please help

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hey I have a laptop and I haven't been able to get on it for at least a month now. I got "the blue screen of death" whenever I try to start it up and i can't get off the screen. I read about ways to fix it but how am I supposed to do that if I can't get off the damn screen? It's a Dell Inspiron B120 Windows XP laptop.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    You need to use either an XP CD and do a repair install or use the disks and do a factory install. The factory install will lose all your data. So to backup the data you'd need to boot into that computer using a live linux cd and then burning the data you want to keep onto a cd or sending to a network computer through ftp for example.
  • KinetikKinetik Ocala, Florida
    edited October 2007
    Try to get the blue screen again, and post the STOP codes. They will look something like 0x3432FE87, 0x00000000, etc.. Then maybe we can help you fix it without reinstalling everything.
  • edited October 2007
    the stop code is 0x00000024 i think the problem is my hard drive
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Yes, you are probably right. Your hard drive's file system may be in disarray. Do you have a recovery CD, or even much better, a Windows XP installation CD available?
    edited October 2007
    Try booting in safe mode. Turn your computer on and before windows starts loading press F8. You will find a menu to start the computer in safe mode. If you can get the computer to boot in safe mode then once its started click Start, Click Run, Type CMD and press enter. Once your at the command promt screen type " chkdsk /F " you will probably have to restart in order to do the check disk.

Now if you cant boot in safe mode then your going to need a Windows XP disk so you can boot into the recovery console to run the chkdsk command.
    Alternitivley you can just reinstall Windows all together. Depending on how much data / programs you have on the computer it may be easier to just do that.
    edited October 2007
    Ohh! I hadn't thought of running Checkdisk from CMD prompt!

Good!
  • edited October 2007
    I tried all types of safe modes but it just gives me the blue screen right after. And no I dont have my installation disk which really sucks.
    edited October 2007
    What type of computer is it? Brand name or custom build? If it's a brand name you can request a copy of the original disk, you may have to pay shipping. If it's custom then you'll have to see if you can find a copy from a friend.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Nova,

Does the system have 2 sticks of ram or just 1? If it has 2, try removing 1 and runnning on just 1, see if there is any change. Test both sticks this way, see if 1 is causing the issue.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    You need a windows xp cd. You can try doing a chkdsk /f from the recovery console. But in all likeliness you are going to need to do a repair install.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I've had this problem before. Fixed it by repairing windows with the XP install disk. A new copy of XP can't be very expensive nowadays though, right?
    edited November 2007
    A new copy of XP can't be very expensive nowadays though, right?
    Yes it can. It's still in demand. The is no great shift to Vista happening.
  • edited November 2007
    Yeah I think the disks are like $100 the thing is I dont wanna pay for that and then find out that my pc is beyond repair or something. and RyderOCZ you completely lost me on that post. It's a Dell brand name laptop.