repair hal.dll, having big trouble.

edited November 2007 in Hardware
i am usuing ubuntu and windows. but the other day i was on windows and got the blue screen. now when i try to start it it tells me i need to repair the hal.dll. i have the repiar cd, and try going to recovery console, .. and tried to plreace hal.dll, but it tells me its not th right directly or soemthing. can someone please tlel me what else i can do, or what i can even do to correc tit?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Hi, Shorty. Have you tried a repair installation? (not repair console)
  • edited November 2007
    dont ..think so. how do you do it?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    start windows installation as usual, and when it ask you which partition u want to select to install, select the partition u have windows on already, and when you do that, if will ask if you want to press R to repair.
  • edited November 2007
    ok so, when i do the recovery console, it gives me the choice of choosing H:\WINDOWS; when i did what you said leishi, it would not recognize the H one, but only the C drive. So i installed it on the C drive. Now when i boot up, it gives me 2 choices of windows xp to use. the top one, is the one i just did (on windows, i had it partitioned so there was a C and D drive. i had everything i need on the D, and like 3 songs on C, and when i did the repair that leishi said to do, it recovered everything on C drive... which i dont really care for, there were no windows systems settings on that, only on D. but the problem is, is that when i try to do the install>repair, it only will recognize C, and not what i want it to recognize, H. can someone please help? oh yea and doing this comletely deleted my ubuntu tthat was working perfectly.. so now that computer is basically useless until i download this chiset and everything from another computer and instlal them onto that compiuter.
  • edited November 2007
    id get what you can off of it and wipe all the drives and reinstall from the start tbh otherwise you may e nd up with one messed up registry which will lead to more problems later on .
  • edited November 2007
    how can i get everything off it?
    is it possible to copy everything in the drive to dvds inside the repiar console?
    edited November 2007
    Shorty, this is getting confusing, friend. Which thread should we follow: this one right here or this one?
    edited November 2007
    Thread closed - redundant.

Go HERE instead.
This discussion has been closed.