Upgrade choices.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hi all,
I looks like upgrade time again. I was going to just get a better CPU and more RAM but I think a more comprehensive upgrade future proofs me (a little anyway) and makes more sense. I am fairly sure the CPU is the one I want, nice price. The mobo, I selected this for no other reason that I know MSI have a good reputation with you guys. I only picked the RAM for the same reason as the mobo, and it is 4Gb. I don't know when I'll be getting them, maybe a few weeks, maybe after Christmas, but I'd like your input. The reason for this upgade is games, as always :rolleyes:
Thanks all.

Motherboard.
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(14023)MSI-K9N-SLI-Platinum-AM2-Skt940-nForce-570SLI.aspx
CPU
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(16658)AMD-CPU-AM2-Athlon-64-X2-Dual-Core-6000-Retail.aspx
RAM.
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(24583)OCZ-4GB-Kit-2x2048-Reaper-HPC-Edition-DDR2.aspx

Comments

• broady81broady81 Member
    edited November 2007
    Looks good :smiles: I'd trust Micro Direct too, bought a few bits from them before :wink: It's a matter of preference on whether to go dual or quad core, but that CPU is one of the best AM2's :bigggrin: Enough for games atm (Crysis benefits from quad ?) Happy computing when you get it anyway :smiles:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    What would the cost be to go Intel. I know that the mobo will cost more, the CPU should be about the same and the memory is the same.
    I am just thinking about how it will fold......
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2007
    I've no idea. I'm not an AMD 'fan boy' or anything but I've never had an Intel, I'd rather stick with AMD I think.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    If you're going to spend money, and we can make the money comparable, it's silly not to go Intel at this point. You get 15-40% (depending on the app) more performance per dollar with Intel.
    edited November 2007
    For that sort of gain I think you're right, I'd appreciate any suggestions. I know nothing about Intel CPUs or which mobos are decent. The cost of the parts I linked to are around £250, say $500? I wouldn't mind going to £300 or so. I use the PC for everything but do a lot of gaming. I run XP pro and will for quite a while methinks.
  • edited November 2007
    Your choices are quite good .
    edited November 2007
    mobos based on intels P35 chipset (soon to be followed by X38) are hitting the street. They look very fast and stable. Try this link
    http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3142

As for the CPUs, man there are options. Dual core or quad? 65um or 45um? 1 MB L2 cache or 2 MB or 4MB? 800MHz or 1066MHz or 13333MHz FSB? But any way you cut it the chips are fast and low power usage. And in a first for Intel they all use the same socket. Start with a medium speed core2duo chip, and them move up later.
    And they fold like mad in SMP.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    It's a matter of preference on whether to go dual or quad core
    If you truly are considering both, then you must consider Intel. AMD quad core CPUs seemingly only exist in news stories. Even the news stories aren't encouraging: it seems every new information release from AMD shows slower and slower clock speeds. Sad, very sad, but true.

Intel is not necessarily more expensive. As Thrax mentioned, Intel owns performance per watt and outright performance. Look around. I've seen some excellent P35 chipset boards for very good prices. (I understand your market differs from that of the US.) Try Abit. The IP35-E has been sub-$100 over here for a few weeks now. With mail in rebate, I just got one for $69. My first one was a disaster - RMA. But I seem to have been one of few who got a bad board.

If you can put together an AMD rig, an Intel computer is not big deal at all. About the only difference is that Intel has no "Hyper Transport" and the associated timings. Intel boards just have the classic FSB, north bridge, and south bridge, and memory timings. Being unfamiliar with the new chipsets, I strongly suggest you got to the Newegg site, even though you can't order from them. The customer reviews can be quite illuminating. When you have up to 200 people reviewing a motherboard, even if 1/4 of them are boneheads, you get a pretty good idea of what the motherboard will be like in your computer, versus that of a PC in a reviewing site's laboratory.

If you go Intel, go with Intel chipsets (the best, hands down) and don't get anything older than P35. P35 has much upgrade life left in it.
    edited November 2007
    I was wrong. Barcelonas are available.

Here (after the Luciano Pavarotti and Bruce Springstien stuff).
    edited November 2007
    I am leaning towards an Asus commando. Leo, didn't you post a link to a review? I can't find it though I've read a couple of others.

Edit, just read this - This LGA775 design uses the Intel P965 chipset instead of the new P35 so you're limited to the current crop of Core 2 processors with 1,066MHz FSB and won't be able to upgrade to the 1,333MHz models that Intel is about to launch. -
    Maybe not a commando then. This shows how much I know about Intel boards. I though the P965 was newer than the P35.:rolleyes:
    edited November 2007
    Personally, any Socket 775 motherboard that I will purchase with the intention of keeping for a while will be at 1) Intel chipset and 2) at least P35. This is the best choice for long term upgrade potential and overclocking. It's worth the extra money (not that much extra).

I have an Abit IP35-E in my workshop that was new for $79, $69 after rebates. I realize prices differ depending on the market. I merely stated the dollar amount to show that Intel chipset boards are not necessarily expensive. Even though the 45nm quad core CPUs are not out yet, BIOSes updates to support 45nm chipsets are already starting to appear. Downloaded it for the Abit last night.
    edited November 2007
    edited November 2007
    That 'll fold.
    Looks tight.
    edited November 2007
    You will have some fun with those parts. Enjoy!
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2007
    Why buy online are Aria not close to you in Manchester ??? Ahh Microdirect also in Manchester. Jammy sod :bigggrin: only dodgy grey importers in Glasgow area meh :confused:
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Hey hey...I have some good info for you too ;)

Check out this thread when the parts get there: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32363

Not quite the same kit as you bought there...but good tips for 2x2GB and some overclocking as well :D
    edited November 2007
    I got the mobo and CPU this morning. Micro direct is only a short drive away. I had to get different RAM though, this one - http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(17017)OCZ-4GB-Kit-2x2048-Vista-Performance-Gold.aspx
    It is supposed to be the same except for the heatsinks which are onl to allow more overclocking, which I'm not really bothered about. Looking at installing it all on Saturday.