Debating a cluster project to keep my rep

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Folding@Home
OK, you're all starting to freak me out a little with the 200K-per-day challenge. I mean, I used to be able to relax, but look at this! I've got lsevald stepping on my heels here, and a few more gaining traction.

OK, so I obviously need to do something. I was debating building a folding rig, but that's boring. Then I was thinking to myself: "Self, you need to build yourself an expandable cluster. That way, when they get close, you add a few nodes, and bam, life on easy street again."

I'm thinking about this, and then I see in the news today that they're selling the mobo+proc in that new $200 Walmart gOS box for $60. $60! Maybe I could pick up 10 or so!

Oh but no, I think there might be a catch here. The specs on the mobo+proc are:
* Processor -- Via C7-D 1.5GHz
    * Chipset -- Via CN700 + VT8237R plus
    * Memory -- 2 x DDRII slots, for up to 2GB
    * Storage:
          o 2 x PATA interfaces (up to ATA133)
          o 2 x SATA interfaces (up to SATA150)
          o Floppy drive interface
    * Networking -- 10/100 Base-T Ethernet based on Via VT6103L PHY
    * Video -- Via UniChrome Pro IGP (VIA CN700)
    * Audio:
          o
          o Based on Realtek ALC655 (supports 6 channels)
          o Connectors -- audio line out/in, mic jack
    * Other I/O:
          o VGA out
          o 4 x USB 2.0 ports
          o 2 x PS2 ports
          o Parallel printer port
          o Serial port
          o IR interface
      Expansion:
          o PCI slots
          o CNR slot
    * Power:
          o 20-pin ATX power connector
          o +12V 4-pin power connector
          o Supports ACPI S1/S4/S5 mode power management
    * Dimensions -- 7.5 x 9.0 inches (190 x 228 mm)

Now, obviously, this isn't a board you'd want to make the heart of your gaming rig. I mean, come on, a Via C7 processor? Where's the eMachines logo? But wait, what about a "nine-core" C7 processor with the cluster? Eh, ehh?

Well, if anyone has any insight on the logistics of clusters and can see any weaknesses here, I'd like to hear them. It seems like a pretty good deal to me, I'd just have to pick up 9 USB sticks for cluster hard drives, and I have a 20GB HD or so here for the head unit. Pick up a few power supplies, a CD drive, a bunch of patch cables, a 10+ port switch and a box fan, and I'd be in business, right?

:bigggrin:

edit: oh yeah, and some memory. But I have a bunch of that around.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Via C7? I'm not sure if it will process any F@H work unit successfully, unless there are still work units without deadlines.

One or two quads will probably give you more processing power than cluster of 20 or 30 C7s.

A C7 is essentially a mid-level PIII.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2007
    A bit of a non starter Beowulf and other clusters won't cut the mustard for FAH, the stock answer from the FCF as this pops up aboutonce every 6 months is the whole FAH effort is a cluster. SMP on a cluster is an even bigger clusterXXXX due to network overheads.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    meh, ok
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    You can always run 2 Mobos from 1 PSU and have network boots from 1 HDD. About as cheap as you can get right there. If they C2Qs you need at least 1gb min for RAM and more to be sure that it never pages.

It is tempting though to get another C2Q machine and be about 3rd-4th in overall production for Team 93 for about another $500.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I was thinking of making myself a farm out of my 6 computers... but after looking into the Quad Core 6600 and with what members here and on other forums have said ...plus after benchmarking my current hardware I have decided to invest in the Quad ..this time Intel really have made an excellent processor IMHO. I think those Via ..even with 20 of them would be an impressive 'army' ... but I am with Leo on this one... Go Duo or Quad and create a farm or cluster out of that:bigggrin:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007
    You must get your electricity cheap, too- I'd think 10 of those systems might turn on a lot of light bulbs ... and a couple of quads?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    About 200-250w each I would say for a barebones Quad.