Anyone ever have XP Repair not work?

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited November 2007 in Science & Tech
I'd like to upgrade my dad's machine with some of my old hardware. He won't do a reformat and reinstall, so I was planning to just do a repair.

I've never had any problems with it, but I wanted to see if anyone's ever encountered an instance where they couldn't get an old install of XP working with a new mb, proc, mem upgrade?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Repair installs are likely to work.
    Repair installs don't always work.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    Yes, I've had cases where it didn't work, but they were rare. But if you aren't paying attention and don't have the right drivers collected ahead of time, especially for the network card you can be dead in the water when it comes back.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited November 2007
    Plenty...
  • edited November 2007
    Happened to me when a boot file was missing.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    They have always worked when it was just the OS, or a software problem, that was Fubared.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Usually work, rarely don't work. I've had one Repair Installation that did not work. It was due to file corruption so bad that Windows could not detect an existing Windows installation.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007
    I'm batting a 1000 so far, but haven't done it a lot and there are cases I know it doesn't work. There have been a couple of times I thought it didn't work, but they were cases of remembering that you have to run all the Windows and driver updates again.