When booting to XP cd new hd is not recognized

edited October 2007 in Hardware
When I boot the first thing I see is Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG and it is detecting IDE drives.

then I see GigaRAID BIOS V1.36 F/W vER 02093030
Please wait for IDE scan..

In Drive 0: it recognizes the new drive and to the right of that is says IDE 0
then I see

Sil 3112A SATALink Host Controller BIOS Version 4.2.00 appears

To the right of Pri. Master Disk it says None

When I boot to the XP Pro CD I press F6 and then follow the instructions to insert a diskette with the necessary drivers - which I do.
Once it restarts I get three options 1 - To set up Windows XP NOW, press ENTER 2 - To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery
Console, Press R 3- To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, Press F3

When I press ENTER or R it says :
Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

The new hard drive is set for cable select.

What can I do so that the new hard drive is recognized and able to load an OS on it?

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    It sounds to me like you did not have the correct drivers on the floppy disk.

If you are sure you have the correct drivers on the floppy, and you do select them when prompted, and it still doesn't work, just put both the drive and the CD on the same IDE cable run off the dedicated IDE (non RAID) on the motherboard. Once in Windows finally, install all the motherboard drivers. When you shut down after that, then you can put the hard drive on whatever port you wish.
  • edited October 2007
    Thanks for your reply.

I didn't have the correct drivers but now that I think I do I followed your instructions. I placed both the CD-ROM and new hard drive on the same IDE cable run off. The hard drive is being formatted via the XP CD as I type.

Once it has finished installing the OS I am not clear what I should do.
    When on the XP Desktop how would I install the motherboard drivers?
    If I was to move the hard drive IDE cable back to its original location would that affect the hard drive in booting correctly?

Many, many thanks.
    hd
    edited October 2007
    When on the XP Desktop how would I install the motherboard drivers?
    Piece of cake. Simply insert your motherboard software/drivers CD and install everything that has anything to do with drivers. Do that as soon Windows installations is over.
    I didn't have the correct drivers
    That's actually a very easy mistake. Last night I was reinstalling Windows on a project comptuer (No. 5 in signature) and I used a floppy load of drivers for RAID-IDE onboard controller. I had double checked for correct files - twice - before loading those drivers on the floppy. WRONG. Turns out the drivers were for the SATA controller. I had to stop the Windows installation and put both CD and OS HD on the same IDE cable just like I advised you.

Afterwards, I rechecked the supposed IDE controller drivers. They were labeled incorrectly at the Asus site - they were indeed not IDE. The drivers on the motherboard were though, correctly labeled.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2007
    You wont need to install any SATA drivers once on desktop. They have already been installed when you setup windows.
    edited October 2007
    SATA drivers, yes, but if the SATA ports are driven by a southbridge-integrated controller or motherboard chip controller that is newer than the Windows CD drivers, they will not work in Windows. I've done two Windows XP SP2 installations in the last two weeks, wherein SATA drives on any of the SATA ports would not work at all without the floppy add-in during the installation. In both of these installs, I was using a Windows XP SP2 CD.
  • edited October 2007
    Thanks for all your help! The OS and installed and quite happy.

I will look to see if I can mark this issue solved.

Cheers!

hd
    edited October 2007
    Good! I'm glad the issue was solved. Don't worry about marking anything "solved" or "closed." There are no checklists here. It's just members helping others.