SMP problems

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited November 2007 in Folding@Home
I think am just being stupid, but here it is. I have installed the SMP client and follow all of the steps outlined. It then automatically starts, a command prompt window. If I close that window it stops folding. When I restart the computer, there are some programs for Folding@home running, but not the same ones when I first get it going. Could use some clarification about what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    Uhhh....if you close the window of course it is going to stop.....

Its not able to run as a service.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited November 2007
    Uhhh.....Then what's the point of it asking you if you want it to run as a service......Uhhhh

Thanks for the help!!!!!!
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited November 2007
    That feature is still bugged... it might work though, but Stanford doesnt garantee it. Try it yourself!
  • 7im7im AZ
    edited November 2007
    The run as service in the SMP client is not yet supported by Stanford, hence the "beta" version of the client, and doesn't work straight out of the box. However, there are workarounds to make it run. Modify the fah servie to run as the same user account that you used to install the SMP client (instead of running as a system account).

I'd point you to the Folding forum thread that talks about it, but, well, it's been down the last few days. I expect it will be back up soon on a new server.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2007
    Radio91P wrote:
    If I close that window it stops folding.
    I just minimise mine to the task bar.
    edited November 2007
    bothered wrote:
    I just minimise mine to the task bar.

Or you can use the TrayIt proggy to send the fah window to the systray... if you, like me, dont like the cmd window laying around in the task bar. :)
  • Venz-DirgeVenz-Dirge Silicon Valley
    edited November 2007
    Hey there, I have a different problem..

I leave it minimized in the task bar...no problem most the time...however everyonce and a while one of my kids uses my system and I assume shut it down by accident...I notice when I start it up it notes the improper shutdown......after a few of these I seem to need to reinstall to get it to run right (or it hangs).

now recently in the last week or so I'm getting jobs that are getting interupted because deadline has expired. (at like 41 percent very frustrating)

I assume there is some command I can run it with to exclude deadline jobs?

anyone help me out here?
    edited November 2007
    Whenever your kids shut down the computer, the client is terminated improperly. It should be closed with a Control-C command before shutting down the PC.

Depending on what your setup is, you may not be finishing these WUs unless the computer is left on 24/7. There is no more deadliness WUs, specially with SMPs, so thats out of the question.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I assume shut it down by accident...
    Shut down the Folding client or the computer by accident? If it's shutting down the computer, I have nothing to say. If it's accidentally shutting down the client, I do have a suggestion. Install TrayIt and minimize the Folding window to the system tray. You can see TrayIt so that minimized programs in the tray will only open with a right click and subsequent menu selection.
  • Venz-DirgeVenz-Dirge Silicon Valley
    edited November 2007
    I'll deffinity need to check out that tray it program, I'm sure it's just the window being shut down.

My system IS on 24/7 it's a
    AMD athalon 64 X2 Duel Core 3800+
    running at 2Ghz
    With 1 GB of ram.

to quote from the console window...

"Unit 8's deadline (November 29th 21:10) has passed
    Going to interupt core and move on next unit..."

If you look at my stats...
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=158029
    you can see the dropoff I'm looking at... I belive the small amounts that are still showing are probably from a rather weak desktop I have running at work. this system is much better but not producing.

Part of my issue with it is...It never seems to acually move on...after that statment the next would be that it's completed anouther percent.
    then anouther deadline as passed message.

should I let it finish? I'd hate to waste anouther half a day or whatever it's going to take to finish the unit if it's not worth anything.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    TrayIt: simple, cool, effective, user friendly, small footprint, FREE

TrayIt!
    edited November 2007
    Venz Dirge wrote:
    I'll deffinity need to check out that tray it program, I'm sure it's just the window being shut down.

My system IS on 24/7 it's a
    AMD athalon 64 X2 Duel Core 3800+
    running at 2Ghz
    With 1 GB of ram.

to quote from the console window...

"Unit 8's deadline (November 29th 21:10) has passed
    Going to interupt core and move on next unit..."

If you look at my stats...
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=158029
    you can see the dropoff I'm looking at... I belive the small amounts that are still showing are probably from a rather weak desktop I have running at work. this system is much better but not producing.

Part of my issue with it is...It never seems to acually move on...after that statment the next would be that it's completed anouther percent.
    then anouther deadline as passed message.

should I let it finish? I'd hate to waste anouther half a day or whatever it's going to take to finish the unit if it's not worth anything.

I have just a similar folder but with 2Gb ram, with Linux, running as a server, and if nothing uses the CPU, it usually finishes a SMP WU with 40% time left, so its overall eligible for this client. It does like 28-30min per frame.

Check your MPF, something is definetly eating all CPU cycles and wont allow to finish the WU in time.

And to your last question. Once Fah detects its missed the deadline, the client itself stops and downloads a new WU. So you dont have to do anything, and also wont waste more power on that missed WU.