Computer won't boot - maybe power supply issue?

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited November 2007 in Hardware
Well I went to turn on my computer today, and when I pressed the button the leds came on for a split second and they immediately went off (needless to say..nothing else booted up). My first thoughts were a power supply issue so I tried unplugging for a few seconds and plugging back in, but no luck. I wanted to know what you all thought.
I know the general rule is that your computer should work fine unless something changes..and I'd say this is the exception. Although I recently added a backup harddrive (maybe two weeks ago?), my computer has been booting fine for those two weeks. I've left my computer lying on its side since then (mostly because I'm too lazy to do wire management all over again and the fact that in a little more than a month I'll be switching the components over to an Antec 900). The only thing I can think of is that I smelled a strange burnt smell last night while playing Halo with my roommate online, but I figured it was just my neighbors cooking again (they tend to cook things that smell strange). I sniffed around my computer just in case, but I couldn't smell anything.
My power supply and mobo are the oldest components in my computer..about 2 and a half years old.
PSU: Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480w
Mobo: MSI K8N Neo-4 Platnium Standard - known for suspicious nb fans, but I saw that mine was running when I was sniffing around.
Thanks for any help! It's torture being unable to access my up-to-date book (it's on a sata drive and the only sata mobo I have is the one above)

Comments

• AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited November 2007
    Well I started by unplugging my sound card, my storage drive, and one of my optical drives, and the same thing happened: leds flash on but then turn off and nothing boots.
    Then I unplugged my video card, which requires that two molex connector thing, and now my computer will turn on. I'm going to try putting in my old geforce6600 to see if that works. If it does then I'll try plugging back in the sound card/hd/optical drive to see if it boots. If all that works does that mean it could be the video card? It's a geforce 7800gt.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    The Thermaltake PSUs have wide-ranging owner opinions. Some users think very highly of them. Many users have reported early failure of their TT units. I recently shopped for high quality PSUs and did a lot of reading and comparing. When I was researching Thermaltake, the performance seemed to be very good, but the risk of premature failure seemed higher than the competition.
    edited November 2007
    Yeah when I bought the TT a few of my friends had TTs that they said worked well and never failed them, so I figured I would go with it.

I put in the 6600, and it still booted, but nothing would display. I wasn't sure what was up with that. I then decided to try to make the 7800gt boot so I could see if maybe there was a display problem. I unplugged everything but the essentials, and the computer booted and it displayed. I thought that was strange. I plugged in one optical drive, my primary hard drive, and my sound card, and my computer booted fine. :eek:
    So I guess everything is okay now. Maybe the video card just needed reset for some reason?? :confused: I guess I'll never know.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I am still worried about your PSU. Watch carefully next time you are gaming. It could be one of the supply rails to your vidcard that is weak.
    edited November 2007
    edcentric wrote:
    I am still worried about your PSU. Watch carefully next time you are gaming. It could be one of the supply rails to your vidcard that is weak.

:eek: Well how can I watch it? Is there such thing as a power supply monitor software? I don't have any type of electrical tools around the house (which I should really get on correcting..)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Long shot, but worth a try: Do you have any friends with spare parts...such as a spare PSU that you could try? PSUs are actually very easy to install. You just put the cable connectors where they fit.