windows doesnt start up and computer makes a clicking noise every 4 seconds

edited December 2007 in Hardware
ok..past history..i think there is a virus on the computer from about 6 months ago or more...the problem went away on its own..

originally the computer would start rebooting itself and then i couldnt turn it on...i would leave it alone for about 12 hours turned off and then it would miraculously start working again...

this happened maybe 2 or 3 more times over the last 6 months until i got home last tuesday...

now the computer wont even boot up into windows..it asks for a boot disk to continue and i dont have one..its a compaq presario with windows XP..its about 3 1/2 years old...

i have most of the data backed up from 6 months ago ..but some of it is still unsaved..so id like to be able to restore it as opposed to completely erasing the hard drive and reinstalling windows..

im clueless when it comes to computers....all i know is i cant get the computer past the black screen that asks for a boot disk which compaq never supplied me with..(i received nothing with this computer other than a useless catalog)

i have a windows XP reinsallation disk from my father's Dell ..those are the tools i have to work with...please help..the computer im typing on is so old it barely can surf the net...

thanks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    You have a bad hard drive. There's nothing you can do to save the information on it, I'm sorry. You're going to have to purchase a new hard drive for it, then order recovery CDs from compaq to put windows back on the machine.

The Dell XP disc will not work.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2007
    It sounds like your harddrive is shot. The clicking noise is usually the 1st sign, it's the platters rubbing against the head, it's not good. You've got to buy a new harddrive. You may, if you are lucky be able to backup the old hdd onto the new one, but don't count on it.

Now as for installing windows again that Dell repair install disk won't work. You have to have an XP cd.
  • edited November 2007
    ouch..thats not the answer i wanted..haha..ok..well i had some of the important stuff backed up from a few months ago..so i should try to install a new hard drive and go from there??

this is Compaq Presario SR1030NX with

AMD Athlon 3000+(2.16GHz)
    512 mb pc 2700 ddr SDRAM
    160GB 7200 RPM hard drive
    9-1 memory card reader
    firewire
    usb 2.0
    dvd writer

is it worth it to buy a new hard drive or just buy a whole new computer ...i wanted to buy a laptop on black friday but all the good deals were gone! so i really dont want to have to buy a new laptop and a new desktop..hopefully i can get buy with a cheap hard drive and finding someone with an XP disk to reinstall?? ..i have about $600 budget for a laptop and upgraded RAM..but i didnt have a new desktop in my budget...

so im about to research hard drives on newegg.com and see what this might run me...if u know any websites that are cheaper for computers please tell me..thanks
    edited November 2007
    It's not an XP repair disk. You need a full XP disk to do a new install. You can't use anyone else's as it will already have been activated and your code, which will be an OEM code won't work with some one elses disks.

You need to try and contact Compaq and see if you can order the repair disks for your specific system. Otherwise you have to buy a full version of XP.
  • edited November 2007
    how do i find out the type of hard drive i can connect to my computer..when i look them up there are different types of hard drives ..like scsi,pata, sata ..i have no idea which are compatible to my computer...i currently have a 7200 rpm 160 gb ultra dma..whatever that means

as far as windows XP..my buddy reinstalled XP on 2 of my computers from a disc he had a few years back..so was that not legal or something? if i have to buy XP and a hard drive..im better off buying a whole new computer ..XP is 200 bucks at best buy..what a ripoff!
  • edited November 2007
    looks like its an ATA hard drive ..i compared the connectors to some pix on seagate's website ...newegg sells similar hard drives for about 50-100 bucks...i hope i am right..is there any tutorial anywere online that has a lot of pix and explanations to help me make sure im right..
    edited November 2007
    It won't be scsi. It's likely ATA, which is the same as PATA. Easiest way to check is if the ribbon going to the harddrive is the same style of ribbon connecting to your optical drive it's almost certainly ATA/PATA. While there are SATA optical drives available I've yet to see one come from a manufacturer that way.
  • edited December 2007
    it will work with someone elses disk if you use your code and the copy you are using is oem
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    XP is 200 bucks at best buy
    Best Buy is a real loser, in my opinion, for buying computer components. They try to be all things to all people. Additionally, Best Buy clerks are hit or miss when it comes to computer knowledge. Many of them can't even explain the specs printed on a box. I hold my nose every time I enter that store, which is not very often.

If you must buy retail from a local store, go first to Fry's (if available), or CompUSA. CompUSA's selection is usually 2 to 3X better than BBs for computer components, and the store clerks are usually much more knowledgeable.

BB may be good for huge TVs and clothes dryers, but stay away when it comes to computer parts.

What's wrong with ordering online from Newegg? You need the parts/Windows CD right away?