hd enclosure issue

edited November 2007 in Hardware
ok so I have a nextsar 3 enclosure with a WD 500gb sata 2 hdd. it has USB 2.0 and esata connections. I have xp pro installed on a gigabyte ds3r motherboard. i installed the o/s without raid drivers and so the sata hard drive and dvd driive are set for sata ide not raid or ahci. i am using the esata bracket provided with my motherboard. my drive detects fine and i can hot swap it. here is my problem. the transfer time of a 1gb file to the drive over esata is exactly the same give or take 10 seconds as when it is connected via USB 2.0. why is this? isnt esata supposed to be like 5 times faster?

thanks in advance

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    E-Sata technology isn't very firm yet. Sure, it's the hot new thing, but problems abound, not at all unlike what you are describing. Wish I had a fix for you. The problems are not at all limited to Gigabyte.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I should mention, I've got the same NexStar enclosure you have. It's a very nice unit, for sure. I haven't even tried E-Sata with it. I'm just not interested in playing with that given the all the reported problems. It works very well in USB 2.0, so for me, so be it.
  • edited November 2007
    thanks for the reply, Leonardo. man, I wish i could figure this out. It has been bugging me for the past few days. I may keep messing with it and i will post back here if I find anything out. it's just annoying when I read online other places of people having good results with esata and I cant seem to get it to work right!!