Please help with parts list (whats good/bad)

edited November 2007 in Hardware
I am looking to build a new computer and transfer a HDD from my old one. I just thought I'd ask you guys if the parts seemed like a good list. If its a crappy computer then please let me know what i can do to be able to get it better. Here is the parts list for the new computer:

CPU:
AMD AM2 X2 4400

Motherboard:
GA-M61P-S3

Video Card:
Asus Radeon X1950pro (PCI) Video Card

Hard Drive: Western Digital 500 GB SATAII
Plus a Western digital 250GB SATA from my current computer

Case:
Thermaltake Soprano VX Chassis

CDR\RW's & DVDR/RW's:

Lite On CDRW/DVDR - 39
Pioneer 212D SATA Dual layer DVD Writer
Asus DRW-1814BLT 18xDVD+-RW 14xDVD-RAM LightScribe-SATA

PSU:
OCZ Stealth Xstream 600W

RAM:
2x Kingston 2GB 5300 Twin DDR2 RAM

Extras:
ST Lab USB 2.0 PCI Bus Card (4 Port)
ST Lab IEEE1394 Firewire PCI Bus Card (2Ext.+1Int. Port)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me. Is this a good computer? I am mostly going to be using it for general use, watching DVD's (not HD or anything), burning discs and playing games when I'm bored (not enough to warrant a larger price tag just for a gaming computer)

To me, the list seems good to go but I wanted to get the opinions of people that are smarter than me so i thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance for any advice on whether its good or bad and what i can do to improve it.

Comments

• ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    My only advice would be to seriously consider the Intel Quad 6600 and an appropriate motherboard ... Intel Quads are really delivering... IMHO.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    Yep second that. Intel Q6600 and a Intel P35 board that suits your needs.
  • edited November 2007
    Thats kind of irritating then because I've already got the motherboard and the CPU due to a screw up with a previous build by the manufacturers (the whole thing was a massive debarkle).

Thanks for your tips though but i already have the motherboard and CPU so yeah.....is it good apart from those two though?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    What is your budget for this build?
    How long do you wish to run it before major upgrades?
    How will you employ your computer - what will be the typical usage?
  • edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    What is your budget for this build?
    How long do you wish to run it before major upgrades?
    How will you employ your computer - what will be the typical usage?

Probably about 2 years or so. i will typically use it just for screwing around on the internet and watching movies/shows. I do a little bit of gaming when im bored but i don't really need a super high end graphics card. That list of parts will cost me about a grand (thats Australian by the way) so i suppose that would be about 850 American dollars.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    Since you already have the stuff I would just get PC6400 instead of 5300. If you already have the CPU, mobo, and 1 HDD I dont see how it is going to cost you that much.
  • edited November 2007
    The place i get my parts from is basically the cheapest place i can go to and even then its expensive. I wish newegg would ship to australia :(
  • edited November 2007
    Thanks to everyone for all your advice, it is very much appreciated