out?

Also, star-power activated way too easily with the guitar. If I swing too much side-to-side, it will activate.

Impressions of the Wii version: Okay, I played the XBox 360 version first, so when I started up the Wii version, it kind of hurt my eyes. Now I'm not typically about the graphics, as gameplay means a lot. However, going from the 360 to the Wii, it really made me appreciate the high-definition capabilites of the XBox.

I couldn't get the timing right on the Wii version for some reason. I tried to calibrate the thing several times, only to get different time values every time. I couldn't check to make sure the fret buttons weren't doing the same thing my 360 guitar was doing because there was a large group of people around who wanted to play. Also, this was on an entirely different TV and sound setup. I didn't know how any of the components were setup, so it's hard to determine what the cause was.

Some issues may be easily fixed with patches. Others are hardware problems that need to be addressed by Red Octane.

Anyway, complaints aside, I really like the game. I can't wait to open more songs. I'll be spending most of tonight playing, so maybe I'll make it to the end. I'm looking forward to downloadable content.
    edited November 2007
    Does the Wii guitar attach to the Wiimote, like the other Wii controlers?
    edited November 2007
    Yes. Make sure you have another remote handy to select the game or leave the first remote out of the guitar when you first play GH3. It needs to install an update that allows the thumb-stick on the guitar to control the hand on screen to select things. This only happens the first time you play the game.
    edited November 2007
    Does the Wiimote attach by cable, or does it become part of the guitar somehow?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I'm interested in the Wii version. Is there any deal breaker or deal maker stuff over the 360 version? Given the choice (graphics notwithstanding - i honestly don't care + I have a piece of **** TV), gameplay / control / funwise, which do you prefer: Wii or 360?
    edited November 2007
    The Wii guitar has a little compartment that opens from the back, where you plug a cable into the base of the Wii remote. The remote then slips snugly into the compartment, which snaps shut. The remote is visible from the front of the guitar. It's actually pretty cool.

As for version preference, for me it's the 360 version. I played both on an HDTV, so I could definitely tell the difference. If they were on standard sets, chances are the 360 would look slightly better, but hardly worthy of praise over the Wii.

The deal-breaker would come for me in the lack of downloadable content, at least initially. However, Nintendo doesn't appear to have plans to release any larger storage media for the Wii, so DLC may not happen ever. Plus, the XBox Live service is just so streamlined, assuming you want to play online multiplayer.

Oh, and I'm addicted to achievements.

Short version: XBox 360.
    edited November 2007
    I have the wii version but I've checked out the 360 and I largely agree with Cyclonite. However I'd say the build quality on the Wii version of the guitar seems better. Once my neck is snapped in it's got no play at all and the additional vibration and squelch from the wiimote is a nice touch.

That being said if you have a 360 and a wii I'd still recomend the 360 version for the dlc and the ease of xbox live if you are paying for that anyway. The Wii version's online experience isn't bad, but compared to the 360 it feels a generation behind.

But if you only have a Wii, you won't be disapointed, it's still a fantastic game in every aspect.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2007
    I agree about the HD bit.

The high definition is really really nice, even if its such a simple game like GH3. If anything they went overboard with the graphics. All of the character models look awesome, especially slash and TOM MORELLO!!!
    edited November 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    But if you only have a Wii, you won't be disapointed, it's still a fantastic game in every aspect.

Definitely. Don't get me wrong, there. This is worth a purchase on any of the systems.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I'm interested in the Wii version. Is there any deal breaker or deal maker stuff over the 360 version? Given the choice (graphics notwithstanding - i honestly don't care + I have a piece of **** TV), gameplay / control / funwise, which do you prefer: Wii or 360?

As stated before, no downloadable content is a huge downside to the Wii version. This really seems like the type of game you want to be able to get DLC for.

As for the guitar problems, mine has no issues and snaps together very securely.
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it seems like I was one of the lucky ones who received a messed-up guitar.
    edited November 2007
    I felt like rambling and this is probably old news. But the light bulb finally went on for me in this game. I breezed through Easy mode and was doing OK at medium. But now I finally figured it out the mechanics of the game. I was to busy trying to hit each fret perfectly so if it called for yellow I'd only have 1 finger on yellow with no other keys pressed, then if it went blue I'd take my finger off yellow and hit blue etc....

I did the tutoria about the leaving your fingers on the keys, for hammer'ons and pull'ups but I kept thinking it was only for those. But then it clicked you can just leave your fingers on the frets and (with the exception of chords) it only recognizes the pressed fret closer to the strummer. Damn that makes things so much easier. It's like night and day.

Nothing new here for anyone that's been playing the game from the beginning or clued in. But I just got the eureka moment and felt like putting it up. I'm sure there are other newbs to GH that may be struggling with how to play fast.
    edited November 2007
    GH3 makes me sad. Easy is easier...hard is harder. I came to a sad realization one day while playing with a friend. In GH1 I used to say to my friend, "Hey, try the expert on (insert song name) it's really cool!" Now I'm saying the same for hard and I don't think I'll ever be on expert status...

I guess there's nothin left for me but to take it online.
    edited November 2007
    Actually, that added difficulty gives you a chance to continue to increase your GH skills. I'm stuck on the last set of songs on hard. I was almost done with Expert on GH2. This is definitely more challenging, and I'm happy about that. I didn't want to just blast through on expert and be done with it.
    edited November 2007
    It's strange, i flew through the first stages on expert on the first night, then on lou's inferno ive been stuck for like 2 weeks. finally down to raining blood and i have recently been able to get to like 85-90% on it so im close. gh3 is much more challenging than the past games i think. Does anyone else on the wii have a had time finding online matches? some days i can set up a stranger match and someone jumps in right away but then other days ill let it sit for 10-15 minutes without anyone.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, the last section of songs seems to jump up considerably in difficulty. I blew right through everything on hard until them, and I'll probably do pretty well on expert until them as well. I've yet to try many expert songs, but I'll probably start in the next day or two.