New software has ruind my brand new laptop?

Master-Of-KindMaster-Of-Kind Brixton
edited November 2007 in Hardware
My brand new Presario V6000 will not boot windows, after i attached an 80gb hard drive via;usb and installed the software, my laptop on startup is telling me there is a problem preventing windows from starting up... need some help pretty urgently.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Unplug the USB drive. Quite common on some newer systems. The bios will recognize the USB as a bootable device and the boot order changes.

Either don't boot with it plugged in, or go into the bios and set the internal hard drive as the first boot device while the USB drive is plugged in.
  • Master-Of-KindMaster-Of-Kind Brixton
    edited November 2007
    It's no longer plugged into my PC yet im still having the same problem.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Can you tell me about the software? What did the software do?

Why did it need software to install a USB external drive, there should have been nothing needed to connect it to the PC, plug and play.

What model drive and enclosure? or if they came all as one..a link to the item might help.
    edited November 2007
    Dont worry, I've restored it back to a time it was working promtly, i just will not go near that software again. Thanks for your time.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    WHAT was the software you believe is the culprit?
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    WHAT was the software you believe is the culprit?
    Freecom ~Mobile Drive, The software doesnt have a distinct name just came with the package.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I'm not surprised. Many of the no-name external hard drive kits come with some pretty dodgy software. Most of the external drives I've had I assembled myself from separate hard drive and enclosure. The one time I bought a plug-and-play (ha ha) kit, I was surprised at how much crap there was pre-installed. Format, then install something useful like Cobian Backup (freeware) or Acronis True Image. Many of the no-names also contain bottom-of-the barrel hard drives.