windows is not recognized!

edited November 2007 in Hardware
i mesed up and needed to make a new install of windows. when i go to the recovery console it asks m what windows i want to log onto.. C or H, H has all the files i need on it, but i can not get to it because it says theres a missing or curupt hal.dll file. wbut when i type in bootcfg /list... it says that there is only one instnace of windows, C. How can i get it to recognize the H

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2007
    It's reading off the boot.ini file. That points to the boot files. Just pick C: Its not going to format your drive and you will not lose data.

Scares me though that you say you want to do a NEW install... But your in recovery console? Why?

Tex
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited November 2007
    edited November 2007
    Kentigern wrote:
    But thats just as confusing. Leo told him to repair the install to the one XP finds. Not go to recovery console. He asked how to do that? Leisha told him.

Now he says he has installed again to the C: drive if I am understanding correct?

Leo and Leisha gave him correct advice. And in his post he says he is in recovery console even though Leo specifically told him not to use it. He asks how to do a repair and Leisha tells him and instead he installs another copy of XP?

For the love of gawd????

All he had to do was what he was told here??? And he keeps making it worse. We are trying to help but... We can not be there to work the keyboard and mouse for him. All we can do is tell him what to do and we depend on him to follow the directions. (would also be nice to stick to one thread also... rolls eyes...) We depend on him for information about his problem and he has to trust us and follow directions on the solution.

We can walk him through this STEP by STEP but he has to stop guessing and doing goofy stuff. He is making this worse and more confusing.

He started by simply not understanding where the boot files were it looks like.

He just needed to do a repair as Leo and Leisha told him. Just answer the questions and take the default of where it found windows installed. trust me that install CD found the boot.ini and knew more about the Windows XP installs available then the user did. JUST TAKE THE DEFAULTS!

We are at a serious disadvantage here. We can not slap his hands when he starts typing goofy stuff. We depend on him to follow what we say. BUT WE DEPEND ON HIM to ask questions and follow the advice given..... I half expect thie next post to describe the current situation as he has now installed win2k3 and it won't start and he has now installed Linux and is at a boot prompt or something.....

WE WANT TO HELP !!! But he has to slow down and just follow instructions.

Kindest Regards

Cowboy
  • edited November 2007
    when i try to do a repair, it only lets me do C:\, but i know that there is an installation on H:\.. when i slect H:\ it says there is nothing there. H is recognized in the recovery console tohugh. i dont want to lose anything on H,

and i did also do it the way i was told, i went to install, not repair. then when i went to chose what partition to install on, it only showed C and H drive formatted in NTFS. so i wanted to do H, but when i selected it, it said that there is no iwindows instlalation on it. but when i did C drive, it worked.
  • edited November 2007
    i mesed up and needed to make a new install of windows. when i go to the recovery console it asks m what windows i want to log onto.. C or H, H has all the files i need on it, but i can not get to it because it says theres a missing or curupt hal.dll file. wbut when i type in bootcfg /list... it says that there is only one instnace of windows, C. How can i get it to recognize the H

i meant new boot, not new install.

and also, when i did do the repair instlal on C, it did not recognize the H drive. and only said i had 15 gb hard drive, when i actually have a 130 gb hard drive.
    edited November 2007
    do a chkdsk on H: to start
  • edited November 2007
    already did that, along with fixboot H:\, neither helped. when i try to start it, it tells me i need to repair hal.dll. i try doing expand F:\i368\hal.dl_H:\Windows\system32\hal.dll it said the directoty couyld not be found.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Shorty, please specify which thread you want to us to follow. If you and we try to track this thread and the other thread over here, we'll just confuse each other.
  • edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Shorty, please specify which thread you want to us to follow. If you and we try to track this thread and the other thread over here, we'll just confuse each other.

Stay on this on, but also look at http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66778
    for people who need to know some extra stuff.

sorry.
  • edited November 2007
    so can someone help?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    If you try to do a "Repair Installation," does the installation process find the correct Windows setup?
  • edited November 2007
    when i press R (to go to the recovery console)( and now tha ti hvae set up C drive as a windows instlalation) it asks for either C or H.
    but if i go to instlal, and choose to instlal on a dirve it recognizes C and H agian, but when i try H it says that it can nto be done. When i try to boot it nornally, it says tha ti need to repoar or replace the hall.dll
  • edited November 2007
    anyone?