Penryn/Phenom SMP performance

2»

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2007
    DanG wrote:
    Link on how to set that up?

I forget what thread I posted it in, some quad thread. Try a search for it in the FAH forum.

2 clients + install the program Leo mentioned. It runs as a service, you never see it again. Just open the 2 clients and the program sets the afinity for the cores automatically. Easy 700-800PPD increase from only 2 SMP clients alone.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Dan, HERE is the Affinity Changer download page. Simple: download, run it, fire and forget. If you wish to turn it off (don't know why you would) simply go to Services and turn it off.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    well I finally felt the AS5 on my server was cured enought to start bumping up the OC, and my B3 is sitting at 3.02GHz so far and still running a max of 53c under load. This puts my 2 quad rigs at roughly 5300ppd for the pair, but I can always use another 2700ppd :D
    edited December 2007
    Dan, don't be afraid to boost vCore higher. Both B3 and G0 will take much higher core temps than 53C, and in stride.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2007
    In case anyone still cares:

More Phenom Comparisons

I suppose the most heart-sickening shocker for me are the

Power Comparisons

AMD was supposed to champion this ....
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    :sawed:=AMD $&#((* performance..... as idiotic as this sounds; as a partial fanboi of Intel this is good news ... but has a computer hobbyist this is distressing news. If Intel lacks the quality competition of AMD, will the processor development be compromised ... or will my wallet just stay fatter:bigggrin:
    edited December 2007
    AMD was supposed to champion this ....
    Problem was twofold: 1) AMD let their technological and markets wins of 2002-2005 swell their heads, and 2) Intel woke up and has not sat still since waking.

Gotta love AMD's PR department. According to them, AMD quad core is a mid-range product at competitive price so that ordinary users can afford new technology. And to think, we used to bash Intel for their PR spin!
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited December 2007
    HOLY COW!!

How about 5500PPD out of a 4Ghz Yorkfield with 2 Linux VMs setup??

:wow:
    edited December 2007
    5 minutes an SMP frame ... gots ta get me one a those :D
    edited December 2007
    Leonardo strokes his chin and starts scheming how to establish a slush fund that his wife won't know about.

Hmm - lunch money! I'll brownbag at work. That adds up! Oh wait, I already brown bag.

Coffee fund! Ah...no, I take hot coffee in to work with me.

Find a cheaper cellphone plan! Oh, hmm, I don't have a cellphone.

Ah, I'll do my son's chores and he'll pay me! Oh crap, he's a college student and could only give me IOUs.

m u s t t h i n k o f s o m e t h i n g
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2007
    bicycle to work all year round...I got nothin.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Sperm Bank.
    edited December 2007
    Sperm Bank
    No go - my pet Greyhound, Turbo the Wonderdog is neutered.
    edited December 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    No go - my pet Greyhound, Turbo the Wonderdog is neutered.

I'm afraid that there are some things Folding won't cure ....

Finances can be a juggling act in a busy family- all "my" rigs are also used for personal/business. One of the reasons you won't likely see true 24/7 operation out of me anytime soon.

I also enjoy my job as it is- so I may never make a fortune and enjoy a "Fantastic Folding Farm" full of Yorkfields, etc.