PSU on the bottom

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited October 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys, I just have a quick question (in bold).
Newegg is having a decent deal on the Antec 900 right now, but before I go buying it I was wondering if my current power supply is compatible with it.
Does it matter which way the power supply faces? Right now it is installed in a case that puts the psu on the topside. My power supply has an exhaust fan and a fan underneath it. The way it is mounted the writing is readable, so if I turned it over to mount it in the Antec 900 the psu would be upside down. Just checking to see if that is okay or if I should get a new psu.
The psu is an old Thermaltake. The closest thing I could find to it is this except mine is black and 480w. Thanks for answering! :D

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Your current PSU will work just fine in an upside-down configuration, no need to buy a new one just for a case change.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited October 2007
    Yes, just another confirmation, I have an Antec 900 and it has mounting holes to take a PSU either way up.

Best case I've ever owned, btw, even better than some Lian Li's I have :thumbup

I have the three 120mm fans on medium, the 200mm on full and added a Noctua 120mm 1200rpm to the side panel and it's very quiet with a CPU temp of 35C at 100% usage.
  • edited October 2007
    PSU's can be mounted in either config without any issues. I swap mine from a upper case mount to a lower case mount from time to time depending on what HW I'm using at the time. It's never caused a problem at all........;)
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited October 2007
    Okay, cool. Thanks guys :D
    I'm getting the case so I can finally overclock my opty 165 like it should be overclocked.
    I imagine the Antec 900 is pretty quiet with all of the 120mm fans, but does that crazy 200mm fan produce a howling wind by any chance? :eek3:
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited October 2007
    I imagine the Antec 900 is pretty quiet with all of the 120mm fans, but does that crazy 200mm fan produce a howling wind by any chance? :eek3:

Nope, in fact at full speed it's quieter than one of the 120mm's at mid-speed.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    The Antec 900 is an outstanding case. I have one and I just can't say enough good things about. Instead of Newegg, you might want to consider CompUSA. They have it on sale right now for $89. (Don't know what your local sales tax is.)
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited October 2007
    Newegg has it for $89.99 too..but it's a $35 mail-in rebate >.<
    So it's either Compusa for $105 ($15 shipping)
    or Newegg for $125 with a $35 mail-in rebate (free shipping)
    I think I'll go with Newegg just because I've dealt with them plenty of times in the past.

I had bad luck with a $50 Patriot mail-in rebate before (they sent me a check for $20, said they would send me another check but never did..and I forgot about it for about six months) but I wonder if I would have the same luck with Antec. :eek:

Strange little side story: About a year ago after moving down to the Philadelphia area a bunch of friends and I took a trip to the CompUSA in King of Prussia. It was a neat little place that us geeks enjoyed looking through (one of my friends got the Big Typhoon 'just because'). About a month ago I decided to take a trip and check out CompUSA again. I drove a little over an hour through heavy mall traffic and found the store again. I walked up to the door and this flimsy little piece of paper was taped to the door saying "closed, please visit our stores in Delaware or New Jersey." :o
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Ouch. CompUSA closed a significant portion of their US stores all in one big bunch several months ago because they were seeing big losses.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Oh, that's right about the store closures. The store up here is no danger of closure because they really have no big box competition. There is a Best Buy, but for computer components, they are light weights.