Lapping Core2 Duo/Quad Heatspreader!

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited November 2007 in Hardware
I'm sure you all know I've never been one to just 'leave things alone' so I've decided to lap the IHS (integrated heat spreader) on my Q6600. After testing numerous heatsinks on it, I can say for certain that it is not an even surface. I've owned about half-dozen A64s in my time and I've never seen an IHS like this. Here are my results after just 15 minutes using 320 grit. Its no wonder one pair of cores runs so much hotter than the others! After reading around, it seems that this is a very common signt on conroe based processors (Core 2 Duo/Quad).

Work in progress, I'll post more pics and info as I go.

After only a few minutes, you can see that the IHS is concave overall with one side much higher than the others.
attachment.php?attachmentid=24284&stc=1&d=1194914729

After about 15 minutes on 320 grit. Look at how uneven that is--yikes.
attachment.php?attachmentid=24285&stc=1&d=1194914729

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    The B3 in my system No. 1 is lapped. I bought it used. The seller told it me was remarkably uneven before he lapped it.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I had that problem...I don't have any during pictures, but I have 2 after:

600 Grit:
    lapped1.jpg

After some polish (used Mothers Billet Aluminum polish)
    shiny3.jpg
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2007
    Here is another shot. Its getting there. Can't believe how much material is coming off at 320 grit and its not even flat yet.

Leo: After seeing this one, I don't doubt it. Apparently quite a few Core 2 generation processors are concave. From what I've seen, the AMD IHSs are designed to tighter tolerances.

Ryder: Very nice work :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=24286&stc=1&d=1194915451
    edited November 2007
    Yep, looks great. I see less TIM in your future and about 5C cooler temps...maybe more.
    edited November 2007
    OMG there is a face in my heatspreader! Scary.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24287&stc=1&d=1194916147
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:

Your great results are partly what inspired me to partake on this crazy journey! :)

Here is the latest:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24288&stc=1&d=1194917061
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    It's astounding when you realize you've been keeping the chip perfectly flat, and some parts are wearing off a <i>lot</i> faster than others. Then you realize how imperfect the surface really is. :(
    edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    It's astounding when you realize you've been keeping the chip perfectly flat, and some parts are wearing off a <i>lot</i> faster than others. Then you realize how imperfect the surface really is. :(

I know what you mean. I couldn't believe how much material came off before the surface was completely copper.

Here it is at the 320 grit completion.. finally flat.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24289&stc=1&d=1194922846

Worked it in at 600 grit. Looking a lot cleaner (although the picture makes it look a lot rougher than it is)

attachment.php?attachmentid=24290&stc=1&d=1194923320

Finally polished it off with 1500 grit for an almost mirror finish. I'll be putting it back together tomorrow to see the results :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=24291&stc=1&d=1194923320
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I don't have the huevos to do this to my proc...

It looks great, though!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    It's easier than you think. Trust me, you won't abrade through the heatspreader with medium and fine sandpaper. It's not like you are using a metal file.
    edited November 2007
    Its still alive :)

4-5 degree drop on the hottest core is the verdict according to CoreTemp 0.95.4 using a Scythe Mugen (Infinity). Not too shabby! :ninja:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Nice work!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    So, for Christmas im going to grab a evga 680i and 8800gt. Im going to lap my 6320 and my ocz vindicator. I was wondering if i sand down to a 2000 grit finish do you still need thermal compound or very much at all?
    edited November 2007
    You will still need it, but the dab can be smaller...too much will just be like insulation or just ooze out over the sides since the 2 surfaces will mate with a tighter tolerance, no place for it to sit (the extra TIM)