1U Box

Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
edited November 2003 in Hardware
This is a pointless thread but I thought some of you may be curious what a 1U Server (A Server box packed into a case 1.75" thick) might look like.

We built another one recently, here it is..

colo21.jpg
colo22.jpg
colo23.jpg

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    Actually, I've got a question for ya:

I know there are AGP riser cards (http://www.adexelec.com/agp32.htm#AGPRX4-2), but I don't think the AGP slot on most boards would line up with the slot cutout on the back of a 1u case, would it?

I've got a MSI K7D Master-L, and the AGP card goes in the second slot on the ATX backplate, as opposed to the top one, so my guess is that it would probably work, but I don't think my NF7-S would, because the AGP card is screwed onto the top slot cutout...

You have any idea whether or not I could rackmount a board like the NF7, which uses the uppermost slot cutout for the AGP slot, or if only boards like MSI's K7D, which uses the second from the top cutout would work?

The reason I ask is because I'll be going to college in a bit less than a year, and rather than lugging 3 towers (two of which are MASSIVE server cases that weigh >75lbs each) to the dorms, I was thinking about buying like a 15u rack and racking the things...
    I could use 3u/4u cases, but I'd rather use 2us, as that would let me add my extra hardware I have sitting around to my folding power...

Any ideas?
  • Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Well, to be honest I can't answer your question for certain - but I would definetly imagine that the AGP slot should use the second from the top slot for the riser to line up with the slot properlly in the back of the 2U case. I can't say for sure however.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Jammin! :D

Nice nice. Gotta love 1U units. Build, check and slap into the rack. Ya done.

Gonna hunt out a rack for my dualie :cool: as my work generously donated a smoked glass fronted 6U rack
  • Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    awesome!