Need to replace under achieving card

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited January 2004 in Hardware
I got a 9700 pro that REALLY underperforms. I mean 3dmark I am lucky to break 13k with a 3000+ oced to 2300 1 gig of ram and a 9700pro. Aquamark I get 21000 when people get in the 40000. I am thinking of a ti4800 8x to replace it with because my budget wont allow for a 9800pro or even a 9700pro. Igot the 9700pro for free so i am not complaining but i still need to upgrade.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I think there is something wrong with your system rather than just having an underperforming system...

Formatted Recently?

NS
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Ya, your card isn't even running at default speeds, unless you have all the sliders in the control panel cranked all the way to the right "max detail/beauty" settings.

Download Rage3DTweak, open up the overclocker and tell us what it's got for "Default" clock speeds.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    ok just checked my rage 3d core is 325 mem is 311 I have been fighting with this card for along time and I am about to give up! IVe had it oced to 345/325 and i dropped in performance but 2k pts in 3dmark and 4 k in aquamark. System specs

Ran win2k fresh install and winxp fresh install within the last 4 days and still had low scores.

Abit NF7-S v2.0
    AMD Xp 3000+ @ 2300 slk 900 w/ 53cfm Mechatronics fan
    1gig Kingston HyperX ram pc3500
    Saphire 9700pro ( POS! )
    WD 80gig SE 8mb Cache HD
    Maxtor 60gig 7200
    Pioneer 4x dvd-r
    Lite on 52 cdr/cdrw
    430 Thermaltake Purepower PS
    Chieftech case
    zoom modem ( yea yea yea )
    LOTS of mechatronics 53cfm fans
    edited November 2003
    BTW i am on AOL and Yahoo today under Gnomewizardd If you want to talk that way
    edited November 2003
    I only use ICQ atm. That is very wierd. When I had my 9700Pro on my AMD @ roughly 11X200, I was scoring in the ~16k range - overclocked card I admit, but this Gigabyte card is a crap overclocker. Ur definitely right, something very wrong there (but you knew that). Rage3D is reading correct stock clocks. Any chance it can be RMA'd? I saw you got it free but not the source, is it returnable?
    edited November 2003
    No i cant i got it from a friend for free. I am looking for a good card under 200 bucks I am looking at the ti4800 by gainward. what do you guys think I should get?
    edited November 2003
    edited November 2003
    what bout any nvidia cards?? the 5700 or the ti4800 or anything come close? I havent been keeping up with them at all
    edited November 2003
    The XT will eat the 5700 and spit out the tough transistors all day long. The 4800 may actually be faster in some games/benchmarks until you turn on AA/AF - plus the XT has DX9 extensions whereas the 4800 does not (the 5700 does). You can game on the 9600XT with the beauty setting CRANKED at very good framerates in most cases.

See all the review links under the item description on the NewEgg page? Go read 3 or 4 of em if you have the time.
    edited November 2003
    edited November 2003
    edited November 2003
    Ya, saw that one. Price is very reasonable but my main concern would be the experiences of a few members here who have recently bought refurbs (Equito and I can't remember who else) - the cards have been crap, obvious mods, smeared w AS, etc. If you REALLY want to keep in a budget, ti-4200's can be had around or just under $100, tho I don't have a link handy. The XT is still THE buy in the <$200 category.
    edited November 2003
    yea i think i will get teh xt but now i gotta decide is it wrth the xtra cash or should i get the saphire?
    edited November 2003
    Sapphire will be fine, if it's cheaper do it.
    edited November 2003
    not to mention i have a zalman heatpipe to rip off my 9700 pro and put on it! well thats if i wanna oc it

BTW i will be selling the 9700 pro for cheap when i get my new card
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    GnomeWizardd had this to say
    not to mention i have a zalman heatpipe to rip off my 9700 pro and put on it! well thats if i wanna oc it

BTW i will be selling the 9700 pro for cheap when i get my new card

Remind me NOT to buy that 9700 Pro :D;);)

Before you go to the drastic measure of replacing the card, have you formatted, done a clean Windows install and tried benching at stock clocks on the video card?

You could have farked video drivers, corrupted DirectX, or hell, even your AA & AF levels cranked too high during benchmarking.

You've checked all these?

BTW, 9600XT > 5700 Ultra > Ti4200/Ti4600 & AGP8x GF4 Ti cards :D
    edited November 2003
    GnomeWizardd had this to say

Ran win2k fresh install and winxp fresh install within the last 4 days and still had low scores.

Abit NF7-S v2.0
    AMD Xp 3000+ @ 2300 slk 900 w/ 53cfm Mechatronics fan
    1gig Kingston HyperX ram pc3500
    Saphire 9700pro ( POS! )
    WD 80gig SE 8mb Cache HD
    Maxtor 60gig 7200
    Pioneer 4x dvd-r
    Lite on 52 cdr/cdrw
    430 Thermaltake Purepower PS
    Chieftech case
    zoom modem ( yea yea yea )
    LOTS of mechatronics 53cfm fans

Does that answer your question simguy??

That 9700pro i might sell for 100 bucks with the zalman heatpipe which is 50 bucks
    edited November 2003
    When you benchmark, do you have your Direct3D settings set to the following selections?

//Edit: As well, do you have a MadOnion ORB compare reference link I can use to take a look at your latest 3DMark2001 SE benchmark score?
    edited November 2003
    its set like that but my last score was 13045
    edited November 2003
    Let me try running a bench with a Ti4400 on my Barton 2500 @ 3200 (200x11) and see what turns up.

I can't understand why your system would be benching like this...

Humm.....
    edited November 2003
    Okay... either there's something we can't identify that's causing this problem, or the card may be fubar'd.

I just ran a benchmark with a Ti4400 on an AXP 2500 @ 3200.
    The Ti4400 @ default clocks reads 12,063. An IDENTICAL system with the R9700Pro runs 17,452.

HOWEVER, at stock R9700 Pro speeds, my P4 2.26 @ 2.55 with WinXP & DX9 scores 13,729 3DMarks, which doesn't sound very far off the mark with yours. However, with that 2300 AMD MHz, you should be smoking this system.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7061531

Seeing that the 3200 is at a speed slower than your 2300, there is something really strange going on.

Are you using Omega drivers or vanilla Catalysts? What is your CPU Multi & FSB set to? DDR timings? Dual-Channel? 1:1?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Just remember than a 9600 XT is slower than a real 9700 Pro.
    edited November 2003
    i know it is! but the problem is this real 9700 pro has never run like a real 9700 pro!

amd xp 3000+ @ 2310 221 x 10.5 my ddr is at dual channel
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Gnome,

There is something else that is wrong.

Can you run a Sandra memory bandwidth benchmark?

I´m on IM if you need any help.
    edited November 2003
    aight I will do that when I am done packing my stomache with turkey! I gotta go they are wondering where i went!
    edited November 2003
    3646 on the RAm Int buffered
    2924 on the RAM Float buffered

this is an old version of sisoft but it works! I am gonna go start to dl the new one
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    That's pretty good i must say. Well above average.

I think we need to do a reinstall of the os and all the other tools but they need to be installed in the right order. I'm not saying you have done it wrong or so, but we need to start somewhere.

If it is the card that is wrong, i suspect that 4 of the pipelines are disabled somehow. Have you flashed the videocards bios?
    edited November 2003
    yes i did a flash of the video bios and it didnt help.. The Winxp os was just reinstalled yesterday to try and solve this problem. I did a win2k install 4 days ago to see what i could turn up with a diff OS. alas same results
    edited November 2003
    BTW i am on aol or yahoo now if you see this send me a PM i wanan try and figure this out !
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    So if the choice was between a 9600XT or a Sapphire 9800 Pro...wouldn't the Pro win out on performance? Just thinking of upgrading options prior to HL2..