Oh no!

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited December 2007 in Folding@Home
A word of advice. Check your folding stats often. I hadn't checked mine for weeks, then I did. I hadn't done any for four weeks. I looked at the config and username and team number were blank! Arghhhhh. I change them back (but how did they change) and am now handing points in again. I'm upgrading tomorrow so my points should go up again but what a pain. Four weeks of folding for no team under anonymous. :banghead:

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I've had that happen a few times... still don't know why though. :(
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2007
    ouch Bothered that is a PITA only time i've seen this behavior recently was when someone edit the client.cfg file with wordpad instead of running the -config flag.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007
    Nope- don't recollect having seen that one. Spike's guess is as good as any. However, I am personally glad it still folded regardless.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I've been folding since nearly the time Stanford started it. I've never had my client change it's configuration settings. What are you guys drinking?
    edited November 2007
    running the -config flag
    I always use " -configonly." Does " config" work too?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2007
    Strange eh? We used to have three PCs folding here. Youngest sons hasn't since we formatted it recently, but will again soon. Eldest sons folds but he turns his PC off when he goes to his girlfriends (for days at a time). This all means my folding has taken knock recently. I'm 100% sure nobody here would even think of editing the config or knew how to anyway. Still, today is when I upgrade from a 3500 single core AMD to a dual core 2.6 Intel, 1Gb to 4Gb, so when I reinstall FaH I should see a rise in output. :)
    edited November 2007
    Please install WinSMP. You'll see a dramatic production increase. You should see up to 1400PPD.
    edited November 2007
    1400 PPD! [insert old English phrase] Crikey! I'll certainly be having some of that.
    Thanks Leo.
    edited November 2007
    Bothered, Sir, please do a search here at Icrontic on SMP installation and implementation. It's a little tricky setting up, but the fun that follows makes it all worth it.
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    I always use " -configonly." Does " config" work too?
    Of course it does -config will allow setting all parameters and then starts the client, instead of -configonly which allows setting parameters but doesn't start the client
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I think my problems are based on file corruption (config file) or permissions getting screwed up and not allowing FaH to access the file. I think are the operable words.

I've never had a problem on any of my stable systems just ones that had other issues. ;)
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Please install WinSMP. You'll see a dramatic production increase. You should see up to 1400PPD.

I'd like to sort this in the morning. I still have my 'original' folding client crunching away. Do I just install WinSMP and set it up or do I need to reinstall folding at all?
    Thanks.
    edited November 2007
    controlc the console add the -oneunit flag let it finish the wu then remove the old client and download the SMP client , you will need to have the .net framework installed and you will need to run from a passworded account to run set up as MPI needs a passworded account.
    edited November 2007
    It finishes the WU in three hours so no problem there but,
    you will need to run from a passworded account to run set up as MPI needs a passworded account.
    I don't understand. I only have one account on my PC, there is no password, I.E. when I turn it on or reboot (it's never off) it just boots in to windows. I have .net installed.
    edited November 2007
    Gonna have to either add a password to your own account or create a new admin account then or SMP will not work.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    To install the SMP client it needs a username and password on some account (admin or personal) to run.
    edited November 2007
    Bothered, they are correct. There is no way around it - you must install an account password. If though, you are like me and don't wont' to log in each time you start the computer, there is a work around so the computer will automatically log in to Windows for you you.
    edited November 2007
    hint He has it running check the SMP PPD sticky :)
    edited November 2007
    hint He has it running
    That's what I get for posting before coffee in the morning. :rolleyes2
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited November 2007
    :coffee: who doesn't ? morning posting is a no-go for me in that respect :rolleyes2
    edited December 2007
    Leonardo wrote:

Here's an update. I'm so glad I listened to you guys about SMP. Anybody with any doubts take a look at this pic. The left is where my user name was missing so I didn't hand any points in. The middle part is what I used to do normally on the XP3500+ and the right hand side is after the Core 2 Duo and SMP install. Excellent. :D
    edited December 2007
    Good on you for persevering with it until it worked. SMP is a beautiful thing - WELL worth the hassle of setting it up.