PC won't get past BIOS screen/shuts down after time period

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hai all,
I installed new hardware last night, got it running turned the PC on, pressed F1 like it said and it shut down- it shuts down repeatedly on boot and won't get past the BIOS screen- when I get there it shuts down after a certain time anyway- It got far enough to get a BSOD then shut down. If I don't get this fixed tonight I will fail my ICT GCSE. Kinda urgent, any help apprciated

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    What was the new hardware installed?

What was the hardware that remains, to include the PSU?
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    What was the new hardware installed?

What was the hardware that remains, to include the PSU?

New hardware:
    ASUS P5N-SLi mobo
    2.67GHz Core 2 Duo LGA775
    CD/DVD Drive
    Antec 900 PC case
    2x1GB DDR2 HyperX Memory (SLi Ready)

Existing hardware, installed in the new configuration
    nVidia 7600GT
    160GB HDD

Not sure about the PSU
  • beatzbeatz i am a hamburger Member
    edited November 2007
    Just looked up the case in google. Looks nice with the two 120mm fans in front. Case cooling shouldn't be the problem :wink:.

Did you change any bios settings? Can you get into the bios and have a look at the system information provided there, temperatures and voltages. If you are not sure if the values are okay just post them here.

Good look with you test!
    edited November 2007
    The PC doesn' stay on long enough for me to be able to read the BIOs properly, I only get a quick glance before it shuts down :S
    HALP :D
    edited November 2007
    Are you sure that you installed the cpu heatsink and the thermal compound right? An overheating cpu could cause an immediate shutdown.
    edited November 2007
    beatz wrote:
    Are you sure that you installed the cpu heatsink and the thermal compound right? An overheating cpu could cause an immediate shutdown.

Hmm, well, I wasn't sure about installing the CPU as it didn't go in very easily, the fan was also being a bit of a pain to install, but the case has 7 fans all making the case insanely cold inside, it even has a 20 CM fan 5cm away from the processor itself. Could it really overheat that fast?
    edited November 2007
    what about the thermal paste?

If the heatsink is not sitting right on the cpu, it will heat up almost instantely and the pc will shutdown to protect the cpu. I am not sure if your symptons really match this case. Just a reason I could image for your problem.

Also you could disconnect all the drives to take some load of your PSU to see if you can get into the bios then. Might tell us if your PSU is to weak. Could you post some info about the PSU and about the hardware you had running with it before.
    edited November 2007
    I don't know which PSU I have, it was a standard one that came with a standard Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P.

But I have gone from a GA-8S649MF motherboard to an ASUS P5N-SLi
    From 2GB DDR to two GB DDR2
    From a 3.0GHz Celeron D to a 2.67GHz Core 2 Duo with 1.3GHz FSB
    From no case fans except for a HDD cooler to 7 fans including a PCI card
    A new DVD/CD burner

In the new case the PCI card fan is putting out more cold air than before in the case with less things running off the PSU. How is that? Or is it not related?
    edited November 2007
    i'll try unplugging all the fans, since they;re using alot of power from the PSU (I assume)
    edited November 2007
    THANKS :D It finally works, that was exactly the problem xD It's running like a charm and I feel cold even sitting next to the damn thing :P Thanks for your help :D:D
    edited November 2007
    So, are you saying then that unplugging the case fans allowed the computer to boot into Windows and work properly? If I've interpreted your last post correctly, it means one of the following: 1) your PSU is defective or woefully underpowered for your system, or 2) one of your case fans is somehow shorting or interfering with normal BIOS and motherboard routines preventing booting. I really doubt the latter.

It would appear you need to purchase a new PSU.
    edited November 2007
    Neither, I meant the processor was installed badly- the fan was on wonky so the compound was not touching all of the processor. I had a hard time reading the instructions when installing the damned fan :P Everything's installed perfectly and it's running as it should be :D Not had a chance to test and games yet since I'm downloading patches etc, but other than that working fine so far
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2007
    verify your temps under full load....

Cowboy
    edited November 2007
    Okay... I'm new to the whole cooling category of PC modding (I'm only 16, give me time :P). I'd gladly do it, but I don't know how to or what full load means >.< If ye could gimme a link for the download tool, which I assume is what I need and what full load means I'll post them ASAP :D
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2007
    Full mode just meant if your gaming etc... when the cpu is running hard... .
    thats when your temps are the hottest.

I mean this nice but be careful!' That heatsink/fan is now mounted to where the MB does not shut it off automatically to save ya.... If its mounted better it might work better but not really right yet...
    The heatsink/fan combo needs to keep your cpu cool at full load.

Cowboy
    edited November 2007
    Okay... I'm new to the whole cooling category of PC modding (I'm only 16, give me time
    Not a problem. We all started as neophytes.

Download and install Core Temp. Run it, and tell us what the core temperatures are. After you've accomplished that, we'll move on to full load (to run your CPU at 100% utilization) as Tex advised.
    edited November 2007
    Okay, I'll do that when I get home- I'm at school atm :(
    edited November 2007
    Here's the temps
    (Taken while gaming and playing music)
    edited November 2007
    Temperatures look fine now! Enjoy your new hardware :wink:

Actually the CPU you bought is a pretty good Overclocker. So if you feel like you need more CPU power, you could investigate in how to do it and learn some more about computers, BUT overclocking would most likely require a new PSU.

:rockon:
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, I was considering it, but so far with my luck with hardware, I don't want to risk breaking it- as I heard that's what happens. I'm on a babysitting budget and I just spent all my money on this system, so if it does go poof I can't afford to get a new one :( But I'm able to overclock my RAM, Graphics card and processor xD Would be quite fun but risky as far as I know- Is it?
    edited November 2007
    Those are very good core temperatures! You definitely have plenty of thermal headroom for overclocking. By thermal headroom, I mean that you are no where near the upper limits of heat.

If you wish to test 'full load' operations and see what temperatures that brings, try one of the following:

Orthos
    Prime 95 (get the version that runs two cores simultaneously)
    edited November 2007
    Okay, it's started and the temps are rising slowly :P It's 2 minutes in and at 41-40 xD When does it stop?
    EDIT: Staying steady at 41-40/41C
    edited November 2007
    When does it stop?
    When it's steady.
    steady at 41-40/41C
    edited November 2007
    Those are very good temperatures. You've got enough headroom to do about whatever you want.
    edited November 2007
    Okay, they're both staying at 41-40, Core 0 neve went above 42.
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Those are very good temperatures. You've got enough headroom to do about whatever you want.

Awesome :D I'll go and ask how to overclock it in the appropriate forum then :P Thanks all :D Swift fix and excellant advice. Gogo Icrontic! *cheer*