Did something stupid

boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
edited November 2007 in Internet & Media
I deleted some programs from my computer using the "Add/Remove Windows Components" feature and I accidentally deleted my Internet Explorer. Did a successful system restore and all is good, but I cannot find the Explorer icon anywhere. The only way I can use the internet is by going to the website of a game I run in its options and it opens it for me.

I just want my Explorer icon back -_-

Comments

• ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Firefox..........anyone ........ :)

edit:/..why not just download Firefox or Opera? You would probably be better off anywoot!

edit2:/..somebody will probably solve your dilemma with better information... if you feel you must keep IE. :wink:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    well, since internet explorer is impossible to get rid of because of its integration into the shell you don't have much to worry about.

I don't know what to tell you about the icon, but go to my documents, or some other folder and type in a web address in the address bar. See what happens.
  • boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
    edited November 2007
    I figured it out, I went to the website like I explained above and went to my homepage, saved the address as a shortcut to my desktop, renamed and changed the icon and wallah.

But I have another question. How do I get the icon as a shortcut and put it into my taskbar?

Edit: I figured this out as well...
    edited November 2007
    Grrrr, I can't get the icon to stay as the default explorer icon, it keeps changing back to the stupid Y icon from Yahoo since that was and is my homepage from when I set it as a shortcut. Any thoughts on how to keep it from changing back?
    edited November 2007
    Right click on the taskbar and it should be an option .Windows Xp ..right????
    edited November 2007
    Grrrr, I can't get the icon to stay as the default explorer icon, it keeps changing back to the stupid Y icon from Yahoo since that was and is my homepage from when I set it as a shortcut. Any thoughts on how to keep it from changing back?

:bigggrin::tongue:
    Use a better browser like Firefox or Opera (hint,hint)................................

I am sure someone here will have a solution:cool2:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    Go to: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and create(or Right Click->Send to Desktop) a shortcut of iexplorer.exe to wherever you want.
    edited November 2007
    Much appreciated mmonnin :D

And yes, it's Windows XP Telemech.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Mr. b9215, glad you got your problem fixed. Seriously though, please Mozilla Firefox a try. I switched three years ago and have no desire to use IE again. It's still needed for Windows Updates, but that's it.

Install it, try it!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2007
    If you'd like to restore the non-shortcut IE icon to the desktop, you can go to display properties and then 'customize desktop' like in the below image.. let me know if that doesn't work for you :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=24275&stc=1&d=1194614119
    edited November 2007
    Thanks a lot Lemonlime, that did the trick :D

Leonardo, what are the benefits of Mozilla Firefox over Internet Explorer? (you've got me curious)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Features and security. Basically, it's better than IE in everyway that it is possible for a browser to be better. However, 'tabbed browsing' alone is enough to win me over.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I even talked the IT guys at work into letting me load and run Firefox. The popup blocking was the first attraction, but all around it reduces trash and works well.
    Once in a while you will find websites that were written using MS software and not html, so you still need Expl on occasion.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    edcentric wrote:
    I even talked the IT guys at work into letting me load and run Firefox. The popup blocking was the first attraction, but all around it reduces trash and works well.
    Once in a while you will find websites that were written using MS software and not html, so you still need Expl on occasion.

There's a plugin that can load IE's rendering engine inside Firefox, so you never have to open IE.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    There's a plugin that can load IE's rendering engine inside Firefox, so you never have to open IE.

orly?

link?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    You have to be on Windows; it calls the IE functions by having IE installed. Do you still want it?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    IE Tab is the extension he's talking about, but he's right, it only works natively in Windows.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2007
    I use ietabs for this functionality on FF with Xpsp2