NEW MB old HD...Curious Question!!!

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited December 2007 in Hardware
Any reason y i have to reinstall windows? Shouldnt I be able just plug it all in and let windows sort it out?

I shouldn't need to do a fresh install when the only thing changed was the MB right?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    The only time you must do a fresh install of Windows is when you change the MoBo.

Each Windows install is specific to the MoBo that was in the system when it was installs, and wll stop working if told to work with a different MoBo.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    There is a 20% chance that a repair install may get you back up and running. Depending on how much of a hardware stretch you are going between.
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited November 2007
    ok...then how do i figure out which of these 3 drives is my blank one...lol....i know one is my data...one is my windows...and one is my back up...i want to load windows on my backup drive....format the backup drive and do the fresh install on it to go back and do some recovery of some pics and stuff off the the old windows drive.....

Doable?

IF so...how?'

Got to be a way for me to see what amout of space is used on the drive prior to windows format for xp install....right?
    edited November 2007
    actually let me ask you this....on my pc ...before the MB went bad....I had my Primary set up as the windows drive C: and then my data drive set up which would come up as D: and then my back up which would come up as E:...doesnt that mean that my data drive was set as my secondary master and my backup as my secondary slave? or could that be wrong?...I have so much data on that data drive.....and it is the same model as the back up drive....grrrr....

HELP?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    The only time you must do a fresh install of Windows is when you change the MoBo.
    Baloney. A repair installation works very well as long as you ensure that as much as possible that is unique to the previous motherboard is uninstalled first.
    There is a 20% chance that a repair install may get you back up and running. Depending on how much of a hardware stretch you are going between.
    Baloney again. It all depends upon how clean you keep your Windows installation. If it's full of clutter and lots of unused drivers, then yes, a Repair Install is dicey. If you take good care of your Windows XP installation by removing junk from the registry and uninstalling stuff you don't use, Repair Installations work just fine. In the last five years, I've gone through probably 15 or more motherboards ranging from NForce 2 to Socket 775/Intel Chipset P35. I've only had to do two fresh installations in that whole time.

If you are the type of user who just keeps piling on gizmo after gizmo and software after software without meticulous cleaning and registry maintenance, then yes, that 20% figure is probably close to the mark.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2007
    Good Lord. The repair always works. Thats what its for. Its a fresh install that keeps your old programs and docs. You gotta update any drivers not supported by windows natively. Just like a fresh install. (rolls eyes...)

Crap I can do a repair install on a dual xeon with intel chipset to an old ECS AMD with a SIS chipset with differant NICS, Sound, Chipset and CPU's.

It has NEVER failed and I have done hundreds of them. Thats 100 percent not 20 percent. Not even 99 percent. I have done more cross platform repairs then 95 percent of the people on this board. They have all worked. Not just for me but for customers...... And their machines have been crap filled with junk. I have never ONCE had it fail. On a UPGRADE from one platform to another. I have a COUPLE TIMES had XP so mucked up that a repair would not fix it. But we are talking a perfectly running system and just a MB swap????? Sheeeeesh.... Piece of cake 95 percent of the time and if you really know what your doing then the percentage rises.

The misinformation in this thread is ridiculous. I just die laughing at the "Well you gotta format and install a fresh copy of XP" as the normal way to solve trivial problems.

THIS ISNT WINDOWS 98.

Cowboy
    edited November 2007
    Tex repair installs don't always work, while I've had much better then 20% success it's not a guaranteed and your full of it. You may have had a 100% success rate but then you've been lucky. There is also a huge difference between getting a system up and running with a repair install and getting it up and running at 100%.

Regardless if a repair install works it's often still better to do a clean install, do the house cleaning and start from scratch. This is especially true if you are doing a massive hardware leap where windows WILL keep **** old drivers around that aren't supposed to be doing anything but start to crop up or create dead weight. So when it comes to telling people if repair installs work for a major hardware upgrade that I'm not doing myself. I'll stick with my 20% ratio.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Baloney. A repair installation works very well as long as you ensure that as much as possible that is unique to the previous motherboard is uninstalled first.

I would include a repair installation as a type of installation. What I meant is that changing the MoBo will not work to simply leave the OS intact.
    edited November 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    Tex repair installs don't always work, while I've had much better then 20% success it's not a guaranteed and your full of it. You may have had a 100% success rate but then you've been lucky. There is also a huge difference between getting a system up and running with a repair install and getting it up and running at 100%.

Regardless if a repair install works it's often still better to do a clean install, do the house cleaning and start from scratch. This is especially true if you are doing a massive hardware leap where windows WILL keep **** old drivers around that aren't supposed to be doing anything but start to crop up or create dead weight. So when it comes to telling people if repair installs work for a major hardware upgrade that I'm not doing myself. I'll stick with my 20% ratio.

I have hundreds more then you on all types of machines. They all worked.

So maybe its not being "Lucky"? (LMAO) 95 percent of the time you can just hit return and take the defaults all the way through. And Bingo your up. This is NOT rocket science. This isnt even bottle rocket science dude.

I have done hundreds and hundreds of these. Not a single failure. Thats not luck. IF THE SYSTEM WAS RUNNING TO START WITH! Or if it is LUCK I should be living in Vegas.....(wink)

The question was DOES HE HAVE TO do a fresh install..... Nope. Not if his system runs OK now. Now if your a DOOFUS and have your system all jacked up then common sense says YES do a fresh install.... I can walk 99 percent of the guys that post here through a repair install no problem IF THEY CAN FOLLOW SIMPLE DIRECTIONS....

This is not hard...... If his system functions OK now then it will work after a repair. PERIOD. Assuming the new hardware is sound. And if its not then they would have the same probs on a fresh install. A REPAIR IS A FRESH INSTALL! It just keeps all your programs and docs etc.. THATS WHY IT WORKS...

At the old Icrontic I had almost 15,000 posts and walked tons of folks all over the world through this. I posted my home phone number in the forums and had calls from all over the world.

No failures on those either.

D A M N !! I must be lucky huh??? Or ... (wink) maybe I'm just right. (LMAO)

Cowboy
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    FWIW, Vista does a lot of it automatically. I swapped out all the hardware in one of my systems except the hard drives and told it to boot... and it reset some things to defaults like the resolution, but everything else worked perfectly. I know this isn't strictly on topic, as it's not XP, but if other people find this later, they should know that at least for me, Vista handled it like a champ.
    edited November 2007
    Oh yeah vista is awesome in that respect. I have been shocked and pleased at how slick it is.

Cowboy
    edited November 2007
    Tex & Krysst:

Both of you have been life savers here and I have listened to both....Tex you may remember this all began back with a surge...well remember I thought it may be the PSU....well it wasnt it was the MB....lol....day or two after I had it all going the sucker crapped out on me and here we are...took up to a friend who had a PSU tester and all was fine...

Problem is I got the new MB in and DOA so having to ship it back although I have to say the MB Tech support was the best I have ever had to deal w/....Down to earth one on one right out there w/ the answers.....board in front of him not reading from a stupid manual or screen....guy actually said "hang on...let me get the board"..."ok...lets do this"...."step 1...." yada yada yada...now that was cool!

Anyway...RMA the DOA and waiting on the replacement then going to try your way first TEX....worst that can happen is it doesnt work and then I go w/ Kryst...makes the most since!

Thx for the Heads up....

PS....PM me the # if your really that open to helping people!....lol
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    A repair should work. So what if a driver file is still there on the HDD, the OS will not be looking for it. As Leo said XP can work after any change in motherboards.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2007
    Never had a failure using the repair option on XP, hell I got lazy and Win ME managed to boot after an upgrade from socket A to socket 939 added new drivers and it folded for another 6 months.
    edited November 2007
    Tex & Krysst:

Both of you have been life savers here and I have listened to both....Tex you may remember this all began back with a surge...well remember I thought it may be the PSU....well it wasnt it was the MB....lol....day or two after I had it all going the sucker crapped out on me and here we are...took up to a friend who had a PSU tester and all was fine...

Problem is I got the new MB in and DOA so having to ship it back although I have to say the MB Tech support was the best I have ever had to deal w/....Down to earth one on one right out there w/ the answers.....board in front of him not reading from a stupid manual or screen....guy actually said "hang on...let me get the board"..."ok...lets do this"...."step 1...." yada yada yada...now that was cool!

Anyway...RMA the DOA and waiting on the replacement then going to try your way first TEX....worst that can happen is it doesnt work and then I go w/ Kryst...makes the most since!

Thx for the Heads up....

PS....PM me the # if your really that open to helping people!....lol

You can post to me here but I only check in every couple days or just PM me so I get an email. I will ALWAYS help ! I remember when you first came to icrontic actually YEARS ago.... (smile)

Cowboy
    edited November 2007
    yep...that would be me....lol....it has been that long....and both of you have been that big of a help....will give a shout out when the MB get back from the RMA....
    edited December 2007
    Finally...after 3 DOA MB's...and 1 CPU...I have a Stable machine again....Sooo

Started the XP repair and it took me to a does promp windows directory...whats next?
    edited December 2007
    oops....figured it out...lol

its doing its thing now....
    edited December 2007
    just had an error...

Says...

"failed to load the library 'c:\windows\system32catsrv.dll'."
    edited December 2007
    Another...

File not installed or currupted.."..directdb.dll"
    edited December 2007
    2 or 3 .dll ones now..
    edited December 2007
    Hmmm and repair installs always work :)

Are you able to get into windows through safe mode? If so check in your device manager and see if any devices are flagged.

Google is telling me that you system32catsrv.dll error is related to a broken COM+ file. Normally that isn't fatal in starting windows, but can prevent other things from working correctly though from the looks of it that's pretty much a win2k error only. So not sure why you are getting it if you are running XP.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I have never really had to do repairs, or do a fresh install of windows with a mobo upgrade. All I do is uninstall what drivers for the old mobo i can, swap out my junk, and blam. works. I have done this at least 5 times. Once going from a nforce 4 socket 939 board to a p35 lga775. All I had to do was call Microsoft and reactivate my install over the phone only because I had activated it several time already. But lets say it has not worked that way, which in my case, it hasn't. Then all I did was repair windows and it worked like a champ. Even on an install I had been running for 2+ years.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    I always fresh install, but that's because the only thing on my OS drive are light applications that I can download in seconds, like winamp and the gimp Everything else hits my sata drives like my games and stuff.
    edited December 2007
    I do the same and put everything but windows on separate drive. But if I can avoid having to call Microsoft, I will.
    edited December 2007
    Then ghost the drive instead. If I had the extra hardware (A blu-ray burner) I'd do that.
    edited December 2007
    I have never thought of that! I have plenty-o dual layer dvds and smaller older hdds that work fine laying around.
    edited December 2007
    Yes I can get in to Windows...and so far so good....only thing i have found to this point is IE doesnt work...

When I click on it says...."iexplore.exe-Entry Point Not Found"

So far that is the only error to speak of...

I have tried to add and remove it throught the XP CD and didnt work...any other ideas?

I cant find my Office CD so trying to put off a format till i can find that...lol
    edited December 2007
    Well, I'd say just remove IE, and install firefox. Only takes a few seconds and it'll work until you can download IE7.
    edited December 2007
    ok...thats all fine...and sounds ok...but how do i get firefox?...guess of my LT?